F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 high Milege maintainence clarification
ARMA SPEED

03-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

N20 high Milege maintainence clarification

2013 bmw 328i Sulev, n26 engine. About 93,000 miles. Driven somewhat aggressive, oil changed with Castrol full synthetic 0w-40 oil every 6k miles, with oem bmw filters, nothing else has been done other than recalls and brake fluid/pads.

I recently replaced all 4 spark plugs with oem bmw plugs and it's running noticeably smoother, I plan on continuing the maintainence before the car hits 100k since I will keep this car forever

Do I need to replace just the timing chain and guide/ tensioner or do I also have to change the oil pump and other stuff since the price difference in the kits are insane

Also what is needed for a transmission and differential service,

Lastly the car sometimes smells like burnt oil from the engine but I can not find any leaks, it's bone dry. Also the auto start stop has a noticeable squeak right before the engine shuts off.

Details on what should be done at this mileage would be well appreciated! (Do I need serpentine belt? Valve cover? Trans fluid? Coolant flush? Timing chain? Pcv valve?)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You don't have to replace the oil pump or the oil pump chain. The oil pump chain is usually replaced since most of the cost of the timing chain replacement is for labor, so as long as they're in there they do it. With high mileage engines they often replace the pump for the same reason.
You usually buy a transmission kit, which includes a new pan with filter.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
chrisca70
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E84 N20B20, E30 M42B18

Typical oil leaks at your mileage are listed below. Clean all of these areas with degreaser, water and a rag and inspect after 40 miles. In many modern bimmers (E92, F30, etc.) the VCG will be toasted at around 80k mi in the N20 & N55.

- Valve cover gasket (usually starts leaking on the left side of the engine if you are facing the vehicle and drips on the turbo generating the burnt oil smell pretty fast). Job is doable, I will post a semi DIY soon with all the caveats needed that I learned doing mine.
- Oil filter housing gasket (super easy to spot, but it is usually a very tiny leak).
- Vacuum pump (located behind the engine, actually is mounted on the rear of the valve cover), usually when you do your VCG you should buy a new valve cover and it comes with the seal (where the vacuum pump mates) installed so you kill 2 birds with one shot.

As for the timing chain, I am planning to do mine at 100k (hey even toyotas have that scheduled service at 100K) but it is apparently a weak point in our engines. There is a class action against BMW that will be probably settled very soon and they may extend the warranty beyond 7yr/70k mi in the USA.

I would also do transmission, differential, brake, and coolant fluid changes (there are DIYs online, SEARCH)

Yes, please do your serpentine belt and tensioner. Belts are due every 30k mi if they are contitech or 60k mi if they are BMW brand. Its cheap insurance against getting stranded for a silly belt. The tensioner is also a cheap insurance while you are at it, I have had tensioners or tensioners bearing fail on me and the design has not changed much in 20 years.

Last, get that ASS disabled hahahaha. Seriously it is a pain in the ___. You can do it cheaply with the Bimmercode app and bluetooth OBD port..
      03-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Don't do the timing chain unless you experience symptoms.

I just changed my serp belt and tensioner at 90k. Easy and cheap.

Differential isn't a bad idea, did mine at 60k. Used Liqui Moly 75w90 (1 quart).

So far I have not touched the transmission and don't plan to.

Surprised your still on factory coolant thermostat, mine went out at 55k (very common, also cheap and easy).

Plugs every 50k for me, due again soon.

Other than that I'm just watching for leaks....

Definitely recommend turning AS/S off permanently.

Planning to keep mine for a long while as well. About to hit 92k miles.
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
      03-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

Yeah, I do have auto stop start disabled. I coded a bunch of things on my f30, I just don't like it how it squeaks when I do use it. I am also pretty sure the bmw dealer did the thermostat at one point when I brought it for service. I guess for now I will do a trans fluid and pan, valve cover gasket set, and a diff fluid swap and see what needs to be done from there, I do know that the n20 timing chains are an issue but I don't want to tear apart my engine unless i have to.
Appreciate 0