Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

If this is possible:

- Enable Traffic Jam Assist on All Roads
- Enable Traffic Jam Assist at higher speed

Take my money!
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:28 PM   #3
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
If this is possible:

Take my money!
Hahaha....yeah mine too, Lol.
      06-06-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
If this is possible:

Take my money!
At first I thought I wanted that coded too. But after driving the X7 for a few months, now I am not so sure....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
At first I thought I wanted that coded too. But after driving the X7 for a few months, now I am not so sure....

Oh I'm sure. I don't sit in traffic too much and now with the Covid traffic is so light I don't get any at all. Only got to use the self drive 4 times since I've owned the car. Loved the heck out of it when I was able to use it.

Is it even possible to turn it on at all times?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh I'm sure. I don't sit in traffic too much and now with the Covid traffic is so light I don't get any at all. Only got to use the self drive 4 times since I've owned the car. Loved the heck out of it when I was able to use it.

Yes, you can use the semi-autonomous driving features on all roads - from highways to back roads. As long as the road is paved and marked, you can use the system. I have been using it a lot since I got my X7 at the end of March, even though I am not driving nearly as much as I would be due to the COVID. I have even found ways to barely touch the steering wheel when using it - I can prop the steering wheel with my knee in a comfortable position while driving and it will keep the system happy.

The reason I don't think I am ready for the system to go full hands free all of the time (as opposed to only when using Traffic Jam Assist sitting in stop and go traffic) is how the system can get "lost". I have been using it a lot on the same roads and have become very familiar with where it performs well and not so well. While performance is heavily dependent on how well the road is marked, there have been times on well marked roads with surrounding traffic it has not performed as well as I would have liked.

The system performs the best when it is "tracking" a car in front of it, especially on poorly marked roads. However, on more than one occasion when traveling on the highway on a well marked road, when the system was tracking the car in front of me, when that car changed lanes, the X7 tried to follow it, even though it should have been able to also "see" the well marked lane in front of me and stay in my lane. One time a car in font of me tried to do an aggressive "NYC taxi squeeze" maneuver, the X7 tried to follow (even though it did not need to) and almost sent me into the car next to me - even though the X7 knew it was there (I could see it in the Advanced Driving View). I had to immediately take control to prevent a potential accident. This also happened when driving on a city street a few times. The system was tracking the car in front of me, but when the car in front of me turned into a center turning lane to make a left turn, the X7 tried to follow the car, even though the main lane in front of me was clear and clearly marked. One other thing that is a bit of an annoyance to me (but I could see be bothersome to others) is how closely the X7 will come to cars in a neighboring lane. Every time I pass a car on the left (or right), the X7 will hug that side of the lane. Almost every car will abruptly move away, to give me more room to pass, even though I am still in my lane and the other car in their lane. It took me a while to "trust" the X7 in these passing situations. But I know the X7 sees the car it is passing based on the Advanced Driving View display. But it would be nice if the X7 gave the car being passed a bit more room while passing on the highway at speed.

Don't let my description above of the system performance imply that I am not happy with the system. On the contrary, overall I am very happy with it - autonomous driving is hard and the tech is still maturing. I am glad I got the option, I have become very comfortable and proficient with how it works, and I know what to expect in almost all driving conditions. I am also comfortable using the system on all types of roads in all types of traffic - including using the system in traffic at highways speeds up to and exceeding the speed limit. But based on my experiences, I am not sure I am ready to completely code off the "hands on steering wheel" requirement just yet. If anything, I might be interested in lengthening the amount of time between the yellow and red warnings.

One of the reasons I use the system all of the time is the hope that with all of the data the system is sending to BMW (along with other drivers using the system) it will help BMW further develop the autonomy to help it perform better, and faster with future updates. The next big semi-autonomous update on the horizon is traffic light recognition. I am really looking forward to that upgrade as that will make semi-autonomous city driving better.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
Abdul79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

isn't there any on with good Knowledge of X7 coding???
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
If this is possible:

Take my money!
The hardware, i.e. Mobileye EyeQ4 processor is not ready for traffic jam assist at higher speeds. EyeQ5 that could be in the midcycle update of the X7 starting with Aug 22 production might have increased capability.

