Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications G21 OPF delete through midpipe

03-24-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
G21 OPF delete through midpipe

I ordered a new rear muffler for a 320i Touring from Eisenmann. When receiving the VIN I checked the specs and this shows it has a B48C (B48B20A) engine. Quick search resulted in a different exhaust than the B48B previously found in the 320i, the diameter is reduced.
So now the options are welding to the original midpipe or using a pipe reducer of some sort. Not a fan of both options.
I was already toying with the idea of getting the race midpipe as well but this deletes the OPF thus probably giving a CEL?
The midpipe should connect without fitment issues as the car uses the same DP as the 330i B48B.

Now can I run the midpipe with the CEL without causing too many issues? Will the ECU intervene in some way to correct anything?

I know a tune would eliminate this but considering it's a lease I'm a bit wary going this route. Best option would be JB4?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
With JB4 you can clear the CEL.

If you’re on a lease I don’t see any difference if you plan to go JB4 or flash tuning. Both options will alter stock parameters, both are technically tools that enable you to increase the performance of the vehicle.

It’s a controversial topic but I think a flash tune is always more reliable than chiptuning. Instead of altering just a couple of parameters, a flash tune optimizes the whole engine and all its parameters to produce more power.

None of these options are technically ‘worse’ for warranty, if they’re gonna void your warranty, they can do it even if you have a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

You’ll probably need a stage 2 tune to turn the CEL off. Like g20beam said, getting a proper tune would be a better option.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #4
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Sorry I didn’t answer the core of your question.. Running catless downpipe without a tune isn’t recommended.. Always better to get a tune with it as you are altering the setup of your exhaust, and the air fuel ratio and other parameters must be altered to get the optimum performance out of a downpipe. Most of the performance gains from a downpipe, catless or not, comes from a tune. Sure you can run it without, but it’s not recommended. Plus, you’ll just always have a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
My intention as to avoid a tune or using a JB+/4 for warranty issues considering it's a lease. If I had to choose between tune or JB4, obviously a tune would be my first choice. However, since the latest software updates I'm unsure whether these are reliable.
Then again, I've heard previous JB4 dealers/promoters that don't recommend using JB4 on the recent cars due to all the anti-tuning software. It may not run as smooth as a custom tune.

In the meantime I've heard back from Eisenmann and they confirm that on their testcar, when accelerating past 2800 rpm the car went in limp mode.
Burger Motorsport support confirmed the JB4 will delete the DP CEL, but they're not sure it will delete the OPF CEL. - not an option.

Considering a tune is the only option to run a mid-pipe I'm no longer sure I'll be going this route.
Appreciate 0