F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Idle sputter
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
cedaj
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Idle sputter

So my 328i (n26) is sputtering a bit on a cold start. It cranks right up, but the revs drop for a sec after the startup. No codes either, anyone have a clue?

The car also has a bm3 stage 2 tune and the intercooler was installed recently, but there was a boost leak so it was misfiring a few times before it was fixed. Could it be the spark plugs are fouled?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
JoeyF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i xDrive N26

I had my spark plugs, ignition coils and air filter done, anywho. Where as the boost leak? I'm approaching 127k on my N26. Mine is also stock. It also has throttle and turbo lag. 🤦*♀️
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF30 View Post
I had my spark plugs, ignition coils and air filter done, anywho. Where as the boost leak? I'm approaching 127k on my N26. Mine is also stock. It also has throttle and turbo lag. 🤦*♀️
The boost leak was at the turbo to intercooler pipe, and the turbo inlet was broken, but both were fixed. It don't want to order everything if something small like the spark plugs are the issue lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
JoeyF30
Private First Class
Rep

My car does not always lag like that, only at times. When I do the gas pedal reset it works for like, a day and that's it. My mechanic found no codes, did a smoke test and no leaks. They were puzzled because they couldn't tell what was wrong with the car. I'm out almost $500 which basically fixed nothing. I do know these cars have some adaptive learning of the transmission and throttle , my transmission jerks sometimes but not always, usually when I depress the pedal. The gas pedal at times is barely responsive at all, idk if my gas pedal is becoming more stiff or it's the placebo due to having to press down on the gas more to get her to move. Has anyone needed to replace the gas pedal module (assembly) yet on these things? Or the Throttle Position Sensor? This is becoming a headache I just want to enjoy my car...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
My car does not always lag like that, only at times. When I do the gas pedal reset it works for like, a day and that's it. My mechanic found no codes, did a smoke test and no leaks. They were puzzled because they couldn't tell what was wrong with the car. I'm out almost $500 which basically fixed nothing. I do know these cars have some adaptive learning of the transmission and throttle , my transmission jerks sometimes but not always, usually when I depress the pedal. The gas pedal at times is barely responsive at all, idk if my gas pedal is becoming more stiff or it's the placebo due to having to press down on the gas more to get her to move. Has anyone needed to replace the gas pedal module (assembly) yet on these things? Or the Throttle Position Sensor? This is becoming a headache I just want to enjoy my car...
Quote:
Bootmod3 has a learned adaptation reset which I did and it got rid of that annoying lag and sort of delay before the car went even at low speeds / inputs. My car also would sputter when starting up but soon after my fuel pump failed, I'm back on the stock tune and the car doesn't do anything like that anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
Bootmod3 has a learned adaptation reset which I did and it got rid of that annoying lag and sort of delay before the car went even at low speeds / inputs. My car also would sputter when starting up but soon after my fuel pump failed, I'm back on the stock tune and the car doesn't do anything like that anymore
Update, I got a drivetrain malfunction code when I got on it to pass someone, but no check engine light. Said injector circuit open but then disappeared 10 min later when I read the codes again
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #7
JoeyF30
Private First Class
Rep

Also an update to everyone here! Did adaptation reset and worked again... getting a BMS Pedal Tuner and calling it a day
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

What are the steps for the adaptation reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0