BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
One year ago today I drove home with my brand new 2019 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver. Since that day I have logged 13,420 very happy miles. I thought I'd create a post to share my experience to date:

The specs
2019 X3 M40i
Glacier Silver
Black vernasca w/blue contrast stitching
Aluminum trim
Premium package
Executive package
Driving assistant package
Harmon Kardon sound
Wireless charging
21" wheels

The Deal
I purchased the X3 from Chapman BMW Chandler. It's the same dealership where I have purchased all my BMWs in the past and each and every time I've dealt with them for a purchase it has been a pleasant experience. I will say that the deal I got on the X3 overall was just OK in my opinion, especially compared to what some post on here. The reason though is mainly my own doing as I seemed to have put a self imposed urgency on getting a new vehicle. Probably because I had test drove the M40i a week prior and instantly fell in love with it compared to my 2015 Tahoe (especially the power and speed) and I of course couldn't think about much else from the time I drove it to the time the deal was made! Yes, that compulsion and self imposed urgency likely cost me a few grand...but I'm impatient and sometimes stupid when it comes to vehicles, what can I say? In the end I'm satisfied and I'd still return to Chapman again for my next BMW.

The Mods
Before I even bought the X3 I was browsing through IND Distributions catalog of parts available so it wasn't long after making the purchase that I put in an order with Ryan at IND. I've post about the mods I've done over time but in summary here's a list of everything to date:
- Front and rear reflector delete
- Gloss black grille
- Gloss black mirror caps
- Gloss black side vents
- Gloss black boomerangs
- Gloss black Roundels
- Gloss black X3 & M40i lettering
- Floating hub caps
- 3D Design carbon fiber front lip
- Gloss black rear diffuser
- Gloss black rear spoiler
- Color matched license plate frame
- BMW OEM all weather mats front and back
- BMW OEM rear window shades
- Canvasback black cargo liner including sides
- Thule Aeroblade Edge roof rack (not on all the time)
- Thule Motion XT cargo carrier size large (not on all the time)
- Pulled fuse 203 for the exhaust flap to always be open
- Pulled fuse 218 to disable ASD

Overall I'm extremely happy with the current look of my X3 and don't have much else planned for it at this time. I have thought about the following items for future mods but don't have a huge desire to pull the trigger on any of them just yet:
- Future Classic wheel spacers
- Powder coat the 21" wheels in gloss black (this is the only one that I am 99% certain I will do at some point)
- 3D Design carbon fiber rear diffuser

Coding
Before I even purchased the X3 I saw a post on here about a sale on amazon for the ODBLink MX+ being on sale for $49. Given that I was dead set on the X3 as my next vehicle I ordered one as well as purchased a copy of BimmerCode. I haven't done a ton of coding but here are a few of the items I've done so far:
- ASS to remember the last setting...which was set to off. This was a must, especially since I did the vast majority of my 1,200 mile break-in time in comfort mode
- Always start in Sport mode (didn't do this until I was almost done with the break-in period. This of course negates the above coding since ASS is set to off in Sport and Sport+ modes
- Turned off the driver and passenger seat belt reminders. It's annoying to hear the gong if I stop to grab the mail on my way home and I don't put my seat belt back on in the short .2 mile drive to the house.
- Made the ambient light bronze color be pink as my two girls (5 & 3) wanted another color for them besides lilac.

Service
So far the X3 has only been back to the dealership once for service. The service visit was actually unscheduled and only done as I brought it in to get a new tire. I had picked up a rather large screw in my drivers side rear tire and it was not repairable and the only place in probably a 20 mile vicinity or so that had the same kind of RFT tire in stock was the dealership. I was close to being due for my first oil change so the dealership performed that as well as a software update. The only issue during the service was that the software update failed due to me having pulled fuse 218. They put that back in and all went well after that. Overall the first visit was uneventful other than the unplanned $360 for a new tire.

