THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Changing a Flat

05-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Changing a Flat

After reading the recent post on jacking up a BMW I'm now unsure what to do if I have a flat. Typically I would just change the tire but with no spare and no jack and now it seems no easy way to jack the car up it would require a tow truck.

Ok I can do that but can I trust the tow guy to not damage my car. (Bad experience once before) Demanding a flat bed and delivery to a tire store should be safe, those guys jack a hundred cars a day.

What have you done?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Which post exactly and why wouldn’t you be able to jack up the car?

You either have runflats or tire sealant in a modern BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What can be done?

1) If you have them, get rid of runflats as they tend to blow out and tear WAY MORE than normal tires.

2) Buy a $20 Harbor Freight emergency scissors jack. The head of the jack fits perfectly into the lift pucks of the car.

3) Buy a temporary tire plug kit and learn how to use it. Most flats are from punctures and can be fixed temporarily while on the side of the road. With the exception of runflats, blow outs are rare.

4) Have lug wrench on board that is of adequate length to give you the leverage needed to break the lugs free.

5) Make sure the factory emergency air compressor works.

6) Carry a set of basic tool in the trunk: Pliers (to pull out screws, nails from tire), small crescent wrench, knife to cut the temporary tire plug, screwdriver with a set of interchangeable tips flat head and Phillips head screw driver, electrical tape, and duct tape.
      05-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
What can be done?

1) If you have them, get rid of runflats as they tend to blow out and tear WAY MORE than normal tires.

2) Buy a $20 Harbor Freight emergency scissors jack. The head of the jack fits perfectly into the lift pucks of the car.

3) Buy a temporary tire plug kit and learn how to use it. Most flats are from punctures and can be fixed temporarily while on the side of the road. With the exception of runflats, blow outs are rare.

4) Have lug wrench on board that is of adequate length to give you the leverage needed to break the lugs free.

6) Carry a set of basic tool in the trunk: Pliers (to pull out screws, nails from tire), small crescent wrench, knife to cut the temporary tire plug, screwdriver with a set of interchangeable tips flat head and Phillips head screw driver, electrical tape, and duct tape.
#7 dead blow hammer in case the wheel is stuck to the hub, inexpensive and much safer than kicking or climbing under the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

About to move from RFT to "normal" lol

4) Have lug wrench on board that is of adequate length to give you the leverage needed to break the lugs free

Seen a few folks post a wand type, not sure if from Amazon or BMW, guys use for track too I believe.

Dug around last night and couldn't find..anyone ?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

A breaker bar and impact socket works just as well and might make things a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
What can be done?

Yup. Just got the same combo. Went 1 step further though - got a spare from ECS (their assembled kit) so I don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere..
Another reason to get rid of runflats is that MP4S are just way better
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
davehoff
Rep
Drives: 2018m240ix convertible

Bought a tire inflator and repair system
From Griots
Got rid of the run flats

I've had 2 flats in 25 years one was a run flat
Pothole confrontation the run flat lost
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Get the wheel/tire insurance... Ride the flat to the dealer, get new wheel/tire hahahahaha...

Just kidding

Run flats suck, don't use them.

Have been looking to get an emergency spare for the trunk, is best bet to not rely on anything else. I like the plug kit too, is small, and just need minimal stuff to make it work. Otherwise just call for a tow! That sucks because you have to deal with downtime!

Anyways, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

First thing after bringing the car home:
Bought a compact spare with tray for
scissor jack and Velcro tie down straps.
Put in a breaker bar with socket, a Dynaplug
kit, pressure gauge, and a hand pump from
the previous car that the M240i replaced.
Put on NRF winter tires and wheels (this was
December) and changed the RF A/S P7s to
NRF Michelin PSS4s on the oem tires (they’re
on now).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Seen a few folks post a wand type, not sure if from Amazon or BMW, guys use for track too I believe.
Dug around last night and couldn't find..anyone?
You can see the BMW & Schwaben wand style here. Might be able to use the part # to find them cheaper. https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...mw_lug_wrench/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

To put a spare in the trunk would displace the golf clubs. That's not going to happen. A tow is paid for (AAA) and I'm retired so time is measured differently for me. 17" wheels and non-runflats are more pothole resistant than some setups. Last flat I had was in 2008 so not sweating it much, just want a plan.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

I’ve plugged at least a dozen nail holes
since 2008. About half of them at the
curb at home and about half away from
home on the side of the road or in a
parking lot. You must have charmed
roads and tires and no-one in your
neighborhood that has re-shingled
their roof.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
I’ve plugged at least a dozen nail holes
since 2008. About half of them at the
curb at home and about half away from
home on the side of the road or in a
parking lot. You must have charmed
roads and tires and no-one in your
neighborhood that has re-shingled
their roof.
I keep a plug kit and air compressor in each of our 3 current cars, non of which have spare wheels or runflats. That equipment has been able to temporarily deal with the less than 10 screws and nails I’ve had to extract and plug over the past 32 years since the second of two “blow outs” I’ve had in my 43 years of car ownership. Not having a spare or run flats on most roads and most weather conditions is not a problem for me (only a few times have I thrown in one of the summer tyres when in the middle of winter on rarely travelled roads).

