E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > HPDE questions

09-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

HPDE questions

I recently signed up and participated in an HPDE event at the Pocono North track. When I registered on-line I put all the necessary information that the had asked for and my previous time trial, auto-x and HPDE events. The response put me in HPDE 2.
I drive 2007 335i (E90) with all OEM parts (sport pkg.) and AA Xede Processor - yes, I ran the car with RFT.
Here are my questions...
- what kind of experience do people need to get to the next level HPDE 3, 4 etc.? Does an instructor sign you off? I'm glad to be in HPDE 2 since I have not done this type of event since the late 90's with my Honda and Acura.

- Brian (BMW drmz) gave me some advice on setting up the car moderately. He suggested pads (I'm forgot what brand), Motul RB600 brake fluid and R- compound tires. Anything else that anyone can suggest.

Also, this car is a lease that matures in April 2009 so I dont really want to invest too much money into the car. I will be leasing another BMW but I'm just not sure which car.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
I recently signed up and participated in an HPDE event at the Pocono North track. When I registered on-line I put all the necessary information that the had asked for and my previous time trial, auto-x and HPDE events. The response put me in HPDE 2.
I drive 2007 335i (E90) with all OEM parts (sport pkg.) and AA Xede Processor - yes, I ran the car with RFT.
Here are my questions...
- what kind of experience do people need to get to the next level HPDE 3, 4 etc.? Does an instructor sign you off? I'm glad to be in HPDE 2 since I have not done this type of event since the late 90's with my Honda and Acura.

- Brian (BMW drmz) gave me some advice on setting up the car moderately. He suggested pads (I'm forgot what brand), Motul RB600 brake fluid and R- compound tires. Anything else that anyone can suggest.

Also, this car is a lease that matures in April 2009 so I dont really want to invest too much money into the car. I will be leasing another BMW but I'm just not sure which car.

Thanks,
Sounds like you did a NASA HPDE...as for when you move up...you need to be signed off at that track to move up. Usually it means driving with your instructor..and ANOTHER instructor to verify your driving car control skills, etc. The Motul stuff is RBF600...yes, I use it. How many total track days..NOT autocross..do you have..and how many recently? I would need to know that before recommending or discouraging purchasing R compounds. You might need a hybrid tire first..something like the Azenis tires by Falken. BTW, I am an instructor for various groups.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

When I took the test it was lead/follow with an instructor (me following and then me leading). After the session I got quizzed on all of the flag definitions

Personally, I don't think you should change anything until you experience something at the track that suggests as change is needed (ie pad overheats, brake fluid boils, etc etc). I've heard you should do at least 10 track day in the last yr before thinking about moving to R compound.. obviously this is a very rough rule of thumb....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd shy away from R-comps since you haven't been on track since the late 90s...and you haven't been on track in this car.

You should play with either the stock tires or an Azenis setup to feel how the car handles at the limit. R-comp will teach you the limits....and subsequently show you how hard it is to remove weeds from the rim/tire interface, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
slalomfever
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
How many total track days..NOT autocross..do you have..and how many recently? I would need to know that before recommending or discouraging purchasing R compounds.
THANKS for the responses. Altogether, prior to last Sunday, I may have had about 15-17 total track days with EMRA (Eastern Motor Racing Assn.) All at the Pocono East, North and Bridgehampton tracks. All in a Civic and Integra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post

Personally, I don't think you should change anything until you experience something at the track that suggests as change is needed (ie pad overheats, brake fluid boils, etc etc). I've heard you should do at least 10 track day in the last yr before thinking about moving to R compound.. obviously this is a very rough rule of thumb....
After a few runs during the first session, I began to feel "spongyness" on the brakes. My front OEM RFT's were squealing all day. After the second session, my front tires were starting to show visible wear on the edges. I actually only completed 3 sessions and passed on the 4th since I was not sure if the tires would hold up. BTW, it had 38 psi of air all around (nitro-fill). I really dont think my tires would last another weekend of HPDE. (at least to have it good enough to return it when the lease is over)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Get the Azenis then...I ruined my stock front OEM tires my first event..before I bought R compounds. So be careful with those and now badly the car pushes.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
slalomfever
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Get the Azenis then...I ruined my stock front OEM tires my first event..before I bought R compounds. So be careful with those and now badly the car pushes.
any recommendations on Falken dealers/ retailers?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

America's Tire/Discount Tire. Tirerack does not carry Falken or Toyo.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I purchase RT615 from vulcantires.com and get them shipped to my local tire installer of choice

FWIW I think you overinflated the tires and didn't back off when they started to overheat/understeer.. I use the OE RFT with 32psi f/r and dial back the corner entry speed a bit when the car starts to get greasy.. usually the tire will cool down a bit and I can step it up again. 4 DE and 5800 street miles and still have 9/32" tread remaining, with even tread wear. Seems like you can keep the stock tires if you play nice

I am also thinking about the motul stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
slalomfever
United_States
Rep

I found out from edge racing that Falken does not make the rear tires set up for my car. I was hoping to get exactly the same tire dimensions as the OEM RFT's. 225-40-18 and 255-35-18...are you guys running a different set up?

Nick, I actually took out 3 psi each corner and was running on 34-35 psi. do you think I should have taken more out?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I found out from edge racing that Falken does not make the rear tires set up for my car. I was hoping to get exactly the same tire dimensions as the OEM RFT's. 225-40-18 and 255-35-18...are you guys running a different set up?

Nick, I actually took out 3 psi each corner and was running on 34-35 psi. do you think I should have taken more out?
I believe others here are using 245-40-18 all around.

Are you talking hot pressure or cold pressure? I was talking about 32psi cold pressure (34psi hot pressure is too low I think, since thats like.. mid high 20 psi cold?)

To be honest, I don't have solid tech to back up my assertion (I don't own a pyrometer). I tried running 34psi cold pressure in the past and I felt like it got greasy sooner than 32psi, so now I use 32psi....

Also, when I used Falken RT215 (on a DA integra ) I would bring a water bottle to spray down the tires between each session, since they were very heat sensitive. It seemed to help keep the tire from getting to hot. Perhaps you could try that as well if your tires are heat sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
slalomfever
United_States
Rep

after the first session I had about 39 psi (hot). I then lowered the pressures after that.

Does anyone know if 245-40-18 will fit the rear of my E90? I think I will invest in a set of Falkens but I want to be sure that they fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I am running 235-40-18 pilot sport cups on all four corners...but have a set of 245-35-18 V700 Kumhos that I am gonna try next. I won a set of R888 235-40-18 so those will go on at some time in the future.

Appreciate 0