E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New to 335D - Where to begin?

12-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Rasz
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS

New to 335D - Where to begin?

I am seriously considering purchasing an '11 335D with 99k on the clock for $9k. I am on the precipice of closing the deal, but wanted to throw a question out to you guys in the know about these cars.

So onto my question- Can people please chime in and tell me what sort of mods are going to be needed to make this car reliable? I don't want to put more than 1 or 2k into this car directly after purchasing to bring it to a level I'm happy with.

Here's what I've surmised so far in a few days of research:

Alphabet delete - does anyone have any idea how much an indy shop might charge for this? I live in an area that does not test emissions. I'm not even sure if a shop would want to touch this but I am scared of the consequences of leaving the emissions equipment in the car. Can anyone speak to costs here or any experience with this mod?

- New downpipe w/ cat: $1,100 - Labor: ???
- Stage 2 tune - $900

Down the road maintenance
- CBU: $700 ?

Am I missing anything here? I'm starting to feel like this car may be too much of a front end investment and the savings in gas/the power might not be worth it. Can anyone maybe talk me into this? Or out of it? Haha I'm really wanting to pick people's brain about these cars. Any advice is most appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If you can’t work on this car yourself and/or don’t have or want to pay money for someone knowledgeable do the work, then Honda would be a better choice. Please also keep in mind that there are extended emission warranty up to 120k in some states. So you could run it stock. But be prepared to do cbu.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Read the sticky.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Deletes are disappearing also from some tuners.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Only anecdotal but my 2011 D has 110K miles on it. It's bone stock (except the Bilstien shocks) and has all emissions equipment intact. I keep thinking it's time to replace but it runs so good, each year I say maybe next year. The car has been extremely reliable. I'm almost embarrassed to say how little maintenance has been required. Has original hoses, belts and even coolant (going to change that soon). The repair list is short, most covered under warranty:
  • CBU cleaning and ECU software update at 54K
  • NOx sensor at 60K
  • Mass Flow Meter at 70K
  • DEF tank (usual bad temp sensor) at 75K
  • Trans drain, replace megatronic seals and refill 100K (maintenance)
  • Glow Plug controller 105K (out of extended warranty - did myself)

I do not drive the car very much now as most my trips these days are short which I try to avoid using the diesel with. If a longer trip, then it get's used.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Rasz
Rep

Thanks for everyone's input.

A BMW technician through a local dealer out here told me to stay far away from this car for the emissions reasons. He also mentioned that diesel fuel itself in America is not right for these engines. Can anyone speak to this being the case? As a bit of a diesel novice I didn't even know there was different types of diesel outside of biofuel and regular.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasz View Post
Thanks for everyone's input.

A BMW technician through a local dealer out here told me to stay far away from this car for the emissions reasons. He also mentioned that diesel fuel itself in America is not right for these engines. Can anyone speak to this being the case? As a bit of a diesel novice I didn't even know there was different types of diesel outside of biofuel and regular.
While I believe that the car might be a good value, the advice is valid. Frankly, you can keep the emissions equipment running for much less than doing a delete (in most cases). Doing a delete is IMHO just creating/looking for trouble.

As for CBU, my car didn't need it at any time during the 10 years/139K I had it.

The fuel debate has gone on forever. One thing you must consider is that you live in OR, one of the California emissions states, and the fuel is of very high quality as a result. OR (and WA) fuel has adequate lubrication properties, and a high Cetane as a result. Especially if the fuel is a bio-diesel blend. Diesel fuel properties are set by the States. The BMW tech is full of it.

Last edited by floydarogers; 12-30-2019 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: cbu
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The BMW tech is full of it.
Not really. The emissions are junk. Especially when a small piece of the whole puzzle doesnt work correctly and ...OP -Even cbu can be prevented without deletes... I'll never need cbu cleaning and yes I have all the stock components plus more.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
Rasz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Not really. The emissions are junk. Especially when a small piece of the whole puzzle doesnt work correctly and ...OP -Even cbu can be prevented without deletes... I'll never need cbu cleaning and yes I have all the stock components plus more.
What did you add to the system to help reduce CBU? Meth?

Also why would you say deletes are asking for trouble? Everything I've read suggests this car becomes significantly more reliable without the emissions stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Jones68
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d. 2004 M3

FWIW. I bought my 335d about 2 months ago 80K, one owner and meticulous maintenance records. I didn't know anything about 335d's when I test drove it...but afterwards had to have it. Then I got online, and of course ran into all the ABC XYZ stuff....got me a little worried etc. I can wrench on cars half way decently, and thanks to posts here none of the hardware mods seem to be a big deal.

My plan is to run the car as it is "stock" and then if needed I'll deal with things as they come up . If that requires a downpipe etc, I'll go that route, but for now; "if it ain't broke...."

