BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Rear Bumper Protector??

Anyone recommend any good rear bumper protector for the X3? the one i have is awesome but the only issue is the strap doesn't hold in place because there is no gap in the rear to wrap the strap around
Attached Images

05-16-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Sorry, I'm confused. What is this, and why would someone opt to employ this?
Appreciate 1
drurka21.00
      05-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii View Post
Anyone recommend any good rear bumper protector for the X3? the one i have is awesome but the only issue is the strap doesn't hold in place because there is no gap in the rear to wrap the strap around
I would fully PPF rear bumper and add a shock-absorbing receiver hitch step. I sort of did that ha though cannot use the hitch step here. Not sure if you can use it in NY either. Check it out at sparebumper.com. Not only will cars in the back keep safe distance, but it will absorb any impact given its proprietary double cushions embedded and protect you from any parking bumps. The PPF would be needed to protect you from side bumper potential scratches that could be caused by drivers getting out of the parking space. Just thought I would share again my find.

I have a pic of my X3 with the hitch and after-market winter tires in the following thread:

Surprise! BMWs are expensive to repair https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612682
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 02:13 AM   #4
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
You would only see this in NYC or other large US metropolitan area haha. NYC drivers are notoriously bad drivers and scratch other cars when parking or pulling out from park. I have driven in most of the western developed countries, and can say that NYC takes the cake when it comes to idiotic aggressiveness and mindless merging/cutting off/beeping etc. No offense, simply stating my experience haha. Granted let us not fall into the over-generalization fallacy, as I have also found good drivers in NYC though tend to be still pretty darn aggressive. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      05-16-2020, 04:00 AM   #5
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
Quote:
You would only see this in NYC or other large US metropolitan area haha. NYC drivers are notoriously bad drivers and scratch other cars when parking or pulling out from park. I have driven in most of the western developed countries, and can say that NYC takes the cake when it comes to idiotic aggressiveness and mindless merging/cutting off/beeping etc. No offense, simply stating my experience haha. Granted let us not fall into the over-generalization fallacy, as I have also found good drivers in NYC though tend to be still pretty darn aggressive. Cheers.
Lol yes they are that's why I'm looking for the protection... also thank you for the site but it's not What I am looking for. I don't intend to tow with this car but this would definitely work when it comes bumper parking. But it won't protect the edge of the car which in nyc a lot of people don't notice. If anything i get closer to the car in front of me since a lot of people tend to have back up cameras here, and i know he won't back up into me unless he's got no room in the front (which usually go and look) lol
      05-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #6
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol yes they are that's why I'm looking for the protection... also thank you for the site but it's not What I am looking for. I don't intend to tow with this car but this would definitely work when it comes bumper parking. But it won't protect the edge of the car which in nyc a lot of people don't notice. If anything i get closer to the car in front of me since a lot of people tend to have back up cameras here, and i know he won't back up into me unless he's got no room in the front (which usually go and look) lol
For sides, I say go with PPF. It will avoid scratches big time and not be as unsightly as your past set up lol. You will get 6mm of protection, which should be more than enough for potential scratches.

Edit: something relatively cheapo and DIY like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

I'm telling you, the rear hitch bumper thingy kept the car behind at bay, even in NYC . Might want to consider it. Nobody is going to tailgate you, I assure you .

Last edited by TheusBimmer; 05-16-2020 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: adding suggested product link
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For sides, I say go with PPF. It will avoid scratches big time and not be as unsightly as your past set up lol. You will get 6mm of protection, which should be more than enough for potential scratches.

Edit: something relatively cheapo and DIY like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

I'm telling you, the rear hitch bumper thingy kept the car behind at bay, even in NYC . Might want to consider it. Nobody is going to tailgate you, I assure you .
Mm interesting never seen something that cheap. I don't know I'll think about it. The Tow thing i highly doubt i would get
      05-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Hey "we" are not notoriously bad. Some are bad, many just careless, majority not enthusiasts.

I'd agree that you have to be an aggressive driver to some degree here.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
That would be 6 mil of protection which is .006". 6mm is close to a quarter of an inch. Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Quote:
That would be 6 mil of protection which is .006". 6mm is close to a quarter of an inch. Big difference.
lol yes actually .6mm. Hope common sense reigns given PPF context haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
It would be nice to have 6mm PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Quote:
It would be nice to have 6mm PPF.
Just keep layering them LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Aside from a one use type of thing when you know there is a high probability of damage, this is funny. You buy one of these for protection from the bumper looking bad. Yet it looks far worse than a scraped bumper while on... and if dirt gets between the pad and your bumper (or maybe even not, depending on the inside facing material) it will just end up scratching the hell out of your bumper anyway...
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00