- The B58 engine and the ZF 8HP transmission. I feel like this vehicle really hits the sweet spot between sportiness, utility, and price. It's a great all around package and I've been extremely satisfied with it.
- The exhaust. Love all those burbles, crackles, and pops!
- Ambient lighting. Love how it looks at night.
- iDrive 6. I've always been a fan of iDrive and though it's been one of the best in the industry so I'm a bit partial on this subject. From what I've seen and messed around with iDrive 7 seems great as well but it would seem there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out so I'm a bit glad it didn't come on the 2019s.
- CarPlay. I'm a huge Apple fan to begin with but I absolutely love wireless CarPlay. So nice to just get in and the phone automatically connects without much of a fuss.
- Utility. I find that the X3 has been more than big enough for my wife, two little ones, and myself. Even though I do have the cargo carrier I've never once felt that the X3 wasn't enough room for 98% of the time. The other 2%, well, that is what the cargo carrier is for!
- The looks. This is definitely objective but man I love every angle of this vehicle. BMW really nailed the exterior (and interior for that matter) on this generation.
- The 21" wheels looks fantastic (when clean) and really help complete the overall look.
- Sport seats and the sport steering wheel. The seats have been very comfortable even on a road trip to and from San Diego.

Dislikes
- Soft paint. It's a daily driven car, it's bound to get paint chips but man it sure seems like I have more minor little chips on the front or sides than previously owned vehicles in the same amount of miles driven. I'm hindsight I really wish I had gotten a 3M or Xpel type of coating out on. Then again, it is just a car after all and I'll get over it. Just pains me a little each time I'm doing some spot cleaning or detail work.
- Wireless charging. It works but it's just ok. With CarPlay running and then actually using the phone for Nav or music the wireless charging barely makes a difference. It keeps it maybe even or only allows for a slight drain but it would be nice if it was a bit more powerful.
- Electronic nannies. Yes, overall I love the tech put into this and there are a ton of awesome safety feature but sometimes they are bit too sensitive even when having adjusted the sensitivity already. So not really a dislike but a minor annoyance at times.
- Lack of 3rd party performance exhausts...I absolutely love the exhaust on the M40i as is but c'mon already, I'd love for an even more aggressive one to be released!

Driving notes
- 90% driven in Sport mode with the gear selector to the left and in sport mode as well. The other 10% is probably split with 8% in Sport+ and 2% in comfort now that I'm past the break-in period. I've never even attempted Eco mode and honestly have no desire to.
- Current MPG average is 16.6.
- I have zero complaints with the ride quality even with not having adaptive suspension and being on the 21" RFTs. My wife has also had zero complaints and she'd be the first to tell me if she thought the ride was rough or jarring. It's definitely a far cry from the pothole explosions of my E92 days!

Edit: Added a pic from the day I took delivery.
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 13
      01-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a few photos as well.
Attached Images

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 15
Juris41.00
sinbad4782.50
rkx3m40i176.50
jzmundy991.00
hinckley3492.50
AlexFL7837.00
Em2107.00
dmicah769.00
      01-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Great write up - I agree with all of your points and I feel like I could just plagiarize your write-up as mine

My biggest complaint? Like you, lack of a 3rd party properly loud exhaust. I have Fuse 203 (exhaust valve) and Fuse 218 (ASD) pulled, but I want more noise.

2nd biggest complaint -- I want CarPlay full screen. But with the latest "S" firmware, it's still not possible. I keep asking my guy every month, but no joy so far.

I have square 245/50R19 - which are comfy and pothole-resistant. I love the look of the 245/275 stagger, but I wish the tire sizes were the same as the X3M as I think 245 in the front is just too skinny.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019168.50
chpnsus28.50
      01-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Excellent job with the black outs!! I've only done the kidneys as of now. I need to do the rest.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      01-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Great looking vehicle. Silver w/ black trim is stunning.
      01-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
2nd biggest complaint -- I want CarPlay full screen. But with the latest "S" firmware, it's still not possible. I keep asking my guy every month, but no joy so far.
I purchased a USB mod on eBay that allowed full screen CarPlay. Worked really well. Only concern is BMW firmware update may disable; and you’d have to pay/ do it again.

