E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > An Idle issue, let me explain

04-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
afstud
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon M-Sport

An Idle issue, let me explain

N52, I have this weird idle issue, its only smooth 50% of the time. Warm starts the idle will jump for about 7 seconds every warm start, cold starts its perfect and smooth.

Went through a car wash, 10 mins after that i was drying the car and i could hear the idl bouncing ever so slightly, maybe between 200 RPMS total.

Ive LITERALLY replaced almost everything trying to resolve this with it to only be a temporary fix or no change at all. From Plugs and coils, to cleaning filters and swapping out new Vanos Sensors. ive done it all, Does anyone else get this issue? im not sure what else to do at this point. the only thing that hasnt been done is the Fuel Injectors

I was going to swap out the gaskets on all of them as another thing to be checked off the list. Im wondering if maybe the old seals at 128k original miles are starting to shrink causing a small air leak?

was just a thought.

Any help? insight? TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud View Post
N52, I have this weird idle issue, its only smooth 50% of the time. Warm starts the idle will jump for about 7 seconds every warm start, cold starts its perfect and smooth.

Went through a car wash, 10 mins after that i was drying the car and i could hear the idl bouncing ever so slightly, maybe between 200 RPMS total.

Ive LITERALLY replaced almost everything trying to resolve this with it to only be a temporary fix or no change at all. From Plugs and coils, to cleaning filters and swapping out new Vanos Sensors. ive done it all, Does anyone else get this issue? im not sure what else to do at this point. the only thing that hasnt been done is the Fuel Injectors

I was going to swap out the gaskets on all of them as another thing to be checked off the list. Im wondering if maybe the old seals at 128k original miles are starting to shrink causing a small air leak?

was just a thought.

Any help? insight? TIA
have you checked to see if you have any trouble codes??
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:10 AM   #3
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
You should definitely perform a smoke test. This sounds like a vacuum leak. Keep in mind even though there's a code for lean banks there is a threshold to how much deviation it can have before it throws a code. You can also with a scanner check live data and see what your short and long term fuel trims are like. anything above 10 or below -10 (5 either way to my standards) will cause a code or an issue like rough idle. It should be very close to 0.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:18 AM   #4
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

I had similar symptoms on my 08 328i, and it was the MAF sensor that caused them.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0