2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Transfer Case Failure with low milage

05-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
ashmailusa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535 Xi

Transfer Case Failure with low milage

Hello everyone,
Decided to open a new thread to sum up my story with all the noises
535 Xi ~70k miles. Transfer box was replaced just a year ago under warranty
Initially had an issue with ticking/clicking noise on turn somewhere around right front wheel. Happens when I turn the steering wheel to the right 270 degrees. Around 2 clicks per wheel rotation cycle.
Also, Once the car gets under 30mph during coasting I can hear a slight whining noise. No noise during acceleration but the wine gets noticeable around 30's, then gets a little quieter as the car slows down.
It sounds almost like "normal" transmission/gear noise. Similar to what kids electric cars make on deceleration.

I had to test drive with BMW tech to replicate ticking noise. The whine is almost impossible to hear so I gave up on that. Besides, I can hear similar "gear" noise with brand new G30 loaner

But! Got an update from dealership today that they need to replace transfer box again! Isn't that odd it didn't last even one year ~5k miles? What do you guys think about that?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
T-Bone18
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Garage List
Hi, is your whining noise sound like mine ? Check out the sound in my video at 8 sec and 20sec when I decelerate.

Appreciate 0