BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Question Best roads in Tri-State area??

Hey guys, now that I have a "real" car, I'd like to find some great roads in the area, with lots of turns and curves, or with some nice scenic views. Any ideas?

So far I have received one tip but, please, keep adding your suggestions to a copy of my initial post. This way we will keep it clean and organized. Thanks!

NY state:
- Route 94 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_94)
- Route 9W North of West Point: great turns and scenic views, medium - high speeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_9W_(New_York)
- Henry Hudson Parkway to Saw Mill Parkway - mild twisties, moderate speed
- Harlem River Drive - ultimate twisties, moderate speed

NJ state:
- Route 1&9 Express South passing Newark Airport - excellent straightaway, good visibility, high speed

CT State:
-

PA state:
- Route 22 West in Easton after toll bridge out of NJ, awesome 1/2 mile of s-turns followed by a straightaway, moderate to high speed

Last edited by MTROIS; 09-14-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

NY
Henry Hudson Parkway to Saw Mill Parkway - mild twisties, moderate speed
Harlem River Drive - ultimate twisties, moderate speed

NJ
Rt 1&9 Express South passing Newark Airport - excellent straightaway, good visibility, high speed

PA
Rt 22 West in Easton after toll bridge out of NJ, awesome 1/2 mile of s-turns followed by a straightaway, moderate to high speed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Harriman State Park/ Bear Mountain is IMO, the best driver's location in the area. I'll take you around up there if you'd like one day
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesDKE View Post
NY
Henry Hudson Parkway to Saw Mill Parkway - mild twisties, moderate speed
Harlem River Drive - ultimate twisties, moderate speed
From the GWB to the $2.75 (forget name) bridge and up to Saw Mill is also known as the biggest speed trap in NYC, beware NYPD Highway Patrol running laser at all times of the day especially the morning and afternoon commute, speed limit suddenly drops to 45 from 55 right were the fun starts...becareful!!!

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Wantagh has great straightway, im not sure about the scenary though =P
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
From the GWB to the $2.75 (forget name) bridge and up to Saw Mill is also known as the biggest speed trap in NYC, beware NYPD Highway Patrol running laser at all times of the day especially the morning and afternoon commute, speed limit suddenly drops to 45 from 55 right were the fun starts...becareful!!!
Yeah - that's exactly where I'm talking about. I've seen NYPD southbound right before you exit to the GWB from the tolls but never northbound.

I especially love driving northbound past the tolls though - you can really rip up the M3 here... again, not sure where the cops hide so thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
Thanks for the heads up Monsta!!!
      09-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesDKE View Post
Yeah - that's exactly where I'm talking about. I've seen NYPD southbound right before you exit to the GWB from the tolls but never northbound.

I especially love driving northbound past the tolls though - you can really rip up the M3 here... again, not sure where the cops hide so thanks for the heads up.
I used to rip it through there every morning also when i used to come over the GWB a little before 7am there was a cop always "lasering" on the straight away before twisties (30mph) northbound or right after the Dyckman exit....one also sits running radar when your coming from riverside drive catching the guys flying from the West Side HWY...after the toll, I've seen unmarked DT cars off to the side running laser (good vantage point since they are able to quickly jump on highway and give chase), even saw a grand cherokee pull someone over the other day I was like WTF is going on here I need to watch out....another spot is southbound before the tolls there is a constuction sign and the NYPDHP sits right in front of it once you come around the bend BAM!!! caught....

btw I've never been stopped by them b/c I'm careful...Knock on wood, I haven't gotten in speeding ticket in over 5yrs and I've hit the limiter in my car

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
unknownx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post
Harriman State Park/ Bear Mountain is IMO, the best driver's location in the area. I'll take you around up there if you'd like one day
+1

im over at e60.net and we recently had our bear mountain run and they have the best twisties! no fooling around tho or your off the cliff!
Appreciate 0