The processor Tesla uses of their own design has much more processing power than Eye Q4, but Eye q4 has very low power consumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul79 View Post
Apparently not? Might want to check on the G05 forums, I'd imagine there are more talks there.

Just wanted to add some feedback with my personal coding experiences, and why I'm not that guy who could possibly help with the G07 (in short, it wasn't worth it for me):

I really got into it with my F80 then subsequently my F15 once I discovered what you could achieve (video in motion, remove disclaimers, change behavior of blinkers, etc., etc.. [and specific to the //M, enabling things like GTS transmission and euro MDM traction mappings]), so I basically looked at it as a must have. I was using e-Sys and dug deep into every configuration until I understood it all and got it just as I wanted. Then, about 9 months later, my car was in for a suspension sensor issue and while troubleshooting they set everything back to default. No, BMW didn't give me a hassle about what I did, and I noticed it almost immediately as I had to acknowledge the iDrive disclaimer again mixed with some gongs that were back or something to that effect... I briefly thought about digging back into my notes and pulling out the laptop, but I was busy at the time, now about 1 year later, the only thing I am annoyed I didn't turn back on with the F80 was the mirrors closing on lock, and the horn beeping if I lock the car with the engine running, and even at that, it is a marginal annoyance and not worth my time. Those two items aren't a concern on the X7, so I didn't even think about trying to get up to speed there. Basically... it was a novelty when I discovered it, but the benefits were not worth the time I put into it, not the time I'd have to spend coordinating with someone else to do it if I didn't feel like diving deep again.
      06-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Feel free to browse the X5 iDrive, Audio, Phone, Electronics, Software and Coding subform:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=746

Specifically:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637597

And
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1697403

Also Bimmercode has a couple of quick start guides.

The main forum keeps track of app updates:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1547909

Last edited by Auricom; 06-09-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
Heimdall136.50
      07-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Can anyone explain the following two options in Bimmercode for "Lighting"?

"Automatic light control": What does this mean? What's meant by "when the switch is set to "0"?

"Fog lights with parking lights": Does this basically mean that when the headlights come on the Fog lights will also turn on? If so, will it remember the last position, on or off, of the fog light switch? So, if the fog light switch was in the "On" position when you turned off the vehicle it would remain in the "On" position when you next started the vehicle?

Most of the vehicles I own or have owned that have stock fog lights allow the driver to have the fog lights come on when the headlights come on. It's not configurable in the X7 unless you code it with something.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:27 AM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, you can use the semi-autonomous driving features on all roads - from highways to back roads. As long as the road is paved and marked, you can use the system. I have been using it a lot since I got my X7 at the end of March, even though I am not driving nearly as much as I would be due to the COVID. I have even found ways to barely touch the steering wheel when using it - I can prop the steering wheel with my knee in a comfortable position while driving and it will keep the system happy.

The reason I don't think I am ready for the system to go full hands free all of the time (as opposed to only when using Traffic Jam Assist sitting in stop and go traffic) is how the system can get "lost". I have been using it a lot on the same roads and have become very familiar with where it performs well and not so well. While performance is heavily dependent on how well the road is marked, there have been times on well marked roads with surrounding traffic it has not performed as well as I would have liked.

