Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel expert please

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-08-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Wheel expert please

I just ordered the M5 19" wheels. They are 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear, I was told that was best. 235-35-19 F and 265-30-19 rear. I was also told 38mm offset in front and back. I think maybe he said that wrong, can someone please tell me whats right. I am not sure how these numbers work but some was saying the back was a different offset. They ship out Monday so I would love to find out what is right. Can anyone here please please help me, I assume they know what they are doing since I told them I had an e90.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
it all depends what you mean by right. the wheels should fit your car no problem with those offsets. will you need spacers? the answer is yes if you want the wheels to be flush with your fenders. how much? i'd say around 10mm each side (rears)...if you want a really aggresive look, go 15mm, but thats just my $0.02..for expert advice, go ask longtran, natureboy, hrc, or any of our forum gods ... congrats on the new wheels..they will look pympin
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
I just ordered the M5 19" wheels. They are 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear, I was told that was best. 235-35-19 F and 265-30-19 rear.
The best for looking tires for 8.5"/9.5" wheels should be 245/35/19 and 275/45/19. Use 10mm offset in the rear if you plan to lower your car later. 15mm offset only you don't want to lower it. Follow the link below for the M5 wheels with 38mm front/20mm rear offsets. (20mm offset = 38mm offset + 18mm spacer). You will fall in love with it in that picture. One thing you can see is his tire sidewalls are a little stretched out because he has 235/265. I recommend to get the rear wheels in 20mm offset instead of 38mm + spacers.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0&page=2&pp=22

And here another one closed up with stock suspension. You see without dropping, the rear still looks really nice (I can say "perfect") with even space around the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Pretender
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
sorry, here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16671
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
I tried to call them and no answer. I want to get 38 offset front and 20 rear and thats it i guess. I dont understand how that works at all. How can they change it, are they sending me spacers or something? So my lugs aren't going to fit now? I have never changed my wheels, so I want to go from 38 to 20 how is that possible, what are they sending me? I hope it 's not to late