Regardless.. I was very happy I did it and would do it again.
      01-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Great write up - I agree with all of your points and I feel like I could just plagiarize your write-up as mine

My biggest complaint? Like you, lack of a 3rd party properly loud exhaust. I have Fuse 203 (exhaust valve) and Fuse 218 (ASD) pulled, but I want more noise.

I have square 245/50R19 - which are comfy and pothole-resistant. I love the look of the 245/275 stagger, but I wish the tire sizes were the same as the X3M as I think 245 in the front is just too skinny.
Thanks! You'll need to get it coded to have full screen CarPlay unfortunately. I don't think they'll ever update iDrive 6 with the functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
Excellent job with the black outs!! I've only done the kidneys as of now. I need to do the rest.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Great looking vehicle. Silver w/ black trim is stunning.
Thanks! Funny thing is that I never went in with the intention of getting Glacier Silver and had been lusting over Phytonic Blue the whole time. When I saw Glacier Silver though, I ended up really liking the overall look of it. The gloss black bits make it look even better.

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
I purchased a USB mod on eBay that allowed full screen CarPlay. Worked really well. Only concern is BMW firmware update may disable; and you’d have to pay/ do it again.

Regardless.. I was very happy I did it and would do it again.
The backup camera recall updated iDrive to the "S" version and that does not yet have a hack for coding in CarPlay full screen. I'm not sure how the USB mod would work, but I emailed someone who sold the USB mod and he said he was unsure it worked with the "S" firmware.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
John26830
Private
Rep
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS

Hey "Chicagofan00" I also came to Arizona from Chicago (in '95) you have a great looking SAV I like everything you've done to it. Mine is a MY20 had it 3 months now & did a few mods..wrapped mirrors & side trim also changed grill to black, I also may change wheels to gloss black , powder coat or plasti dip in case I didn't like it, did some basic bimmercode changes which I'm very happy with, my MAIN COMPLAINT is a very dim gauge / Idrive7 screen during the day (night is okay) I had to remove the drivers side window tint (going to be tough in AZ summer sun) in order to see the Idrive screen ..🤬 waiting for a fix from bimmercode or BMW nothing so far, other than that I'm very happy with everything else this X3 offers , only have 1500 miles on it & may do BM3 in future.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      01-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
cloud240
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Is that M logo lighting on the floor an aftermarket mod?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26830 View Post
Hey "Chicagofan00" I also came to Arizona from Chicago (in '95) you have a great looking SAV I like everything you've done to it. Mine is a MY20 had it 3 months now & did a few mods..wrapped mirrors & side trim also changed grill to black, I also may change wheels to gloss black , powder coat or plasti dip in case I didn't like it, did some basic bimmercode changes which I'm very happy with, my MAIN COMPLAINT is a very dim gauge / Idrive7 screen during the day (night is okay) I had to remove the drivers side window tint (going to be tough in AZ summer sun) in order to see the Idrive screen ..🤬 waiting for a fix from bimmercode or BMW nothing so far, other than that I'm very happy with everything else this X3 offers , only have 1500 miles on it & may do BM3 in future.
I've seen your previous posts about the tint and display brightness issue. Definitely a bummer as they should be able to take into account that owners may tint to a certain %. I have done any tint to mine and it was bearable this past summer but a vast majority of the time I do park in covered spots so that helps a ton.