The system performs the best when it is "tracking" a car in front of it, especially on poorly marked roads. However, on more than one occasion when traveling on the highway on a well marked road, when the system was tracking the car in front of me, when that car changed lanes, the X7 tried to follow it, even though it should have been able to also "see" the well marked lane in front of me and stay in my lane. One time a car in font of me tried to do an aggressive "NYC taxi squeeze" maneuver, the X7 tried to follow (even though it did not need to) and almost sent me into the car next to me - even though the X7 knew it was there (I could see it in the Advanced Driving View). I had to immediately take control to prevent a potential accident. This also happened when driving on a city street a few times. The system was tracking the car in front of me, but when the car in front of me turned into a center turning lane to make a left turn, the X7 tried to follow the car, even though the main lane in front of me was clear and clearly marked. One other thing that is a bit of an annoyance to me (but I could see be bothersome to others) is how closely the X7 will come to cars in a neighboring lane. Every time I pass a car on the left (or right), the X7 will hug that side of the lane. Almost every car will abruptly move away, to give me more room to pass, even though I am still in my lane and the other car in their lane. It took me a while to "trust" the X7 in these passing situations. But I know the X7 sees the car it is passing based on the Advanced Driving View display. But it would be nice if the X7 gave the car being passed a bit more room while passing on the highway at speed.

Don't let my description above of the system performance imply that I am not happy with the system. On the contrary, overall I am very happy with it - autonomous driving is hard and the tech is still maturing. I am glad I got the option, I have become very comfortable and proficient with how it works, and I know what to expect in almost all driving conditions. I am also comfortable using the system on all types of roads in all types of traffic - including using the system in traffic at highways speeds up to and exceeding the speed limit. But based on my experiences, I am not sure I am ready to completely code off the "hands on steering wheel" requirement just yet. If anything, I might be interested in lengthening the amount of time between the yellow and red warnings.

One of the reasons I use the system all of the time is the hope that with all of the data the system is sending to BMW (along with other drivers using the system) it will help BMW further develop the autonomy to help it perform better, and faster with future updates. The next big semi-autonomous update on the horizon is traffic light recognition. I am really looking forward to that upgrade as that will make semi-autonomous city driving better.
My G05 does t behave like that on highways in the U.K.

It 'never' tracks another vehicle on a highway. Just sticks in the lane unless someone tries to side swipe you then moves as far away as it can. Otherwise it can drive without issue indefinitely. With I-step 03/2020 it works 99% of the time even in rain and bright sunshine.

It does follow other vehicles on single lane carriageways and I wouldn't trust it then.

Afaia it's not possible to code TJA on all roads/ speeds.

The issue I have is it's 'too' reliable. As it works so well nearly all the time, you become a passenger and lose focus. At least with the nag to touch the wheel you're constantly re-engaging. After a few minutes of not having to touch the wheel and no danger, the brain switches off to hazards. That's the risk
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
My G05 does t behave like that on highways in the U.K.

It 'never' tracks another vehicle on a highway. Just sticks in the lane unless someone tries to side swipe you then moves as far away as it can. Otherwise it can drive without issue indefinitely. With I-step 03/2020 it works 99% of the time even in rain and bright sunshine.

It does follow other vehicles on single lane carriageways and I wouldn't trust it then.

Afaia it's not possible to code TJA on all roads/ speeds.

The issue I have is it's 'too' reliable. As it works so well nearly all the time, you become a passenger and lose focus. At least with the nag to touch the wheel you're constantly re-engaging. After a few minutes of not having to touch the wheel and no danger, the brain switches off to hazards. That's the risk
Well, YMMV but that is not my basic understanding of how the system works. In order for the car to "drive", regardless of mode (i.e. on highway or in bumper to bumper traffic) it uses all available data to help safely navigate semi-autonomously, to include staying in the lane you are driving in. That data includes the lane markers on the road and tracking the vehicle in front of you, if available.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, YMMV but that is not my basic understanding of how the system works. In order for the car to "drive", regardless of mode (i.e. on highway or in bumper to bumper traffic) it uses all available data to help safely navigate semi-autonomously, to include staying in the lane you are driving in. That data includes the lane markers on the road and tracking the vehicle in front of you, if available.
Agree on the use of data. It will use a vehicle in front to help assess the driving conditions, whether on the highway or otherwise. It does this to anticipate braking, emergency braking including anticipating behaviour of vehicles further than directly ahead using fore sight, and builds up the picture as displayed in ADV.

