E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Metallic Noise Coming From Engine During Acceleration

05-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Parity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi, Mazdaspeed3

Metallic Noise Coming From Engine During Acceleration

Hey everyone,

Just today I noticed the car is making a metallic noise when accelerating (usually in higher gears, like 3rd-6th) only between RPMs 2-3k. Best way I can describe it is the sound your brakes make when theyre worn down or the guide pins aren't greased. As soon as I let off the accerlation pedal, the noise stops. My initial thought was timing chain, but I've read that these usually last quite a while. Once I got off the highway, I noticed the noise stopped. However it was significant enough to hear it while driving. No other noises/feels when this occured.

Any thoughts?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

2008 328xi, 6speed, 121000 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
To be honest I can barely hear it. I do hear kind of like a metallic whine. This could very well be a stuck caliper if you got worn down brakes though I doubt it is. Check if all your pads got meat on them and the rotors got no lip. If so I'd have a check from cold after driving a bit seeing if one of the wheels gets hotter than the others.

This could be a ton of things like a pulley or who knows, try if it does it with the AC off.

To me it sounds like an odd intake noise at low rpm with maybe something loose in the intake track or whatever
Appreciate 0