E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Unbelievable BMW Service :(

04-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
tikka
Rep
Drives: na

Unbelievable BMW Service :(

I brought a second hand E90 330I a few weeks ago and took it in to a BMW dealer for a fix on the stereo amp and steering column (both replaced under warrenty). Dropped the car off on Wednesday and pick it up on Friday because they had problem with the software upgrade.

When I picked it up, drove back to work which is only 10 mins away I saw the following off the front bumper.

Bottom left of front bumper

Top left of front bumper

There are some holes CUT from the bumper!!!

Drove right back to tell them about it. The service rep was busy so another rep took some photos and say my service rep will call me first thing Monday.

No call from them on Monday but I gave them some time. Wednesday comes and still no call so I called the service rep and he didnt do a thing. He just wanted me to go back down so he can see it in person.

When I got down again, he's basically saying they only replaced the steering column and stereo amp and they didnt touch the bumper. I was trying to be reasonable and asked him how can a hole be cut like that. He tried to say it could be "Vandalism" or "It might have been like that when I took the car in"

I asked for the service manager because this service rep wasnt even willing to investigate the damage. Firstly, the service manager confirmed that the bumper was not removed as they checked the mounting screws and there was not a scratch on them.

The service manager said he will go over the work done with the tech and will get back to me.

Here are my concerns:

1, If their tech for whatever reason cut those holes, surely they wont be detailing that in the job card.

2, Whats the chance the bumper was swapped out? I know BMW has datadot protection but anyone know if they datadot the bumper piece? and if so, who or how can I can the datadot?

3, If they come back and say they didnt do it, what are my options?

*more info on http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170233*
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
tikka
Rep

What really made me mad was the poor customer service from the service rep. Here part of the conversation when I took the car back:

Rep - "nah, theres no way our tech would have done that. Theres no need for them to cut hole in your bumper"

Me - "Yes i know. But have you spoken to the tech who did the job on my car and asked him if he did in fact did anything to the bumper."

Rep - "I know for sure they didnt."

Me - "so you havent spoken to him?"

Rep - "No, I know he didnt"

Me - "ok, can you give me a reason how the hole got there then? I mean the hole is on the inside so it cant have been a hit on the front bumper"

Rep - "It might have been Vandalism by some kid before you took your car in"

Me - "You're trying to tell me people would vandalise a car by cutting a hole on the front bumper FROM THE INSIDE EDGE??"

Rep - "No but you asked me for a possibility"

At that time I just asked for his manager because I could not continue with this conversion with him anymore:down:

Here are some more pics (i know the car is abit dirty)

Closeup right - arrows showing the hole

Closeup Left - notice no hole

Zoom out pic showing both side

I know for sure the hole was not there before. I mean I just spend over 90K on a car so I dont even take it to the car wash and I wash it every weekend. I cant even convince myself if if miss that big hole when washing the car. Also, its pretty obvious in daylight.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
thats is messed up.... do you have any pictures from before you brought the car to the dealership? maybe you can help prove your point that way. anyways, thats just a very odd looking whole in the bumper, i dont even know what that could be from in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

That's weird.
      04-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
aranetaj
Rep
Drives: 330i

could it be that "hole" is space for the radar thingy?

hard to resolve as this is your word against theirs.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #6
tikka
Rep

It does look like its the place for the radar(active cruise control).

I need to ask for one favour and was wondering if anyone can help. I'm starting to wonder if that piece is precut from the inside.. what I mean is its slightly precut from the inside so its easily snapped off.

Can anyone without active cruise control see if they can pop out the grill. (you just push it in) and see if you can feel around the area of the hole shown above and see if you can feel some precut lines? Much appreciate if anyone can help out
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
aussie79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Executive

sorry to hear................tikka..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
That's strange. Sorry to hear about this.

Were there crop circles near your car when you picked it up?
      04-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #9
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Strange as it may seem, i've forgot to mention that last week i saw a merc with a piece cut off at the same place. Could it be some kind of mod?
      05-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
it's weird
Appreciate 0