However, it absolutely does not follow another vehicle changing lane on highways. If yours is doing that then there is something amiss. There's a logic process in-play and lane markings take priority on the highway. Same principle applies on our dual-carriageways (non-highways). It's only single-lane carriageways where it tracks a vehicle and will cross the lane markings.

In a highway scenario where it loses lane markings and is tracking a vehicle, mine will disengage, so never follows the vehicle.

I've done thousands of miles, some entirely hands-free, and it hasn't missed a beat on the last 2 main branch i-step. Can't say the same when I first got it. It didn't deal with bends well, and would sometimes try and drive off the road when it spotted concealed exits. Terrifying!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Agree on the use of data. It will use a vehicle in front to help assess the driving conditions, whether on the highway or otherwise. It does this to anticipate braking, emergency braking including anticipating behaviour of vehicles further than directly ahead using fore sight, and builds up the picture as displayed in ADV.

However, it absolutely does not follow another vehicle changing lane on highways. If yours is doing that then there is something amiss. There's a logic process in-play and lane markings take priority on the highway. Same principle applies on our dual-carriageways (non-highways). It's only single-lane carriageways where it tracks a vehicle and will cross the lane markings.

In a highway scenario where it loses lane markings and is tracking a vehicle, mine will disengage, so never follows the vehicle.

I've done thousands of miles, some entirely hands-free, and it hasn't missed a beat on the last 2 main branch i-step. Can't say the same when I first got it. It didn't deal with bends well, and would sometimes try and drive off the road when it spotted concealed exits. Terrifying!
Well, as I said, YMMV - and I never said the system was supposed to follow the car in front of it for changing lanes. A lane change can only occur when above a certain speed and only if the driver initiates the lane change command with the turn signal stalk. In my post, I said it uses the tracking data of the car in front of it to help the car navigate semi-autonomously. My experience with the system has been overall positive, but there have been times when the system got "lost" or "confused", including two scenarios where it followed the car in front of me that it was tracking - one bad and one good. One time when I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic with Traffic Jam Assist enabled, it was working fine, including tracking the car in front of me to maintain proper distance and braking. But on this one occasion, the car in front of me being tracked decided to make an abrupt lane change, and my X7 tried to follow it. Had I not intervened, I could have hit the car in the lane next to me. When in TJA mode, the car can't see the road markings most, if not all of the time due to traffic density on the road so it makes sense that it would using tracking data from the car in front of it so that it can also steer when TJA is enabled in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

In another situation, there is an intersection that I routinely go through where the system always gets lost and I have to take steering control until I cross the intersection, possibly due to poor lane markings (although they look pretty good to me - but anyway). However, if I am behind a car and it is tracking that car at a reasonably close distance, the X7 will not get lost going through this intersection as it appears to use the tracking of the car in front of me to account for the fact that it did not have enough info to safely navigate this intersection with just the road markings alone.

The above two examples (and other similar examples) leads me to believe that the system uses vehicle tracking data of the car in front of you for more than just distance control and braking. I will speculate that how much weight the car uses in the driving algorithm with different types of data will change under different perceived driving conditions. In the first example above, the system clearly made an error, but in the second example, it appeared the system did what it was supposed to do. I will caveat the above by saying that I am far from an expert in autonomous driving software engineering, but I think my observations above are pretty straightforward based on my understanding of how autonomous systems use data to "think" and "understand" the dynamic environment in which they are designed to operate.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, as I said, YMMV
Interesting discussion. Your experiences broadly align with mine, the exception being that I've not had it lane change without permission on a highway, at any speed.

