BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Magnetic front license plate

I want to install magnets behind the black trim on front of the bumper.
I had this done on my Audi S4 a while back which had a removable cover there. I installed strong magnets behind it. And used jb weld to glue magnets to the back of my plate and I just attached them when needed.

I want to do the same to my X4MC but dont know how to remove that trim/grill piece. Anyone know how to remove it? If it’s hard to remove I’ll just go with sto n show which I had on my Range Rover and worked great. But I’d prefer the magnet method.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebap3; 05-18-2020 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebap3 View Post
I want to install magnets behind the black trim on front of the bumper.
I had this done on my Audi S4 a while back which had a removable cover there. I installed strong magnets behind it. And used jb weld to glue magnets to the back of my plate and I just attached them when needed.

I want to do the same to my X4MC but dont know how to remove that trim/grill piece. Anyone know how to remove it? If it’s hard to remove I’ll just go with sto n show which I had on my Range Rover and worked great. But I’d prefer the magnet method.
I don't know if this will help at all, but here it goes... I had my European plate stuck to that piece via several pieces of 3M industrial double sided tape. When I had to remove the plate to ship back to the States, I pulled kinda hard that that a a side of that piece came out. I was able to snap it back in place and no issues with it since. So, somehow, it just pops out.
Appreciate 1
Sebap3131.00
      05-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
I don't know if this will help at all, but here it goes... I had my European plate stuck to that piece via several pieces of 3M industrial double sided tape. When I had to remove the plate to ship back to the States, I pulled kinda hard that that a a side of that piece came out. I was able to snap it back in place and no issues with it since. So, somehow, it just pops out.
Thanks that does help a little. I figured it was clipped in just wasn’t sure how to remove it without breaking anything. I thought maybe someone on here would know know how to remove it.
I’ll just mess with it and hopefully not break anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebap3 View Post
Thanks that does help a little. I figured it was clipped in just wasn’t sure how to remove it without breaking anything. I thought maybe someone on here would know know how to remove it.
I’ll just mess with it and hopefully not break anything.
Here's the repair document from the newtis site (number 7 "– Remove the cover from the front bumper panel" I think applies to what you're asking):

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1Vne6Ma0xj
Appreciate 1
Sebap3131.00
      05-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Here's the repair document from the newtis site (number 7 "– Remove the cover from the front bumper panel" I think applies to what you're asking):

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1Vne6Ma0xj
This is great info. Just what I needed. Thanks
I will take some pics of the process as soon as I get my permanent plates.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4770.50