BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Unlockikng With Key Fob Or Android App Issues

06-17-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Unlockikng With Key Fob Or Android App Issues

Vehicle will not fold mirrors in when the vehicle is unlocked using the remote app or key fob and no doors are opened within the default period when the vehicle automatically re-locks again. I'm not sure if it was doing this before my dealer updated iDrive from 07/2019.59 to 03/2020.31 as I don't remember checking this previously. I don't see anything in the manual stating that this is by default. So possibly another bug with iDrive.

Scenario:
• Car is locked with mirrors folded in and alarm activated.
• At a minimum of 15 to 20 feet from the vehicle (minimum distance is only required if using the key fob), Unlock the car by either pressing the unlock button on the key fob or sending an “Unlock” command via the BMW Android App.
• Do not open any doors or the trunk for approximately 2 minutes or so.
• After the required BMW default wait time (when the vehicle automatically re-locks if no doors or the trunk are opened) the vehicle re-locks but Does NOT fold in the mirrors. It also does NOT enable the vehicle alarm.
• Car\Settings\Doors/Access\Comfort access\ is set to “Lock when walking away”.
• Car\Settings\Doors/Access\ “Fold mirrors in when locked” is Enabled/Check Box checked.

This sounds like a bug. However, knowing the way BMW engineers live and work in some third dimension maybe this is intentional.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have never checked this specifically on my X7 (I have the mirror folding option disabled in my settings), but the mirror folding logic that BMW uses does not always make sense, at least based on my experience with other BMWs. For example, on my F80 M3, the mirrors will only fold under certain locking conditions, depending if the key fob is used vs the actual key vs the app, etc - just like what you experienced. This leads me to believe this is actually how the software in the car is written (i.e. on purpose) as opposed to a software bug.

Now why BMW has software that would intentionally do something like this, your guess is as good as mine. Most of the time I really like the tech in my BMWs, but some functionality logic makes me scratch my head a bit .....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I have never checked this specifically on my X7 (I have the mirror folding option disabled in my settings), but the mirror folding logic that BMW uses does not always make sense, at least based on my experience with other BMWs. For example, on my F80 M3, the mirrors will only fold under certain locking conditions, depending if the key fob is used vs the actual key vs the app, etc - just like what you experienced. This leads me to believe this is actually how the software in the car is written (i.e. on purpose) as opposed to a software bug.

Now why BMW has software that would intentionally do something like this, your guess is as good as mine. Most of the time I really like the tech in my BMWs, but some functionality logic makes me scratch my head a bit .....
Since this issue doesn't enable the alarm system which is part of the vehicle I would think they could be liable if the car was stolen or broken into. Especially since there is no information in the owner's manual addressing differences in functionality between the different locking methods.

Primarily, the manual states that if the car is locked the alarm is set unless you disable the alarm by pressing the "BMW" button within 10 seconds as soon as the vehicle is locked. Additionally, see the section "Switching on/off" in the owner's manual below. Intentional or not this is a problem.

Standby for another iDrive update that fixes this and breaks 3 other things that were working before the update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0