Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Poor finish along interior side vents

12-31-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

Poor finish along interior side vents

I noticed one day that the faux silver finish along the outer edge of my interior side vents had a cosmetic imperfection, kind of like a smear. Check your cars to see if you have the same. I initially though it was a smear from touching it, but tried test wiping it away, but that is a deception as it still appears no matter how I wipe it. Warning... once you see it, you can't unsee it, so beware before proceeding, because I doubt I'm the only one with this issue. My m340i is a production date July 2019. Also mildly present along the edge of center modules. See pics. This will absolutely go to service for repair. But my concern is I may open a Pandora's box that swaps out the effective items, but then newly installed items cause squeaks and sounds down the road. By experience, be careful replacing dash items. Wtf BMW quality control. Really sloppy QC in Munich.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:28 AM   #2
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Sorry I couldn't get over the poor finish on the rear doors that don't lineup on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Sorry I couldn't get over the poor finish on the rear doors that don't lineup on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
What do you mean by that? I'm not following, is there another issue? I'm tired of this where's Waldo saga. We shouldn't have to discover these things on premium cars that tout quality and fit and finish. These cars are right off the production line. I barely have 800 miles on mine, and never experienced this with BMW. So what's the quid pro quo: we (BMW) give you improved performance and driving dynamics, but in return will take away some interior quality stuff that used to rely on. That's a stingy trade off, stupid zero sum philosophy. Total bullshit I'm going to hold them responsible for on next service visit this week. This is where BMW becomes a victim of its own hype. So be it. That's why there's warranty and I have a valid claim to make.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #4
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

That looks an awful lot like residue from dash shine to me. Before you get all shitty with your service manager give it a squirt of APC and rub with a mf towel.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
That looks an awful lot like residue from dash shine to me. Before you get all shitty with your service manager give it a squirt of APC and rub with a mf towel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
Took it to service and they agree that it's a poor finish. The driver side vent is on order to be replaced. Btw, I would never get "shitty" with my service contact. I've worked too hard to build that relationship over 10 years. My beef is with BMW. If stuff doesn't live up to standards, you have to call them out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Of course they will submit a warranty claim to BMW and bill them for labor. I’m pretty anal but calling out BMW for that is a stretch. The fit and finish on my vehicle is beyond excellent. So much better than the F30. Either way, at least they are taking care of it for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
There's no way to say if that is a BMW issue, a dealership issue, a detailer issue, a passenger issue, or even a transport issue. That's why the new vehicle warranty is there. I highly doubt any other owner will have that exact same issue. I'm fairly critical about BMW's design decisions, but they've stepped up quality recently. No manufacturing process is going to be perfect.

There's also nothing to worry about with those types of trim pieces. They're designed so that if anything breaks, it'll be the clips on the old piece being replaced. It's only when they have to start taking apart the dashboard and putting those same plastic bits back in where you might start worrying a bit. For a simple vent trim replacement? It's virtually impossible to f that up.
Appreciate 0