The mileage will vary. There are so many possible combinations of reasons why a specific car will drive differently to another of the same model and options. What I've discovered:

- Region. This is the biggest impact. BMW use a combination of Vehicle Order, and Geolocation to lock specific capabilities. This is usually for regulatory reasons. There are the obvious ones like eTJA and aSLA which are locked to specific regions, but more subtle features like automatic camera selection when reversing. An EU G05/G07 can behave very differently when driven from one country to another. Other features like traffic light/stop sign recognition are locked to specific allowed regions only.

- istep. The system is constantly evolving as BMW tweak the autonomous driving capabilities. Later i-step has introduced improved auto lane change, general better lane handling and curve management. My car will now resume from stop/start when a car 2 places in-front of mine sets off, even when it cannot see that car. Assumption being it uses radar and not KAFAS.

The Steering Wheel Assistant mode used prior to i-step 07/2019 was US version for nearly all countries. As of i-step 07/2019 and MY 2020, the version for EU countries changed to Category C. No idea why, must be regulatory, but it negatively impacts the auto lane change performance. It seems to be doing an extra safety check. It's annoying so I make sure I use the US mode.

I've noticed that the system will warn earlier before disengaging now improving the safety aspect. Sometimes it warns to take the wheel/prepare, but then recovers as the situation it was predicting didn't happen. Mine didn't do that at delivery! It was take over now or crash

I have mine coded to the optimal autonomous driving capability available. IMO it is at least as advanced as a Tesla when all the available features are unlocked. I've driven over 50 miles in relatively light motorway traffic and only needed to touch the indicator stalk to change lanes. No other pedal or steering wheel intervention, although my hand hovers near the wheel when passing traffic, just in case.

On non-motorway roads I've had mixed results. This morning the car drove 3 miles without human interaction during rush hour traffic on a single carriageway. Following another vehicle, moving between parked cars, avoiding skips and bollards, oncoming and parked cars. It warned to retake control a couple of times, but then recovered. It couldn't do that on this specific road with i-step 07/2019, so they have tweaked something. I've noticed that it follows certain types and colour of vehicle better than others.

Rain and sun/shadows can have an impact too, though I've noticed big improvements in reliability during heavy rain with i-step 03/2020.

My wish list for L2 autonomy on the G05 is:
- auto, auto lane change when approaching slower moving traffic
- automatic motorway exit via auto lane change
- full traffic light assistance

Then it will be the ultimate semi-autonomous driving machine. I'm definitely getting old
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:14 AM   #17
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Anyone having issues with the fob trunk button coding to lock via BimmerCode?
I'm getting Error coding ECU for this, but coded everything else just fine.
      07-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #18
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
What software version is your car on? Also, have you updated your Bimmercode App to the latest version?

I'm on 3/2020/31 and I just now coded the trunk closing/opening via the key fob with no problem at all. Here's the two options I used to code the key fob. I'm using Android and wireless Ethernet ODB Adapter to code with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #19
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
What software version is your car on? Also, have you updated your Bimmercode App to the latest version?

I'm on 3/2020/31 and I just now coded the trunk closing/opening via the key fob with no problem at all. Here's the two options I used to code the key fob. I'm using Android and wireless Ethernet ODB Adapter to code with.
I'm on 11.2019.70
BimmerCode is up to date.
Attached Images

07-16-2020, 03:31 AM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm on 11.2019.70
BimmerCode is up to date.
What OBD adapter are you using? You can also try the suggestion from the BimmerCode FAQs page.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:46 AM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
I need help getting the following coded

- X7 m50i logo showing in Alpina cluster
- Assisted driving view on cluster
- Enable Anti-Dazzle
- Turn Off Amber Sidemarker on Headlights
- Phone Ringtone instead of standard BMW
yes, all this is possible and I had it coded on mine. but bimmercode won't do it, you need a code like r33_RGSport
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      07-16-2020, 05:00 AM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
If this is possible:

Take my money!
message r33_RGSport he did mine and it works great so far.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00