M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 8 Series Eye Readers

06-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition

8 Series Eye Readers

I've seen in Non United States (go figure, strict US regulations..) BMW 8 Series have eye readers for the adaptive cruise control. My M850i has the readers as I'm sure all the 8 Series do, but they're turned off here in the US. I'm assuming it's a software block, so anyone know of a patch or loophole us owners in the US can get around?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM850i View Post
I've seen in Non United States (go figure, strict US regulations..) BMW 8 Series have eye readers for the adaptive cruise control. My M850i has the readers as I'm sure all the 8 Series do, but they're turned off here in the US. I'm assuming it's a software block, so anyone know of a patch or loophole us owners in the US can get around?
I'm guessing that you mean the Driver's Attention camera which is right above the 8-series logo in the digital cockpit. On my 2020 M850i here in the US it is completely active and will negate the full Driving Assistance Professional feature aka "auto pilot" regardless if I have pressure on the wheel (checkpoint 1) and am looking away from the road (checkpoint 2). Is that what you are referring to in the way of "Eye Readers"?

I believe it should function the same way for the core adaptive cruise control if the car is not fully optioned with the Driving Assistance Pro package. However, in the US models the Driver's Attention camera may not exist with out the full boat package.
Appreciate 1
AM850i72.00
      06-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Only with Active Driving Assistant Pro (5AU)
iDrive - Car - Settings - General Settings - Driver Attention Camera - Activate/Deactivate
[Z4=N/A ]

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 06-10-2020 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I'm guessing that you mean the Driver's Attention camera which is right above the 8-series logo in the digital cockpit. On my 2020 M850i here in the US it is completely active and will negate the full Driving Assistance Professional feature aka "auto pilot" regardless if I have pressure on the wheel (checkpoint 1) and am looking away from the road (checkpoint 2). Is that what you are referring to in the way of "Eye Readers"?

I believe it should function the same way for the core adaptive cruise control if the car is not fully optioned with the Driving Assistance Pro package. However, in the US models the Driver's Attention camera may not exist with out the full boat package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Yes, my 2019 First Edition has the Pro package. I've seen videos on YouTube where you can take your hands off the wheel and the system will stay active as long as you're looking at the road.

I just tried it and the system shuts off after 25 seconds. I tried with the driver attention camera on and off. Both times the system deactivated after about 25 seconds. What's the point of the camera if the steering wheel needs pressure? (Luckily, I've noticed that just placing your knee on the wheel works to keep the system engaged.)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

IM'm pretty sure the driver attention camera's main function is to, basically, wake you up - i.e., keep you alert - under all conditions, not just if you have activated adaptive cruise control. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not designed to allow you to keep your hands off the wheel during active cruise control.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Camera Functional Description:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VncmAbYWQ
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but this feature - seemingly written in European-style metrics - doesn’t seem to work in the U.S., either due to regulation or due to BMW being BMW:

“Unlimited driving up to 60 km/h without contact with the steering wheel when attentiveness is detected with the traffic jam assistant activated. The traffic jam assistant remains active if the driver looks at the road at specific intervals. The driver does not receive any request to touch the steering wheel.”
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but
Maybe?
Traffic Jam Assist:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ems/1VnXMZcV6k

Read somewhere polarized sunglasses may create optical camera issue.

Related:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656013

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 06-10-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, but this feature - seemingly written in European-style metrics - doesn’t seem to work in the U.S., either due to regulation or due to BMW being BMW:

“Unlimited driving up to 60 km/h without contact with the steering wheel when attentiveness is detected with the traffic jam assistant activated. The traffic jam assistant remains active if the driver looks at the road at specific intervals. The driver does not receive any request to touch the steering wheel.”
Yes, I tried that this morning, kept it under 60 km/h and it does not work. Still had to have pressure on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I'm not sure this is what everyone is commenting about, but as an example our '17 Q7 has true semi autonomous driving for about +/- 20 secs where you do not need your hands on the wheel for that period and it even takes corners brilliantly even at highway speeds...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 06-10-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I tried that this morning, kept it under 60 km/h and it does not work. Still had to have pressure on the steering wheel.
Did you see the X5 thread link? Some of those guys seem very knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
CaliforniaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you see the X5 thread link? Some of those guys seem very knowledgeable.
Agreed - they describe the process correctly and it works the same in my 2019... If you reach the right conditions (<40mph, divided highway, etc) then a pop ups appears on the dash saying the Assisted Driving Plus is available. At that point you need to select that mode (by pressing Mode) - only then will you be in the"true" Assisted Driving Plus mode. This will disengage automatically if you go above 40mph... I have gone almost my whole 15 miles commute like that without touching the wheel...
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6328.50
      06-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDrew View Post
Agreed - they describe the process correctly and it works the same in my 2019... If you reach the right conditions (<40mph, divided highway, etc) then a pop ups appears on the dash saying the Assisted Driving Plus is available. At that point you need to select that mode (by pressing Mode) - only then will you be in the"true" Assisted Driving Plus mode. This will disengage automatically if you go above 40mph... I have gone almost my whole 15 miles commute like that without touching the wheel...
Absolutely interesting. I've never had the prompt but have rather engaged the full Assisted Driving Plus on demand when desired. The 2020s will show you what the "car sees" in the digital cockpit but as far as I can tell I need pressure on the wheel (knees will do) and visually paying attention (the camera). Then again on a divided highway here in Phoenix unless I'm in rush hour stop and go there is no way to get the under 40MPH prompt.

