BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
49er
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5m

X3M non comp mod question

Love the look of the seats in Competition model however seat is uncomfortable to me, because of bad hip. Non comp standard seat works.

Question , what aftermarket mods would need to be done to bring it as close as possible to Competition model.

Input would be most appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49er View Post
Love the look of the seats in Competition model however seat is uncomfortable to me, because of bad hip. Non comp standard seat works.

Question , what aftermarket mods would need to be done to bring it as close as possible to Competition model.

49er, mostly the black exterior trim pieces that are relatively inexpensive. It really depends how far you want to go. There are many, many 21 inch wheel options available, ranging from 2k to 10k per set.
There are also several aftermarket exhaust options available, most notably from Eisenmann, Akrapovic, and Remus. Lastly, you can install a piggyback (RaceChip, JB4) or a flash tune (BM3, MHD) to add power.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:

Don’t spend money to turn it into a Competition model.
Spend it to make it better. People are buying competitions and modifying them to make them Faster, louder and more unique. Get a custom exhaust, down pipes, tune, your can change the chrome pieces to black if you like that look better. Depending on what wheels you have you can change them.
This will make it look and sound better and faster than a stick competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

The comp exclusive changes are:

Black grills
Sway bars
Tune
Comp Muffler.

If you buy a base X3m you can option to have the sport seats or not, you can choose the 20s or 21s. You can even have the dealer install the black grills or even the M performance Exhaust if you want more sound.

The trickier items will be getting the Competition Sway bars or the Competition tune. But an aftermarket tune can be done at risk of the OEM warranty.

If your ok with aftermarket.

then get an aftermarket tune, it will make way more power than the Comp tune would have. And have your pick of either the M performance muffler or an aftermarket exhaust will likely be more aggresive than the M performance (comp) muffler would have been anyway. Its a win win.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
49er
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5m

Thanks for the input much appreciated. Which exhaust would be best, that does not have cabin drone ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the input much appreciated. Which exhaust would be best, that does not have cabin drone ?
I would reccomend a high flow catted downpipe. Just one part. The rest of the exhaust is pretty damn good. It increases the volume but is not obnoxious and still let's the factory servo reduce exhaust noise when you want to dial it down. I chose SuperSprint and am happy with my solution. There are others in the market too as well as custom shops that will be happy to oblige. If you're worried about drone or excessive noise, I wouldn't change anything more than the primary cat, which incidentally yields the greatest power gains of any single piece substituted.

Buona fortuna!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
bernpromos
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I would reccomend a high flow catted downpipe. Just one part. The rest of the exhaust is pretty damn good. It increases the volume but is not obnoxious and still let's the factory servo reduce exhaust noise when you want to dial it down. I chose SuperSprint and am happy with my solution. There are others in the market too as well as custom shops that will be happy to oblige. If you're worried about drone or excessive noise, I wouldn't change anything more than the primary cat, which incidentally yields the greatest power gains of any single piece substituted.

Buona fortuna!
If you had to pick one high flow down pipe, which would it be?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I am, of course, biased with the one I chose-especially for the discounted price I received allowing the factory to measure my US spec secondary cat which SuperSprint could not readily verify otherwise. They are much more expensive here in the US when ordered through an authorized distributor. I love my sound and gains with this unit, not to mention the German HKS cans are top notch. Still, there are those who have criticized my welds as being less than perfect and therfore doubt their durability in time. I'm not a welder but trust the owner, Alessandro, would honor their warranty should something fail prematurely. If you are looking for gorgeous welds at I don't know what price (seriously, I don't), AlexFL has the most beautiful high flow downpipes I've seen here. I don't know how they perform nor how they sound, but I would imagine they are sublime.

Last edited by MrItaly; 05-24-2020 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0