E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Catted Headers on 328i Questions

05-16-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
JustVinceCruzing
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

AFE Catted Headers on 328i Questions

Hi, i've been thinking really long and hard about this because these headers are gonna walk my wallet to a flowery field and shoot it in the back of the head. I wanna get these for the sound,performance and also I want to be able to still pass emissions since I live in doodoo California. Does anyone have any experience with these? I've seen one thread about them and the video linking to how it sounds was taken down. I'm a really big novice when it comes to car mods/ knowledge but I really wanna learn. I've installed the afe stage 2 CAI, I have a magnaflow muffler that got installed a few weeks ago and I gotta say, I was grinning from ear to ear when I heard the muffler for the first time, what more new headers? My biggest questions would be would there be any glaring issues or problems with installing them? I'm not sure if I trust myself enough to install them myself if anything, so would you guys recommend a shop to install them or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:51 AM   #2
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Watch this video and see if you feel comfortable doing this yourself:

Appreciate 2
      05-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVinceCruzing View Post
Hi, i've been thinking really long and hard about this because these headers are gonna walk my wallet to a flowery field and shoot it in the back of the head. I wanna get these for the sound,performance and also I want to be able to still pass emissions since I live in doodoo California. Does anyone have any experience with these? I've seen one thread about them and the video linking to how it sounds was taken down. I'm a really big novice when it comes to car mods/ knowledge but I really wanna learn. I've installed the afe stage 2 CAI, I have a magnaflow muffler that got installed a few weeks ago and I gotta say, I was grinning from ear to ear when I heard the muffler for the first time, what more new headers? My biggest questions would be would there be any glaring issues or problems with installing them? I'm not sure if I trust myself enough to install them myself if anything, so would you guys recommend a shop to install them or not?
Few users reported cats failing after 20-50k miles. It seems like the cells just failed. aFe replaced them under warranty. Iirc, Someone mentioned that afe since changed something on the cats to prevent failure like that. But who knows?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVinceCruzing View Post
When you do get them, let me know how they are as they are on my list of mods after the MagnaFlow catback in a couple months (trying to refi the house to save $$ but my extra $$ is tied up in refi)