BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Plant is shutting down on April 3. Supposed to reopen April 19.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I saw this too. Here is a link to a local station. https://www.foxcarolina.com/coronavi...16e2fc94e.html

Here is a more informative article from the Greenville SC newspaper. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...-3/2883470001/

Last edited by Timmer-Bimmer; 03-20-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Well German factories just shut down as well. As significant parts for the all X vehicles come from Germany- including engines & transmissions, it may be alot longer before Spartenburg restarts if they run out of parts.

Wife said I'm very lucky to have just got my M50i- & not just for this reason, with the cratering of the stock market I probably would not have pulled the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

My best guess is that BMW is seeing a dramatic drop in demand plus difficulty in getting parts. Some states are closing car dealership sales departments but allowing service centers to stay open.

I know that many of us here are doing OK financially since we are BMW owners which is typically connected to some wealth. I hope that all of you can survive this financially as I'm sure many of you own businesses or work for businesses that are starting to struggle.

I won't get into a rant on my feelings about this. I just hope everyone is well and our country recovers sooner than later.
Appreciate 6
sygazelle11415.00
chrisny546.50
bluzbra271.00
thereef5101165.00
cjack29.50
      03-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #5
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2020

Crap

My X5 M50i was supposed to start production April 4. They just moved it from scheduled to order received.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

My dealer told me today production is now W14 instead of W15, that is March 30th till April 3rd.

Maybe they will crank him out in W14
But I doubt it. I don't need a car right now or maybe the following months. We're in lockdown
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
JSteinMD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 50i SAV

Scheduled for production

Mine was updated to "scheduled for production" yesterday, so hopefully that means they will get it though before April 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2020

My salesman just checked and I was moved from W15 to W18.

He also said that the powertrains come from Germany are the rate limiter. The come by sea to Savanah then by train. It’s 4 weeks from factory to factor.

Monday is week 13. So in theory anything through week 16 could be built before or after the factory reopens without resupply.

I doubt the factory is reopening when they says. The Germans will continue to respond to the outbreak rationally and will likely be up and running. We won’t and the factory will be closed for a while.

You guys lucked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post

Wife said I'm very lucky to have just got my M50i- & not just for this reason, with the cratering of the stock market I probably would not have pulled the trigger.
I suspect there are plenty of buyers reevaluating the purchase of cars that were placed on order pre-Armageddon, but not yet delivered. I know somebody, ahem, who’s lost a meaningful portion of their net worth in the last month and thus felt much better about their pending auto purchase then they do today. I know this “somebody” has plenty of company of course, which while interesting, is entirely irrelevant to the decision to move forward with his purchase at current terms.

The dealer has none of my money yet - err, none of their money - so nothing is irreversible, but the long-standing excitement about the delivery has picked up some trepidation.

Now the delays in production just provide more runway to reconsider...and perhaps renegotiate. Although the latter would likely be at the margins I would guess because while demand will obviously suffer blunt force trauma, supply is exceptionally low for this specific car...and probably will be for some time given the production delays.
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      03-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgatl View Post
My salesman just checked and I was moved from W15 to W18.

He also said that the powertrains come from Germany are the rate limiter. The come by sea to Savanah then by train. It’s 4 weeks from factory to factor.

Monday is week 13. So in theory anything through week 16 could be built before or after the factory reopens without resupply.

I doubt the factory is reopening when they says. The Germans will continue to respond to the outbreak rationally and will likely be up and running. We won’t and the factory will be closed for a while.

You guys lucked out.
And more than the powertrains come from Germany. I know from threads here certain electronics & even basic parts like fan belts are made in Germany. Spartenburg can't build X vehicles without them.
I think the delays are going to be long- and also for spare parts, this will become a servicing issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

We got lucky as ours is on the boat to Germany. Whether the German dealer can deliver it is another story. They will probably be closed for the near future as part of the mandated national closures. As for me, hopefully I have my first day off tomorrow over the last 14 days....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
I suspect there are plenty of buyers reevaluating the purchase of cars that were placed on order pre-Armageddon, but not yet delivered. I know somebody, ahem, who’s lost a meaningful portion of their net worth in the last month and thus felt much better about their pending auto purchase then they do today. I know this “somebody” has plenty of company of course, which while interesting, is entirely irrelevant to the decision to move forward with his purchase at current terms.

The dealer has none of my money yet - err, none of their money - so nothing is irreversible, but the long-standing excitement about the delivery has picked up some trepidation.

Now the delays in production just provide more runway to reconsider...and perhaps renegotiate. Although the latter would likely be at the margins I would guess because while demand will obviously suffer blunt force trauma, supply is exceptionally low for this specific car...and probably will be for some time given the production delays.
I certainly agree there are likely many folks who placed orders pre Armageddon who are having 2nd thoughts about moving forward. I was in same position as you - dealer took my custom M50i order with no deposit. I could have backed out at any time.And I may have if this catastrophe happened before I took delivery.

I am willing to bet there are decent number of order cancellations coming into Munich right now. Along with simply less sales traffic overall as with all brands. And this may get worse, we have no idea what the market will do in the next month, and more.

But I do love my M50i !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #13
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I certainly agree there are likely many folks who placed orders pre Armageddon who are having 2nd thoughts about moving forward. I was in same position as you - dealer took my custom M50i order with no deposit. I could have backed out at any time.And I may have if this catastrophe happened before I took delivery.

I am willing to bet there are decent number of order cancellations coming into Munich right now. Along with simply less sales traffic overall as with all brands. And this may get worse, we have no idea what the market will do in the next month, and more.

But I do love my M50i !
I bet you do! That’s such a fantastic vehicle. Yea, as things sit now, I’m still planning to pull the trigger, but at some point I’ll just feel like an ass about it, ya know?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I think there will be some very good price deals will be on the cards when things get moving again in 6 months or towards the end of the year.

Most of Europe is in lockdown, this isn't a 3-4 week thing, expect it to last 3-6 months.

Might even think about swapping my 30d (the most popular model here in Australia) for a 50d... assuming I'm still alive ....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
this isn't a 3-4 week thing, expect it to last 3-6 months.
Same applies for the U.S. as COVID-19 is not going to magically disappear overnight.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50