We are lucky in our neighbourhood that all houses have to have tiled or shake roofs, no shingles allowed, so it is rare for anyone to need roof replacement.
Appreciate 1
cooolone2625.00
      05-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Call BMW road side assist or AAA - done.
      05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
About to move from RFT to "normal" lol

4) Have lug wrench on board that is of adequate length to give you the leverage needed to break the lugs free

Dug around last night and couldn't find..anyone ?

Thx
Yeah, the torque spec on the lug bolts is 105 ft-lbs! I have a 1/2" drive ratchet, short extension and a 6 point socket in the trunk. With those I have a 12"-15" piece of steel pipe (home depot carries it) that I slide over the ratchet handle. I put the pipe inside the roll of paper towels.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

For those who recommend sitting roadside while waiting, perhaps for hours - it happens, for AAA or other road service, we can only be happy for you that you are in locations where the seasons are moderate, so you don't have to run your engine meanwhile, where anyone who passes by and sees you are disabled will have only the best intentions, and that you have a lot of leisure time. If we can empathize with anyone not so pleasantly situated, other solutions become well advised.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
To put a spare in the trunk would displace the golf clubs. That's not going to happen. A tow is paid for (AAA) and I'm retired so time is measured differently for me. 17" wheels and non-runflats are more pothole resistant than some setups. Last flat I had was in 2008 so not sweating it much, just want a plan.
A reasonable overall risk reduction plan would be to have a minispare and jack kit in the garage. Leave it at home when golfing or staying in your immediate area. Take it along when venturing further. BTW, with fold-down rear seats, golf clubs and minispare should both fit when carrying up to two front seat occupants.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc512.50
      05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Yeah, the torque spec on the lug bolts is 105 ft-lbs! I have a 1/2" drive ratchet, short extension and a 6 point socket in the trunk. With those I have a 12"-15" piece of steel pipe (home depot carries it) that I slide over the ratchet handle. I put the pipe inside the roll of paper towels.
I just carry a $20 Gorilla extendable lug wrench and socket. 105 ft/lbs with that is nothing.

In my 30+ years of driving including my car, my wife's cars, and hundreds of rentals driving in all parts of the country, I have never experienced a blow out. I gotten less than 10 punctures from nails and screws that caused slow leaks. In almost all those cases, I just used temporary plugs and NEVER got them professionally fixed. They held air completely fine for thousands of miles including autocross and drag racing on a real track. LOL. I've never gotten a puncture close enough to the sidewall area to necessitate the need to replace a tire.

I know that some carry temporary spares, but damn that kills carrying capacity. I don't see the point based on my experience with tire issues.
      05-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know that some carry temporary spares, but damn that kills carrying capacity. I don't see the point based on my experience with tire issues.
This all depends on how one prefers to manage risk. I've never had a house burn down or be blown away by a tornado, but I pay the homeowner's premium every year...because I know what would happen the first year I didn't!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

This is my favorite topic...

Im considering a full size spare for this exact reason..those of you who say "call triple a"...yeah..not ideal.

I waited for 5 hours for a tow last october, and then was informed that the truck drivers couldnt make it up the ramp for the parking garage I was in, so I had to roll the car at 5 mph down a circular ramp for half an hour.

There are many places where the tow wont come for hours at a time. They also wont tow the car without the driver present, so not like you can take an uber elsewhere.

For those reading, instead of paying $30+ for the "specialty wrench", its $10 at harbor freight for the 25" 1/2" breaker bar with their coupon. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-60819.html

This will take off ANY lug nut. I have undone rusted brake caliper brackets with that badboy.

Add a 17mm deep socket of your choosing, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Metr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

$6 and some change at lowes.

for about $17 you'll be good to go, and completely reusable if you ever need to use it on another car..a deep socket impact set at harbor freight is around $20 (before coupon) which will cover you from car to truck size (includes the 21mm that GM uses), instead of buying a wrench that is specific ONLY to bmw lugs.

now Im sourcing an OEM ferric gray wheel, and another tire, to replace one that got some curb rash, and that will migrate to trunk to become the spare. As hundreds of others have said, the scissor jack at harbor freight can be had for cheap, and fits perfectly for our use.

Relying on the idea of a tow, or plugging a tire yourself..you guys are optimistic and lucky.

I drive in snow constantly..and through some questionable areas in Detroit. I want to minimize downtime in those situations. I can swap out a tire in low light in 20 mins (sometimes faster). a headlamp might be the unspoken best part of this kit. Murphys law says that you will get a flat when its dark out

Last edited by AleksanderSuave; 05-09-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
I just carry a $20 Gorilla extendable lug wrench and socket. 105 ft/lbs with that is nothing.

In my 30+ years of driving including my car, my wife's cars, and hundreds of rentals driving in all parts of the country, I have never experienced a blow out. I gotten less than 10 punctures from nails and screws that caused slow leaks. In almost all those cases, I just used temporary plugs and NEVER got them professionally fixed. They held air completely fine for thousands of miles including autocross and drag racing on a real track. LOL. I've never gotten a puncture close enough to the sidewall area to necessitate the need to replace a tire.

your 30+ years of driving have been very lucky. I had a tire blow out on my WRX, and in the time from getting from the left lane, crossing the middle, and getting to the right lane shoulder (no shoulder on the left), the tire was shredded. No patching would have helped, and had I not had a spare, the flatbed would have been the only option.

I was able to jack the car up, swap the tire, and still make it to work on time.
Appreciate 0