Last edited by Jones68; 12-30-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What did you add to the system to help reduce CBU? Meth?

Also why would you say deletes are asking for trouble? Everything I've read suggests this car becomes significantly more reliable without the emissions stuff.
Yes meth... Epa. Trouble that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 335d, 335i

Quote:
I am seriously considering purchasing an '11 335D with 99k on the clock for $9k. I am on the precipice of closing the deal, but wanted to throw a question out to you guys in the know about these cars.

So onto my question- Can people please chime in and tell me what sort of mods are going to be needed to make this car reliable? I don't want to put more than 1 or 2k into this car directly after purchasing to bring it to a level I'm happy with.

Here's what I've surmised so far in a few days of research:

Alphabet delete - does anyone have any idea how much an indy shop might charge for this? I live in an area that does not test emissions. I'm not even sure if a shop would want to touch this but I am scared of the consequences of leaving the emissions equipment in the car. Can anyone speak to costs here or any experience with this mod?

- New downpipe w/ cat: $1,100 - Labor: ???
- Stage 2 tune - $900

Down the road maintenance
- CBU: $700 ?

Am I missing anything here? I'm starting to feel like this car may be too much of a front end investment and the savings in gas/the power might not be worth it. Can anyone maybe talk me into this? Or out of it? Haha I'm really wanting to pick people's brain about these cars. Any advice is most appreciated, thanks!
I will probably be the outlier here. My 335d has close to 170k miles. Bought new. No mods. Rock solid. Have never had any major issues. Engine has never been opened other than regular preventative maintenance and an occasional sensor. I also have a X5 diesel. Close to 130k miles. Same deal, solid, steady performer. If reliability is your priority a lot will depend on how the car was driven and treated. If it was a city car, forget it. If it has a lot of open highway miles, with a good driver, good tech, regular maintenance, your odds might be better.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_du_garde View Post
I will probably be the outlier here. My 335d has close to 170k miles.... If it was a city car, forget it. If it has a lot of open highway miles...it be better.
I believe the way these cars are driven means a lot to their reliability. If you read my contribution above in this thread I'm at 110K miles, stock, no issues. I also avoid using the Diesel for short trips (under 10 miles).
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_du_garde View Post
I will probably be the outlier here. My 335d has close to 170k miles.... If it was a city car, forget it. If it has a lot of open highway miles...it be better.
I believe the way these cars are driven means a lot to their reliability. If you read my contribution above in this thread I'm at 110K miles, stock, no issues. I also avoid using the Diesel for short trips (under 10 miles).
I think there are too many factors to determine how reliable these cars can be. A diesel engine needs to maintained no matter what diesel engine you have, whether or not you have emissions intact or not. If you don't change your fuel filter you can expect your fuel system to develop issues, if you let your def fluid run low you can expect to have issues with the def system, if you drive a short distance at a slow speed or are in stop and go traffic you'll regen a whole lot more which lowers turbo life and engine life from extreme heat, if you leave your egr intact and don't take care of cbu you can expect your intake tract and intercooler to suffer from lower efficiency, if you don't change your transmission fluid you can expect your transmission to being to slip, Etc.

In my line of work *Preventative Maintenance* is king. No other machine is any different. That is what determines the reliability of these cars.
      01-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
CBU cleaning and ECU software update at 54K
NOx sensor at 60K
Mass Flow Meter at 70K
DEF tank (usual bad temp sensor) at 75K
Trans drain, replace megatronic seals and refill 100K (maintenance)
Glow Plug controller 105K (out of extended warranty - did myself)
Shadowing what kbsilver said....

I did the exact same thing for my 335d, after that it's just maintain oil changes and pump gas.
  • I had my NOx sensor, SRC Tank changed under extended warranty.
  • Glow plug controller failed at 101k miles, I fixed myself.

Enjoy your purchase, don't go too crazy at the stop lights, the torque is very addicting. You'll keep wanting to floor it and feel your neck snap.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #16
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post

In my line of work *Preventative Maintenance* is king. No other machine is any different. That is what determines the reliability of these cars.
I also agree with this statement. Preventative Maintenance is key, I usually look at the parts and guesstimate if the life of the part has been achieved from my time of purchase. Such as seals, gaskets, sensors (thermostat, oil level sensor, etc).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
Jones68
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d. 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post

Enjoy your purchase, don't go too crazy at the stop lights, the torque is very addicting. You'll keep wanting to floor it and feel your neck snap.
Truth! What blows me away most; is just pushing down when going about 70 and looking down and freaking out that I'm suddenly doing 115 and it's all so quiet and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #18
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

One advantage (of many) of deleting is you don't need to worry as much, or at all, about short trips which makes it a great daily driver.
Appreciate 0