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer
it all depends what you mean by right. the wheels should fit your car no problem with those offsets. will you need spacers? the answer is yes if you want the wheels to be flush with your fenders. how much? i'd say around 10mm each side (rears)...if you want a really aggresive look, go 15mm, but thats just my $0.02..for expert advice, go ask longtran, natureboy, hrc, or any of our forum gods ... congrats on the new wheels..they will look pympin
you know I think you're right, I am going to tell them, to give me a 15 mm spacer for my rears??? so that would mean my rear would be 38 off set front and 23 off set rear? I heard that 20 was to much...is that right? I have no idea what to call and ask, so I would also need longer lugs for all 4 wheels too??? thanks for the quick help, I have to call quick to change, but I can't get anyone on the phone.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
you know I think you're right, I am going to tell them, to give me a 15 mm spacer for my rears??? so that would mean my rear would be 38 off set front and 23 off set rear? I heard that 20 was to much...is that right? I have no idea what to call and ask, so I would also need longer lugs for all 4 wheels too??? thanks for the quick help, I have to call quick to change, but I can't get anyone on the phone.
its not a problem if u cant get anyone on the phone..u can always purchase spacers after you get your wheels. that way, you can see the car with the wheels on and decide whether or not u want them to look more aggresive...20et is really a little low for the rears..if and when u do buy spacers, u will only need a pair (2) of them. one for LR, and one for RR, and you are correct..u will need longer bolts for the rear wheels. a total of 8 extended bolts and 2 new (extended) wheel locks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
its not a problem if u cant get anyone on the phone..u can always purchase spacers after you get your wheels. that way, you can see the car with the wheels on and decide whether or not u want them to look more aggresive...20et is really a little low for the rears..if and when u do buy spacers, u will only need a pair (2) of them. one for LR, and one for RR, and you are correct..u will need longer bolts for the rear wheels. a total of 8 extended bolts and 2 new (extended) wheel locks.
Thank you so much, I hate to sound dumb but I havent bought wheels before. SO when I hear offset, its because of spacers? What about the front, is 38 what they come standard without any spacers at all? The lugs on the front now will fit on the new wheels? So I will only need extended ones on the rear only? 8 normal and 2 locks, I figured it would be nice to get them with the wheels from this company. Where do you get lugs to match the BMW wheels? Do you agree if I ask them for two 15 mm spacers it would be best for the rear, so that would make it 38 front and 23 Rear? sorry for all the questions, but I can't get any info from anyone, and I appreciate your information so much.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you so much, I hate to sound dumb but I havent bought wheels before. SO when I hear offset, its because of spacers? What about the front, is 38 what they come standard without any spacers at all? The lugs on the front now will fit on the new wheels? So I will only need extended ones on the rear only? 8 normal and 2 locks, I figured it would be nice to get them with the wheels from this company. Where do you get lugs to match the BMW wheels? Do you agree if I ask them for two 15 mm spacers it would be best for the rear, so that would make it 38 front and 23 Rear? sorry for all the questions, but I can't get any info from anyone, and I appreciate your information so much.
hey no problems...we're all here to help each other out. The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Basically, that means the offset dictates how much your wheel sticks out/in. The lower the number (i.e. et23) the more the wheel sticks out. The higher the number (et45), the more the wheel will be tucked into the wheel well. An offset of 38 for the fronts should be fine as your wheel is 8.5 inches wide. You can get spacers for the fronts also if you would like, but make sure you buy ones from a reputable manufacturer..you wouldnt want your wheel falling off while you drive your wheels should come with its own set of bolts. (most places include new bolts.) if not, give the place a call and see if they will throw in a set of new bolts for you. if they wont, i believe you can get a new set including 4 new wheel locks for around $40. again, spacing them out would be your choice. 15mm if you dont plan on lowering the suspension, and 10mm if you do. bear in mind, you dont have to get spacers right away...again you can wait till they are on your car and then decide. GL on ur decisions. oh and its not that no one will help u out, its cuz they are all at bimmerfest partyin it up!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
hey no problems...we're all here to help each other out. The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Basically, that means the offset dictates how much your wheel sticks out/in. The lower the number (i.e. et23) the more the wheel sticks out. The higher the number (et45), the more the wheel will be tucked into the wheel well. An offset of 38 for the fronts should be fine as your wheel is 8.5 inches wide. You can get spacers for the fronts also if you would like, but make sure you buy ones from a reputable manufacturer..you wouldnt want your wheel falling off while you drive your wheels should come with its own set of bolts. (most places include new bolts.) if not, give the place a call and see if they will throw in a set of new bolts for you. if they wont, i believe you can get a new set including 4 new wheel locks for around $40. again, spacing them out would be your choice. 15mm if you dont plan on lowering the suspension, and 10mm if you do. bear in mind, you dont have to get spacers right away...again you can wait till they are on your car and then decide. GL on ur decisions. oh and its not that no one will help u out, its cuz they are all at bimmerfest partyin it up!!!
Hey thanks for the help, maybe thats where everyone is..I'm a long way from that place. So you think I should just keep both at 38 like he said, I thought about ordering the 15mm from them if they have them. Like I said I have no idea what this looks like so I assume they have it. I have also heard of hubcentric sp? whatever that is, I assume it keeps the car from shaking, is that what the spacers are? I have no idea where to buy bolts for these wheels around here, so hopefully they will have the extenders. To me, instead of getting the 20 offset, I think the 38 in rear would look better, then use 15mm spacer. Thanks again for helping me and listening to me ramble, it's hard finding out info.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey thanks for the help, maybe thats where everyone is..I'm a long way from that place. So you think I should just keep both at 38 like he said, I thought about ordering the 15mm from them if they have them. Like I said I have no idea what this looks like so I assume they have it. I have also heard of hubcentric sp? whatever that is, I assume it keeps the car from shaking, is that what the spacers are? I have no idea where to buy bolts for these wheels around here, so hopefully they will have the extenders. To me, instead of getting the 20 offset, I think the 38 in rear would look better, then use 15mm spacer. Thanks again for helping me and listening to me ramble, it's hard finding out info.
its all good..hub-centric is basically the distance around the center hub (kinda where the wheel sits without the bolts)...theres a little lip when u take the wheel off, ull see. bmw is 72.5, and i believe that the wheels i bought were 72.6. u can do a search on ebay for spacers and bolts. u can also purchase them from any auto manufacturer of aftermarket parts store. spacers essentially pushes the wheel out. if the offset of the wheel is et38 and the spacer is 15mm -> you take 38-15=23 therefore et23..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Pretender
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
To me, instead of getting the 20 offset, I think the 38 in rear would look better, then use 15mm spacer. Thanks again for helping me and listening to me ramble, it's hard finding out info.
Wrong...20mm offset wheel = 38mm offset + 18mm spacers. The purpose of using spacers because the wheel has high offset (38mm) which causes it to tuck in so much. The spacer will help to push the wheels outward and make it look better. The spacer is used because people don't have the right offset for the wheels. The spacers + long bolts will cost you more than $100 and the color of the new bolt (silver) won't match the stock bolts (black) in front. If I were you, I'd call them to change to 38mm front and 20mm rear. That way I can use my stock bolts and no additional cost for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Dtmautowerkes
Rep
Drives: MCS

Quote:
i got your message and we are sending you +38 front and +20 rear . i was out of the shop when you called in to place the order and my employee did not know much about the offset . but dont worry i will be sending you the right fitment . btw left a message on your cell and PM
Thanks
Herb
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

Spacers add a little unsprung weight, better to avoid. Its better to get the right offset (20-22mm rear for ZSP suspension) built into the wheel, rather than adding a hubcentric spacer. Its redundant and avoidable if you get the right offset to begin with. Sounds like autowerkes is setting you up right.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
Pretender
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Perfect. Congratulation.
You will love the way it looks. I guarantee it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #16
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman811
Spacers add a little unsprung weight, better to avoid. Its better to get the right offset (20-22mm rear for ZSP suspension) built into the wheel, rather than adding a hubcentric spacer. Its redundant and avoidable if you get the right offset to begin with. Sounds like autowerkes is setting you up right.
Yes thanks, I still have not seen the wheels on a sport package car.. All the members here have NON sport package...

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
Perfect. Congratulation.
You will love the way it looks. I guarantee it.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtmautowerkes
i got your message and we are sending you +38 front and +20 rear . i was out of the shop when you called in to place the order and my employee did not know much about the offset . but dont worry i will be sending you the right fitment . btw left a message on your cell and PM
Thanks
Herb
I got it thanks.. I will call you in the am to touch base.

Appreciate 0