BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
alpinafan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe Alpina B3S BT

X4 M40d exploding rear screen

Drove my new X4 M40d home just before the lockdown.
A couple of days later opened the car in my Garage, when I closed the rear hatch the screen exploded

Is this a known fault ?, as BMW will not cover glass under the warranty.
Now stuck with a car I can not drive as all glass repairers are only doing essential repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinafan View Post
A couple of days later opened the car in my Garage, when I closed the rear hatch the screen exploded

Now stuck with a car I can not drive as all glass repairers are only doing essential repairs.
WTH? Sorry for your pain :-/

Wouldn't a non-existant rear screen be deemed essential? :-/
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I believe it's the kind of thing the police would pull you for, so yes I'd say it's essential repair.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Screen?!?

*WINDOW*
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
alpinafan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe Alpina B3S BT

By essential I meant an essential worker ie NHS etc, as I am retired I don't count
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
*WINDOW*
Two countries divided by a common language

Last edited by dmicah; 04-06-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 02:45 AM   #7
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Autoglass:

"Our service is currently only available to identified key workers providing essential services in the COVID-19 pandemic response and those who need their vehicle for critical travel that is permitted by the UK Government. ***We can also help fix your side or rear window in case of an emergency. If you do not fall into these categories, please do not try to book at this time.***"

Note the last sentence. Worth a punt?

Interesting, if I',m correct in my understanding, they call rear window :-). I always thought it was the rear windscreen. However, thinking about it, the definition of "wind" screen surely wouldn't apply to the rear (unless you drive backwards very fast ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:17 AM   #8
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Autoglass:

"Our service is currently only available to identified key workers providing essential services in the COVID-19 pandemic response and those who need their vehicle for critical travel that is permitted by the UK Government. ***We can also help fix your side or rear window in case of an emergency. If you do not fall into these categories, please do not try to book at this time.***"

Interesting, if I',m correct in my understanding, they call rear window :-). I always thought it was the rear windscreen. However, thinking about it, the definition of "wind" screen surely wouldn't apply to the rear (unless you drive backwards very fast ;-)
Quote:
Autoglass:

I would try it. What's your profession?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

I too was thinking about the derivation of screen - for the front it's quite obvious as originally cars didn't have (wind) screens and it is functioning as a screen. The rear can also be a screen as it stops the air rushing into the car...just as with a convertible where the air hits you in the back of your head - that's why for some convertibles there's a screen option for behind the front seats.

It's marginally convoluted but we got there - screen is ok for the rear.
      04-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
alexdm
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

I’d have thought a shattered window/windscreen would be essential - what if you couldn’t park in a garage??

Have you tried some of the other windscreen repair companies? Or your insurance? They may have someone who can do it... I’d imagine you will want to claim on your insurance anyway if BMW won’t cover it... It’ll be expensive!

Also - if it’s a new car and it shattered on its own after just a few days I’d really hope BMW would cover that as it is clearly a defect of some sort. Have you tried contacting the dealership? Most are still accepting calls and emails to customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #11
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Cracked and shattered glass are the new normal, unfortunately. This also happens on new model M-Bs. Thinner glass, irrespective of the strength of the glass material itself, is to blame. Thinner means lighter, which means fuel economy and emissions performance in line with stricter legislation. And less costly for the carmaker. More costly for the consumer, in terms of inconvenience to replace the glass, and cost if uninsured.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      04-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdm View Post
I’d have thought a shattered window/windscreen would be essential - what if you couldn’t park in a garage??

Have you tried some of the other windscreen repair companies? Or your insurance? They may have someone who can do it... I’d imagine you will want to claim on your insurance anyway if BMW won’t cover it... It’ll be expensive!

Also - if it’s a new car and it shattered on its own after just a few days I’d really hope BMW would cover that as it is clearly a defect of some sort. Have you tried contacting the dealership? Most are still accepting calls and emails to customers.
Absolutely its essential, it stops exhaust fumes being drawn into the car from the airflow caused by drving forwards
Appreciate 0