04-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Newbie here, sorry...Is there a way/technique to get the Extended Shadow trim(M Sport purchased) installed from the dealer free of charge? I know dealers make a lot of money from those kind of add-ons. I feel I'll lose that battle once I mentioned to them and for that reason I'd really appreciate your advice on the matter. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
Newbie here, sorry...Is there a way/technique to get the Extended Shadow trim(M Sport purchased) installed from the dealer free of charge? I know dealers make a lot of money from those kind of add-ons. I feel I'll lose that battle once I mentioned to them and for that reason I'd really appreciate your advice on the matter. Thanks.
For free? Not likely. If you did not tick that box as part of ordering your X7 (or if you are buying from dealer inventory without the option installed from the factory), then you will have to pay the dealer something. If you are still negotiating, you can always try to get a discount on the parts and/or the labor to install them. Installing the grill and rear trim strip is very easy so try to negotiate no more than an hour of labor (you can even show them the factory install procedures if they try to BS you on the labor time). The exhaust tips will take more work though as it technically requires bumper removal. I negotiated installing a few M Performance parts on my M3 when I purchased it a few years ago. I got 15% off the parts and a slightly reduced labor rate to install them.

Front Grill: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...rip/1VncrvFCpw
Rear Trim Strip: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...rip/1Vne18An2C

While everything is negotiable when it comes to new car sales, the probability of having any of the extended shadow line parts thrown in and installed for free like a set of rubber floor mats is pretty low. But there is nothing wrong with asking (and negotiating). What's the worst they are going to say, no? FWIW, I purchased my X7 from the lot but it did not have the Extended Shadow Line trim from the factory. I did negotiate a discount to get the grill and rear trim strip. But I opted to not do it as I could get the parts cheaper elsewhere and I will install them myself since they are very easy to install. I have not decided if I want to do the exhaust tips yet though (more involved install for DIY).

Good luck!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exokiss View Post
For free? Not likely. If you did not tick that box as part of ordering your X7 (or if you are buying from dealer inventory without the option installed from the factory), then you will have to pay the dealer something. If you are still negotiating, you can always try to get a discount on the parts and/or the labor to install them. Installing the grill and rear trim strip is very easy so try to negotiate no more than an hour of labor (you can even show them the factory install procedures if they try to BS you on the labor time). The exhaust tips will take more work though. I negotiated installing a few M Performance parts on my M3 when I purchased it a few years ago. I got 15% off the parts and a slightly reduced labor rate to install them.

Front Grill: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g07-x7-xdrive40i-sav/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-13-trim-parts-covers-handle-strip/1VncrvFCpw
Rear Trim Strip: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g07-x7-xdrive40i-sav/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-13-trim-parts-covers-handle-strip/1Vne18An2C

While everything is negotiable when it comes to new car sales, the probability of having any of the extended shadow line parts thrown in and installed for free like a set of rubber floor mats is pretty low. But there is nothing wrong with asking (and negotiating). What's the worst they are going to say, no? FWIW, I purchased my X7 from the lot but it did not have the Extended Shadow Line trim from the factory. I did negotiate a discount to get the grill and rear trim strip. But I opted to not do it as I could get the parts cheaper elsewhere and I will install them myself since they are very easy to install. I have not decided if I want to do the exhaust tips yet though (more involved install for DIY).

Good luck!
They already agreed to install the paint protective film for free but not sure if I dare to ask them about the trim.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Also, I'm assuming that 715 and 760 aren't the Extended shadowline trim or I'm mistaken?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Nope, those are the option codes for the standard black trim pieces that come with the M-Sport package. As far as asking for "more" in your deal, again, what is the worst they are going to say, no? You lose nothing by asking for more if you are already prepared to execute your current deal....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Nope, those are the option codes for the standard black trim pieces that come with the M-Sport package. As far as asking for "more" in your deal, again, what is the worst they are going to say, no? You lose nothing by asking for more if you are already prepared to execute your current deal....
Of course, I agree with you. I'm actually preparing my exclusive 😊email to their Sales Manager as we speak with the hope that we'll get it done. Let's see..
Appreciate 0