BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 M50i Race Chip Install Tutorial

04-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i - 20' X7 M50i

X7 M50i Race Chip Install Tutorial

Hey guys, just wanted to make a quick write-up with some pics on how to install a racechip for the M50i (I believe will work for JB4 as well, as that should connect to passenger and driver side boost pressure sensors).

As stated above, you will be connecting to the boost pressure sensors located at the bottom of both driver and passenger side intercoolers. Whole process took about 30 minutes.

Step 1: remove silver cross-bars
Step 2: remove drivers side intake snorkel (it's a bit difficult to get the intake removed from the bottom clips, but you can stick a screwdriver down there to assist.
Step 3: with drivers snorkel removed, you have access to sensor. Connect the A cable in the racechip harness to this sensor.
Step 4: you can remove the passenger snorkel however, I was able to access the sensor without removing.
Step 5: connect cable B on the harness to the passenger sensor

I decided to place the racechip on the passenger side next to the snorkel...there is a lot of room over here to tuck away.

Step 6: connect harness to racechip and see if everything boots up. Start car and look for any CEL or alarms to pop up.
Step 7: put all back together if no issues
Step 8: take for drive on less aggressive map first to see if any errors come up and step up to next aggressive map...rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Shout out to Ben r33_RGSport for the racechip!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12971.00
cncmastr1590.00
m-prsev74.50
      04-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
TAG Prez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC / 2023 Alpina XB7

Did you notice any issues with throttle tip in, shift smoothness or anything else? I had installed a harness like this on my panamera turbo and under full load it was fine, but on light to medium load it occasionally felt like it (engine/trans) was confused.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i - 20' X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG Prez View Post
Did you notice any issues with throttle tip in, shift smoothness or anything else? I had installed a harness like this on my panamera turbo and under full load it was fine, but on light to medium load it occasionally felt like it (engine/trans) was confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG Prez View Post
No, it's very smooth. I've had a Racechip on 3 cars now (have on my m340i and had it on previous X5) and works very well with the cars. Really don't even notice there is a tune on it until you hit the pedal; you can definitely feel the difference (for the good). The only time I remember feeling that jerky feeling was when I had my f10 M5 with a JB4 on it; It just never felt perfect to me thru the city.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRick89 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to make a quick write-up with some pics on how to install a racechip for the M50i (I believe will work for JB4 as well, as that should connect to passenger and driver side boost pressure sensors).

As stated above, you will be connecting to the boost pressure sensors located at the bottom of both driver and passenger side intercoolers. Whole process took about 30 minutes.

Step 1: remove silver cross-bars
Step 2: remove drivers side intake snorkel (it's a bit difficult to get the intake removed from the bottom clips, but you can stick a screwdriver down there to assist.
Step 3: with drivers snorkel removed, you have access to sensor. Connect the A cable in the racechip harness to this sensor.
Step 4: you can remove the passenger snorkel however, I was able to access the sensor without removing.
Step 5: connect cable B on the harness to the passenger sensor

I decided to place the racechip on the passenger side next to the snorkel...there is a lot of room over here to tuck away.

Step 6: connect harness to racechip and see if everything boots up. Start car and look for any CEL or alarms to pop up.
Step 7: put all back together if no issues
Step 8: take for drive on less aggressive map first to see if any errors come up and step up to next aggressive map...rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Shout out to Ben r33_RGSport for the racechip!
Thank you for the mention and the write up.

Glad that you enjoy the product.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

About to do this. Do those cross bars require a specific torque when tightening back on?
      04-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Any before and after dyno? A good friend just tried out a racechip on his f90 and yielded merely a 30ish whp gain. Not here to bash racechip, but interested as there is no tuning options on the newer dme's
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
Radguy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Any before and after dyno? A good friend just tried out a racechip on his f90 and yielded merely a 30ish whp gain. Not here to bash racechip, but interested as there is no tuning options on the newer dme's
Carbahn (Dinan's new company)?

Advertised power increase to 700 HP and 700 Ft.Lbs. with an option to buy a warranty on the M50i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radguy View Post
Carbahn (Dinan's new company)?

Advertised power increase to 700 HP and 700 Ft.Lbs. with an option to buy a warranty on the M50i
Now we are talking..I am a fan of buying if someone has dragy results or at least dyno sheet from same day/same car. JB4 seems like another option, but i'm not a fan of all the mentions of fueling codes/limp mode at WOT.
Appreciate 0