F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Right tune with xPH
Studio RSR

06-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

Right tune with xPH

I have JB4 locked in right now, i have MHD sitting behind. I don't want to put them on together, jm not knowledgeable in any of this. I like a daily driver that when i say go it goes, fast. That being said, im preparing to add the xHP flash on Friday. Ive been told two different things: don't run two different flashes together, they confuse each other; or it's ok, you can, each one is meant for two different things, they work independently. Im a bit confused and concerned here. I understand the maps of the car are the brains behind the power, you really shouldn't confuse it, alternatively, ive read jb4 can blow a motor; lets stay away from that. Ultimately, im not looking to go light to light looking for the next car to embarrass, im looking for my car to not embarrass itself.

Im going to upgrade the spark plugs n coils tomorrow, should hopefully fix the random between gear hiccups.

At the end of the day, can i get some opinions or expert advise? This forum has been very helpful, i have learned a lot, im look forward to learning more!
- Injen intake
- Active Autowerke intercooler
- Active Autowerke charge pipe
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Can you clarify your question? Are you asking if you can install XHP and run the JB4 at the same time? I am actually not 100% certain if there is any concern with flashing XHP while the JB4 is still installed. I would presume no, since XHP is a trans flash, but at the same time generally speaking you dont want to do any flash like MHD while the JB4 is still installed. Someone with JB4+XHP experience will need to confirm that, or you can email XHP or JB4 support to confirm (safest option).

You can definitely run XHP and MHD at the same time, that's the point really, and there is a option at flash time for MHD to "let the tune know" that you have XHP installed already.

My advice, and the most conservative approach, is just remove the JB4 completely, make sure the car is running as it should without the JB4, then use that as a starting point to install XHP and then MHD as i mentioned in the other thread.

Also, i don't know what you mean by "random between gear hiccups" but doing plugs and coils wouldnt be on the top of my list to address that. Plugs might be a good idea anyways before tuning depending on existing plugs and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

xHP can be used independently of JB4 or MHD.

JB4 or MHD - choose one - that is the simple answer. I would strongly recommend MHD as mentioned before as you are not a DIY'er.
      06-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Can you clarify your question? Are you asking if you can install XHP and run the JB4 at the same time? I am actually not 100% certain if there is any concern with flashing XHP while the JB4 is still installed. I would presume no, since XHP is a trans flash, but at the same time generally speaking you dont want to do any flash like MHD while the JB4 is still installed. Someone with JB4+XHP experience will need to confirm that, or you can email XHP or JB4 support to confirm (safest option).

You can definitely run XHP and MHD at the same time, that's the point really, and there is a option at flash time for MHD to "let the tune know" that you have XHP installed already.

My advice, and the most conservative approach, is just remove the JB4 completely, make sure the car is running as it should without the JB4, then use that as a starting point to install XHP and then MHD as i mentioned in the other thread.

Also, i don't know what you mean by "random between gear hiccups" but doing plugs and coils wouldnt be on the top of my list to address that. Plugs might be a good idea anyways before tuning depending on existing plugs and mileage.
That was very helpful, thank you!

I would never run both tunes together. Im trying to determine which tune would be safely effective with a transmission flash.

Im not really sure how to refer to it more than a hiccup. Occasionally, when my car shifts between gears i feel this hesitation. It feels like the acceleration pauses for a second and comes right back. It feels like my engine is beginning to disagree with jb4.

I had springs installed today and i asked them to take it for a spin, he felt it too. He's felt the same thing with his car before, changed his spark plugs and coils and it disappeared. My car has 48000 miles, his belief is the engine is being introduced to so much more power with that amount of miles very suddenly.

Im sorry if im unable to describe it well, please bear with me lol.
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by a404freedom View Post

I would never run both tunes together. Im trying to determine which tune would be safely effective with a transmission flash.

Im not really sure how to refer to it more than a hiccup. Occasionally, when my car shifts between gears i feel this hesitation. It feels like the acceleration pauses for a second and comes right back. It feels like my engine is beginning to disagree with jb4.

I had springs installed today and i asked them to take it for a spin, he felt it too. He's felt the same thing with his car before, changed his spark plugs and coils and it disappeared. My car has 48000 miles, his belief is the engine is being introduced to so much more power with that amount of miles very suddenly.

Try to fully disconnect the JB4 and see if the problem goes away (you can also try first in map0). If it does the JB4 is the problem. I dont think it is spark plugs or coils with so little power and miles.
      06-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:

Try to fully disconnect the JB4 and see if the problem goes away (you can also try first in map0). If it does the JB4 is the problem. I dont think it is spark plugs or coils with so little power and miles.
That definitely something i want to look in to tomorrow. If i remove jb4 and the problem is still present will bmw still be able too see there was a tune? My car is under warranty and if its not jb4 it's obviously something id like bmw to take care of. Keep in mind ive put everything from intercooler to exhaust and anything ever between, minus a downpipe.
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:

That definitely something i want to look in to tomorrow. If i remove jb4 and the problem is still present will bmw still be able too see there was a tune? My car is under warranty and if its not jb4 it's obviously something id like bmw to take care of. Keep in mind ive put everything from intercooler to exhaust and anything ever between, minus a downpipe.
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:

- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If the JB4 is properly removed with no trace left behind it will not be able to be detected by BMW. However they can use any modification as a means to deny a warranty claim. Its unlikely for small $ claims and/or anything not directly caused by the modification, but its possible.

Given everything that's been discussed and your intent to switch to MHD anyways, my suggestion is exactly as i said out in the other thread. Remove the JB4, test drive the car and make sure its running properly, then proceed with XHP and MHD. If there are any issues with the car after the JB4 is removed, address those before tuning, as a tune will not fix mechanical or underlying issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

If you log your car you can provide the log for review by BMS support.

I run JB4 with MHD BEF with no issues and will be flashing xHP later this year as well.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I dont know if you can change the title or its too late, but it says XPH

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightelf View Post
Why not run a MHD + Jb4 , with the MHD as a backend flash. Boys over at Burger have backend flash maps already configured, ready to go, that will work flawlessly with the MHD setup... And yes, since MHD has the option to recognize the xHP flash, you wouldn't have issues there. That would be the Trifecta right there.
If you read through his threads, OP does not have the knowledge to operate the JB4. I would not recommend this level of complexity for someone in his position. He needs more of a set it and forget it solution. The JB4 with BEF is certainly a viable option for a more advanced user who wants more control, but is not the best way to go here.
Appreciate 0