BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

09-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Self-done Oil/filter service manual

I've done all my own oil changes on all my cars through the years and as an ex-jet-turbine technicion I think I can handle the basics of changing the M3's oil and filter. But I downloaded the oil/filter change tech-manual from the link below,
I'm not sure if I should post it for legal reasons, but the tech-manual is very raw and very simple with a few steps and instructions. I'd think it would have been a bit more detailed or am I missing something??

Has anyone else that knows a bit about maintenance and service done their own oil change on the M3 or used any of these manuals?

Are there any other steps, cautions, notes, that I should be aware of before doing it myself? thanks fella's

www.bmwtechinfo.com
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I've done all my own oil changes on all my cars through the years and as an ex-jet-turbine technicion I think I can handle the basics of changing the M3's oil and filter. But I downloaded the oil/filter change tech-manual from the link below,

Are there any other steps, cautions, notes, that I should be aware of before doing it myself? thanks fella's

www.bmwtechinfo.com
We would have to log in to read the tech data sheet, so at this point it's hard to respond.

BMW's manuals are written for their trained techs, so they assume you know what you're doing. A lot is left out - a "remove the cover from..." statement can be two hours of work.

I'm also curious about the change procedure - presumably it's like the M5 one, where you drain in a certain sequence, then fill in a certain sequence, and only add a specified amount of oil, with instructions not to deviate.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Ya, that's a good point about the M5, I'll take a chance. Attached are the instuctions, what do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: doc 00 00 610 service -engine oil-filter change.doc (225.0 KB, 703 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

I heard the M3 isn't nearly as invloved as the M5, did you try searching the forum?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

see my repost below-no problem to change the oil

I watched the tech do it. And it is easy to do on the S65 V8.

The M5 and M6 V10 have a dry sump. I have heard that, in order the change the oil according to the factory procedures you have to activate an electric pump throught the BMW Service Computer. This is unverifed info.

However, I know for sure that to change all of the oil in the M3 6 speed transmission, they activated the electric circulating pump (that goes to the transmission oil cooler) through the Service Computer. This was as described in the online service manual.

But nothing like that is required for the M3 engine oil.

On the M3, there are two wet sumps. You drain each with its own drain plugs --There are two drain plugs. You use an allen head socket. The tightening torque is 25NM-18 ft/lbs. Get the oil filter and the two sealing rings are included, at least in the US. They should be replaced each time.

There are cutouts in the aluminum M3 specific strengthing plate for each of the two drain plugs.

You change the oil filter from the top like any other cartridge BMW.

Make sure you use the BMW specified oil. You can see the oil and amounts in my sticky memo at the beginning of this maintenance section.

The procedure is exactly as described in your post from BMWtechinfo. Thanks for posting the copies.

Rob from San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thanks guys for the info. what's the tightening torque for the filter cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome! Thanks fella's, I'll gather a bit more intel from a BMW tech sometime soon hopefully and post any more issues/procedures/techniques that might apply.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0