My commute when I had one (full WFH thanks to COVID-19) was primarily surface streets minus a short stint (~3 miles) on a divided highway. However, for the latter I tried to position myself in the turn lane to the on-ramp to frankly go into DILYSI mode and that continued on the highway until I exited. No assisted driving needed for that as it was balls to the wall, peddle to the metal or whatever colloquialism one chooses. It's why I bought the M850i in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I do believe there are requirements in play within the US that require "hands on the wheel" and "drivers attention". Not sure if that is covered under any specific legislation or an automotive industry "agreement" at this point but the lack of the latter has gotten Tesla into hot water given their auto pilot originally did not have it. Hence, all the videos of people asleep behind the wheel yet pressure on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
On point:
https://www.cars.com/articles/our-ha...g-mode-407421/
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll give it a go on my 2020 M850i that has more bells and whistles than the reported 2019 versions including a display in the digital cockpit showing what the car "sees" while in full assistant driving mode. However, 40MPH or under is frankly useless to me. Rather I've engaged full assistant driving on freeway runs at 80 MPH plus. One example was a late night drive on about a 100 mile freeway stretch. It was a bit nerve racking delegating the steering on some of the winding mountain road portion at 85 MPH but the M850i handled it gracefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I also have to touch the steering wheel every 20ish seconds on my 2020. It's not any different than my 2018 M550i was in that respect. However, the 2020 M850i works much better at higher speeds and in turns. I just wish it did a better job at recognizing that I'm paying attention and wouldn't require the touch as often.

FWIW - I see the reference here to pressure on the wheel but unless I'm mistaken, the 8-Series steering wheel uses capacitive touch just like other BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I also have to touch the steering wheel every 20ish seconds on my 2020. It's not any different than my 2018 M550i was in that respect. However, the 2020 M850i works much better at higher speeds and in turns. I just wish it did a better job at recognizing that I'm paying attention and wouldn't require the touch as often.

FWIW - I see the reference here to pressure on the wheel but unless I'm mistaken, the 8-Series steering wheel uses capacitive touch just like other BMW's.
I honestly do not understand how the Drivers Attention camera comes into play outside of the discussed 40MPH or less on a divided highway. I know mine is active at all times as between it and the Gesture Controls (both are LIDAR based) I've had to disable the rear Laser sensor on my V1 Gen2 as otherwise it will light up constantly like a Christmas tree.

As for pressure on the wheel, although I generally keep at least my left hand on at all times under full Driving Assistance mode (still don't trust the car) you can just put pressure from a knee and it will do the trick. I'm heading out to San Diego tomorrow for a 6 day getaway with the wife and on the boring stretches of the highway I'll be in full Driving Assistance mode so can report back on if I can keep it engaged without at least a knee on the wheel.

I doubt it based on experience to date, i.e., no pressure on the wheel and the little icon pops up with animation of placing your hands on the wheel. However, I've never let it go beyond yellow without complying so tomorrow I'll let it run at least one course (assuming red) and the disengagement of full Driving Assistance mode. Perhaps this is where the Driver's Attention camera comes into play and will over ride it. Update coming after some thorough testing on a 6 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

Mine used to go yellow and red all the time until I got remote coding to remove all restrictions.
Now it's flawless.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Mine used to go yellow and red all the time until I got remote coding to remove all restrictions.
Now it's flawless.
Sounds like a region specific coding factor similar to anti dazzle for the LED headlights.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Now it's flawless.
Now I'm intrigued. Do you know what was coded? I'll fire-up eSys this afternoon as soon as I get my car back from getting tinted.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Now it's flawless.
Now I'm intrigued. Do you know what was coded? I'll fire-up eSys this afternoon as soon as I get my car back from getting tinted.
it was done by r33_RGSport and you'd have to ask him.

If i ever update my software, I'll call him again to recode it. I'd prefer to have a few more options and a "lifetime subscription" but he was worth it.
Appreciate 2