Looks like we've been in AZ almost the same amount of time. I've been out here since '93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud240 View Post
It's not from the factory but the kit is genuine BMW parts. Bought it off another member here but you can find them at your local dealership, eBay, or from IND.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...ctor-light-kit

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
cwbrow2
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5x40i Skyscraper Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26830 View Post
Hey "Chicagofan00" I also came to Arizona from Chicago (in '95) you have a great looking SAV I like everything you've done to it. Mine is a MY20 had it 3 months now & did a few mods..wrapped mirrors & side trim also changed grill to black, I also may change wheels to gloss black , powder coat or plasti dip in case I didn't like it, did some basic bimmercode changes which I'm very happy with, my MAIN COMPLAINT is a very dim gauge / Idrive7 screen during the day (night is okay) I had to remove the drivers side window tint (going to be tough in AZ summer sun) in order to see the Idrive screen .. waiting for a fix from bimmercode or BMW nothing so far, other than that I'm very happy with everything else this X3 offers , only have 1500 miles on it & may do BM3 in future.
I've seen your previous posts about the tint and display brightness issue. Definitely a bummer as they should be able to take into account that owners may tint to a certain %. I have done any tint to mine and it was bearable this past summer but a vast majority of the time I do park in covered spots so that helps a ton.

Looks like we've been in AZ almost the same amount of time. I've been out here since '93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud240 View Post
It's not from the factory but the kit is genuine BMW parts. Bought it off another member here but you can find them at your local dealership, eBay, or from IND.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...ctor-light-kit
I picked mine up 27 July 2019 and have 7k on the odo. I have only one complaint, the soft windshield. I literally stare at the milky way everyday but, the pleasure I get from driving the best vehicle I have ever owned, somewhat helps with the windshield stars.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      02-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #13
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Great post! I'm on the fence on a new m40i and this goes a long way in making my decision.
      02-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1 year and 3 days in I ended up getting the engine coolant low message. Took the X3 in today and they topped off the coolant and pressure tested the system, no leaks that they could find.

I also had my second oil change completed and the air cabin filter and wiper blades replaced during the visit.

Lastly they did perform the backup camera recall software update which did wipe out all my BimmerCode items but that will be easy to do again. I can happily report that I did not notice a difference in the blinker volume level after the update.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #15
ClaretFozzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Fantastic looking car.

Is the rear diffuser easy enough to remove/replace? It looks so much better with that more aggressive style and being gloss black.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      02-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #16
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I've had my X3 M40i 8 months now and I have to say it is the nicest car I've had ... and I have had a few at a young 54 ! The only other car I have been as fond of was an S14 Nissan 200sx back in 1996 !!

I've had loads I liked but some just make you feel that bit happier driving than others.

The only thing I've noticed is people get 4x4 rage ... never have I had a car where people get so irate or take issues with my driving. I can be a dick like everyone but 99% of the time I drive gently and sensibly. This car seems to attract an attitude I haven't had, ever !
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      02-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretFozzy View Post
Fantastic looking car.

Is the rear diffuser easy enough to remove/replace? It looks so much better with that more aggressive style and being gloss black.
Super easy to swap out. Used a trim removal tool to help pop off the tabs and the new one just popped right into place.

There is an issue with the putter most parking sensor brackets not holding the sensors fully flush with the bumper so when in reverse there is a constant beep. Another user on here fixed the brackets and got it flush and no issues now. I haven't been bothered with doing a fix yet and just ignore the noise when reversing.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #18
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Great review. I've had my 2019 X3 M40i for about 13 months and 11k miles so far and love it. It's the best car I've owned by far and is a lot of fun to drive.
chicagofan0019168.50
      02-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #19
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Great review!
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019168.50
      02-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #20
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I'm trying to decide on extra BMW Warranty...on a 2019 X3 M40i...90km in-service date will be 20 Dec 19

Options of course are "Not bother"...Extend to 6 years (120K)...or 7 years (120 or 140K)

Anyone opinions welcome...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #21
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
I'm trying to decide on extra BMW Warranty...on a 2019 X3 M40i...90km in-service date will be 20 Dec 19

Options of course are "Not bother"...Extend to 6 years (120K)...or 7 years (120 or 140K)

Anyone opinions welcome...
I'd say it all depends on cost of the warranty versus putting some money away each month to account for any issues as well as if you truly do plan on keeping the vehicle for an extended period of time.

Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #22
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I don’t know how it works in Canada but in the UK I found my dealer would fix cosmetic stuff under the warranty, they were more flexible than I expected. Not a chance without the warranty.