F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 435d - 66 plate, 25k miles - anything I should be aware of?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
charliehotel47
Rep
Drives: X3

435d - 66 plate, 25k miles - anything I should be aware of?

Morning all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 66 plate 435d with 25k on the clock - it's exactly what i'm after spec wise and has the added advantage of being a few months short of the 'you have an expensive car tax'.

Is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for on the car? What tends to go wrong at this point in a 4 series life? I will be doing around 15000 miles a year in the girl, what goes wrong at 40k/55k/70k/85k?

Already looking for an aftermarket m4 style rear diffuser and black kidney grill to fit...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehotel47 View Post
Morning all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 66 plate 435d with 25k on the clock - it's exactly what i'm after spec wise and has the added advantage of being a few months short of the 'you have an expensive car tax'.

Is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for on the car? What tends to go wrong at this point in a 4 series life? I will be doing around 15000 miles a year in the girl, what goes wrong at 40k/55k/70k/85k?

Already looking for an aftermarket m4 style rear diffuser and black kidney grill to fit...
I am in London as well and as far as I can tell it is not morning.

Amazing car very good all rounder. Fast, efficient and fun. Not an M car or a 40i, but for people like us with high mileage it is the best alternative. Mine is a 65 plate with 74k miles and it hasn't skipped a beat. The N57 is a know engine for BMW and most things are sorted.

The only issue that people are seeing is the transfer case, but I am not convinced this really affects the 35d.

In terms of maintenance other than the normal fluids, filters and pads you should do a gearbox and transfer case fluid change between 50-100k (still haven't done mine). Also, monitor the coolant. All these BMW says are lifetime fluids, but I don't believe there is such thing.

Keep the oil changes at 8-10k (I do them a bit earlier, but mine is remapped and I don't baby it) miles and the car will be fine.

The only thing that would worry me is the low mileage. It is a 3.5 year old car with 25k miles. That is around 7k miles a year, which is quite low for a diesel. So be careful with the DPF, they tend to like a long drive here and there to do a cleaning routine. You can use Carly or Bimmerlink to check the condition and force a regeneration. I have it so give me a shout if we are near each other. Also, check it had its services done on time and that the tires are in good nick and not the original (I don't like keeping tires for more than 3 years and at 25k miles they should be near their end of life).

Are you buying private or from a garage?

Make sure it has IDrive 5 so you can activate CarPlay (I am regretting not having it a lot) and the adaptive suspension (if you are not planning for an upgrade later on), because the xdrive even on msport versions has the se suspension, which tends to be a bit soft, but personally I don't mind it.

If you find a decently priced rear diffuser I would be up for a group buy, I am always tempted to get one, but I am not sure if I like it enough with the one sided exhaust.

Good luck with your buy and welcome to the 35d club!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

As above, my only concern would be the low mileage for the age of the car - 35 to 40k at that age would be more along what those sort of cars are made for, although does sound like you'll be doing the mileage now to clear out the DPF and give it the longer runs that these cars need.

Keep the oil change regular at 10k, generally don't like the 19k/2 years recommended and you'll be fine.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and when you get bored, a lot have remapped these to get some fantastic performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post

Amazing car very good all rounder. Fast, efficient and fun. Not an M car or a 40i, but for people like us with high mileage it is the best alternative. Mine is a 65 plate with 74k miles and it hasn't skipped a beat. The N57 is a know engine for BMW and most things are sorted.

The only issue that people are seeing is the transfer case, but I am not convinced this really affects the 35d.

In terms of maintenance other than the normal fluids, filters and pads you should do a gearbox and transfer case fluid change between 50-100k (still haven't done mine). Also, monitor the coolant. All these BMW says are lifetime fluids, but I don't believe there is such thing.

Keep the oil changes at 8-10k (I do them a bit earlier, but mine is remapped and I don't baby it) miles and the car will be fine.

The only thing that would worry me is the low mileage. It is a 3.5 year old car with 25k miles. That is around 7k miles a year, which is quite low for a diesel. So be careful with the DPF, they tend to like a long drive here and there to do a cleaning routine. You can use Carly or Bimmerlink to check the condition and force a regeneration. I have it so give me a shout if we are near each other. Also, check it had its services done on time and that the tires are in good nick and not the original (I don't like keeping tires for more than 3 years and at 25k miles they should be near their end of life).

Make sure it has IDrive 5 so you can activate CarPlay (I am regretting not having it a lot) and the adaptive suspension (if you are not planning for an upgrade later on), because the xdrive even on msport versions has the se suspension, which tends to be a bit soft, but personally I don't mind it.

If you find a decently priced rear diffuser I would be up for a group buy, I am always tempted to get one, but I am not sure if I like it enough with the one sided exhaust.

Great advice imo
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Wouldn't worry about the mileage, mine's a 16 and that's only done 26k, and you should have a bit of a BMW history to go by.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #6
charliehotel47
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post

Thank you for the advice and the offer of help!

It is used approved so will come with a years warranty on everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:01 AM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

EGR is the biggest problem on these, make sure it’s either had the recall done or isn’t subject to it....
Appreciate 1
Junebug851631.00
      05-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #8
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
EGR is the biggest problem on these, make sure it’s either had the recall done or isn’t subject to it....
I think the EGR problems or at least the recall is put to early 2015, or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Wouldn't worry about the mileage, mine's a 16 and that's only done 26k, and you should have a bit of a BMW history to go by.
Agree it’s only 3.5 years old so I wouldn’t worry about the DPF, they don’t generally fail really early on these cars, so as long as you are regularly doing some longish runs it will clear it out nicely. If it was 8 or 9 years old and had only done 7k miles every year it would be a slight concern then.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
This^ ... you want to check it’s all been sorted out already by BMW and that there are no current recalls on it that need doing.
Appreciate 0