Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 19s On Non-Adaptive Suspension

03-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
T-NAS93
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i M Sport

19s On Non-Adaptive Suspension

Hi I'm new here.
Just recently purchased a bmw 320i M Sport, the car currently has 18s on run flat tyres. I'm not a big fan of the 18s so planning on changing to 19s but the car doesn't have Adaptive suspension it has M Sport suspension. I wanted to know if its a good idea to go to 19s in terms of ride comfort on both Sport setting and comfort setting. And if I do go for 19s which tyres should I go for?
Thank You all support would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Ride comfort won't change between sport and comfort settings (obviously since you don't have adaptive suspension). 19's are definitely going to decrease your comfort level, but it's all relative to your interpretation of what's comfortable (especially as a daily driver). I would never own another car without adaptive suspension regardless of tire/wheel size.
      03-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
T-NAS93
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Ride comfort won't change between sport and comfort settings (obviously since you don't have adaptive suspension). 19's are definitely going to decrease your comfort level, but it's all relative to your interpretation of what's comfortable (especially as a daily driver). I would never own another car without adaptive suspension regardless of tire/wheel size.
Hmm Thank You. Which tyres should I go for if I were to go for 19s?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Pilot Sport 4S
      03-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
T-NAS93
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pilot Sport 4S
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
As someone with 19" and adaptive, I agree that I don't think it will be a problem overall -- can be a bit jarring in sport mode with all season run flat tires but the Pilot 4S you suggested will help with that.

However, I don't understand what you mean that ride comfort wouldn't change between sport and comfort? They are night and day on my car. Adaptive is basically comfort mode with better leveling (less roll in turns, with less bouncing on higher speed interstate driving, sort of like sport driving but with a lot better cushioning against bumbs and vibration..kind of best of both worlds between sport and comfort). For me the difference between regular sport mode and comfort is very noticeable under almost every condition. Now sport individual is a bit different because I've got it set to sport engine with comfort suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
As someone with 19" and adaptive, I agree that I don't think it will be a problem overall -- can be a bit jarring in sport mode with all season run flat tires but the Pilot 4S you suggested will help with that.

However, I don't understand what you mean that ride comfort wouldn't change between sport and comfort? They are night and day on my car. Adaptive is basically comfort mode with better leveling (less roll in turns, with less bouncing on higher speed interstate driving, sort of like sport driving but with a lot better cushioning against bumbs and vibration..kind of best of both worlds between sport and comfort). For me the difference between regular sport mode and comfort is very noticeable under almost every condition. Now sport individual is a bit different because I've got it set to sport engine with comfort suspension.
He asked if there would be a difference in ride comfort when selecting between comfort and sport...the answer is no because he does not have adaptive dampers. I have them and of course they make a world of difference hence why I said I would never buy another car without them (my previous Audi and Lexus both had adaptive suspension as well).
      03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He asked if there would be a difference in ride comfort when selecting between comfort and sport...the answer is no because he does not have adaptive dampers. I have them and of course they make a world of difference hence why I said I would never buy another car without them (my previous Audi and Lexus both had adaptive suspension as well).
I could be wrong here, but my understanding that switching from comfort to sport (without adaptive) does in fact modify the damper response. The difference in adaptive (as I understand it) is that it uses a combination of your current driving conditions/style and even navigation data to determine what that damper response should be -- so it's basically comfort biased and will take bumps soft by default, but uses the feel of the road to keep the car more level, and or detects taking a winding exit to keep the car from rolling, etc. Whereas the other two modes are just static, either sport (stiff) or comfort (soft).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I could be wrong here, but my understanding that switching from comfort to sport (without adaptive) does in fact modify the damper response. The difference in adaptive (as I understand it) is that it uses a combination of your current driving conditions/style and even navigation data to determine what that damper response should be -- so it's basically comfort biased and will take bumps soft by default, but uses the feel of the road to keep the car more level, and or detects taking a winding exit to keep the car from rolling, etc. Whereas the other two modes are just static, either sport (stiff) or comfort (soft).
If you didn't opt for adaptive suspension, you don't get the "adaptive" button. It's a completely fixed suspension with a single spring/dampening rate.
      03-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you didn't opt for adaptive suspension, you don't get the "adaptive" button. It's a completely fixed suspension with a single spring/dampening rate.
Good to know - I was aware there would be no adaptive button and mode but didn't realize the dampers were static without adaptive. When I was first ordering and asked my sales guy about the specific benefits of adaptive, he seemed to not really recommend it unless driving aggressively often. Then I researched it a bit better and thought given the relatively low cost, I'd best be safe and add it to the order... very glad I did.

I did notice some folks reporting comfort feeling softer even without adaptive, and less body roll in sport mode but it seems this may have something to do with changes in steering weight and not the dampers.
Appreciate 0