BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 bike carrier recommendations

05-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

X7 bike carrier recommendations

Looking for a bike carrier to hold 4 bikes. We have a 2020 X7 M Sport and it does not have a trailer hitch. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

https://www.yakima.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
scobre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 & BMW X1

Bmw x7 hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Looking for a bike carrier to hold 4 bikes. We have a 2020 X7 M Sport and it does not have a trailer hitch. Any recommendations?
I have really researched this. BMW wants $3000 to buy their new hitch meanwhile from what I have found the only after-market hitch is the STEALTH which costs about $600-1000 plus installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
andyzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have the dealer did this for me when I bought the X7, for $1000.

see this thread:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27574078
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:28 PM   #5
Dexter1110
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

We’re a biking family with 3 kids, so a 4-bike carrier on the hitch plus a single on the roof. We own the Thule T2 (2 bikes) with the extension (extra 2 bikes) rack on the hitch (total 4 bikes on the hitch). This has taken our family across the Eastern continent in confidence for the past 8 years, the past year was with the X7. The rack is STURDY. Will carry 4 mountain bikes or 4 fat bikes, without issues. You want to get a 2” hitch (not 1.25”) to make sure it can carry larger bike racks like the T2 with extension. Make sure you check weight limits of the rack and estimate 30-35 pounds per adult mountain or fat bike x 4. As a result of its sturdiness, the T2 with 2-bike extension - total 4 bikes - is HEAVY (around 200 pounds). Takes 2 of us to remove it to storage. I don’t leave it on the hitch more than 2-3 days though because the steel will eventually corrode with rain/snow (snow melt) and I want to avoid this. With heavy use like what we put it through, some parts eventually fail. I like being able to order replacement parts from Thule and switch them out (once last year after 7 years use). When we went from mountain bikes to add fat bikes for winter, we were able to order the fat bike kit to adjust without buying a whole new rack (picture). Another advantage is being able to slide each bike support right/left so bikes don’t contact each other. Finally, you can lock each bike.
Regarding the hitch itself, I ordered OEM during build. I like the integration with electronics when I rent a larger trailer to move stuff, and also how the OEM does not show. I don’t miss the foot gesture to open the rear gate. If I wanted remote opening, the key fob could do the job. However, when you have a rack/bike back there, you tend to double-check before opening anything to avoid dinging the rear hatch on the rack/bike. I also activate “trailer mode” to turn off rear sensors, adjust driving dynamics and avoid opening the hatch against a bike. FYI you can open the hatch (upper and lower) with the rack on and no bike on the 1st position closest to the car (but barely, and depending on handlebar length you may need to pull the bike away a bit).
If I had to do it again, I’d again get the OEM hitch and the Thule T2 bike rack. As a retro-fit, I’d also bite the bullet and get the original for full integration if you expect more than casual use. BTW roof rack management is really a challenge except for lighter bikes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dexter1110; 12-09-2021 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
andyzzz10.50
      12-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Get a hitch, period. It's the only way to carry 4 bikes.

If you only needed to carry two and had the bench seat option, you could remove the front wheels of the bikes and load them in the back. Four won't fit that way though.

Plenty of options for bike carriers when you get the hitch on.
Appreciate 0