BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Strange/expensive damage to front bumper grill

03-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Got a check engine light on the X7 M50i and took it to the dealership after couple of days. SA called me back immediately about damage to the radiator bcos of an accident and that warranty won't cover it. I just didn't understand what was going on as I would know if there was an accident or if it was bumped by someone when parked through App notification. I insisted on inspecting the car though I was sent pictures. Technician wasn't sure how it happened but guessed it could have been some flying object that hit that part of the grill and went further to damage the radiator flaps that open/close based on the engine temperature. These flaps are controlled by the central computer. When the computer detected non-operation of the flaps it sent a check engine light alert. Now, I was a bit relieved that the radiator as such wasn't damaged. Technician said I was lucky that the main big sensor just got scuffed on the corner which otherwise is $5000 to replace. Just the top cover will be replaced which is like $60. Insurance took it under comprehensive coverage.
So the whole front bumper will be repainted just for small scratches below the grill, front lower grill, radiator flaps and big sensor cover will be replaced. The quote was around $1700.
I'm scratching my head to understand how it happened. A rock? The scratches on the bumper are around 3 inches wide. The rock has to be really big and that could do more damage. There's no damage to the bumper on top of the lower grill which is more protruding part of the whole front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
MMM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X7, 2019 Tundra,

I got the same check engine light. I ended up with an acorn stuck in the louvre so it would not open.
2007 Tundra
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Does anyone else drive your car ever? Maybe someone else backed into your grill with a low hanging hitch receiver and bump notification didn't trigger? FWIW I didn't even think our cars would let us know we got bumped into.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Does anyone else drive your car ever? Maybe someone else backed into your grill with a low hanging hitch receiver and bump notification didn't trigger? FWIW I didn't even think our cars would let us know we got bumped into.
Once the radar detector fell from the windshield mount and I got a notification on my App. Technician told me that it cannot be from a hitch as its depth won't pierce through the radiator flaps without damaging the bumper from a truck or car. Me and my wife drive the car and she's very careful. I won't doubt her though
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink View Post
Once the radar detector fell from the windshield mount and I got a notification on my App. Technician told me that it cannot be from a hitch as its depth won't pierce through the radiator flaps without damaging the bumper from a truck or car. Me and my wife drive the car and she's very careful. I won't doubt her though
This could be damage from some of those nasty curbs/cement parking blocks. I've seen some that are all broken up and in some cases have rebar sticking up through the concrete block. If your not careful this could do exactly the type of damage that the OP has described.

That's why I insisted on the "Parking Assistance Package" which warns you when the bumper gets close to objects that may cause damage. I also use the "Parking Assist" button in these cases as well. It will give you a 3D view of your surroundings as you approach/park so you can see just how close you are to objects all around the vehicle.

Based on which settings you select this feature will automatically engage when you get within a certain distance of objects around the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
This could be damage from some of those nasty curbs/cement parking blocks. I've seen some that are all broken up and in some cases have rebar sticking up through the concrete block. If your not careful this could do exactly the type of damage that the OP has described.

That's why I insisted on the "Parking Assistance Package" which warns you when the bumper gets close to objects that may cause damage. I also use the "Parking Assist" button in these cases as well. It will give you a 3D view of your surroundings as you approach/park so you can see just how close you are to objects all around the vehicle.

Based on which settings you select this feature will automatically engage when you get within a certain distance of objects around the vehicle.
I've those packages and use the parking assist and 3D view all the time. Those cement blocks in parking spaces would damage the lower lip of the bumper if I go over them but the bottom part of the bumper and parts are damage free. Myself and the technician both analyzed this and possibly all scenarios but couldn't come to a conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
I've those packages and use the parking assist and 3D view all the time. Those cement blocks in parking spaces would damage the lower lip of the bumper if I go over them but the bottom part of the bumper and parts are damage free. Myself and the technician both analyzed this and possibly all scenarios but couldn't come to a conclusion.
Ya that is very strange. The scratches on the bumper aren't that deep, which to me means that the grille took the brunt of the damage. So something went straight through the plastic grill. Pine cone at high speeds maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Based on the scratches on the lower surface, it would seem something scrapped up against the front end cracking the grill. Maybe someone backed up into you when you weren't in the vehicle? I guess when the check engine light illuminated, that was the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Quote:
Ya that is very strange. The scratches on the bumper aren't that deep, which to me means that the grille took the brunt of the damage. So something went straight through the plastic grill. Pine cone at high speeds maybe?
That's the only possibility and maybe I didn't hear the impact bcos of quiet cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
Based on the scratches on the lower surface, it would seem something scrapped up against the front end cracking the grill. Maybe someone backed up into you when you weren't in the vehicle? I guess when the check engine light illuminated, that was the day.
If someone backed up, it should first damage/scratch the bumper part on top of the grill. The only other possibility was a low end hitch but then it can't go too deep to damage the radiator flaps without messing the bumper first.

It's just few months old and already in body shop.
Appreciate 0