Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Winter tyres sorted

11-30-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Winter tyres sorted

Decided to buy some 18 inch Autec wheels from Mr Winter Wheels, and then after reading tyre reviews for several hours eventually decided to buy Continental wintercontact TS860S runflats.

Had been tempted by getting some All season tyres instead of full winter tyres, but also wanted to stick with runflats given how well the 330e rides with them. Having runflat security makes the most sense in winter in my head also.

Not that many runflat all season options, and so they seemed expensive. The Goodyear option was like £170+ compared to getting these contis for £135 at camskill. They're also star-marked, which whilst not essential to me, is better than them not being.

Everything together, including buying some new valves and fitting will come to about £1200, which isn't too bad at all.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:54 AM   #2
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Decided to buy some 18 inch Autec wheels from Mr Winter Wheels, and then after reading tyre reviews for several hours eventually decided to buy Continental wintercontact TS860S runflats.

Had been tempted by getting some All season tyres instead of full winter tyres, but also wanted to stick with runflats given how well the 330e rides with them. Having runflat security makes the most sense in winter in my head also.

Not that many runflat all season options, and so they seemed expensive. The Goodyear option was like £170+ compared to getting these contis for £135 at camskill. They're also star-marked, which whilst not essential to me, is better than them not being.

Everything together, including buying some new valves and fitting will come to about £1200, which isn't too bad at all.
Sounds like a good idea if snow and ice are an issue. My Brother in law in Germany along with most others has a set of winter wheels and tyres stored at the local tyre fitters and changed every March end and end of October. I don’t think it’s a legal obligation to have winter tyres in Germany but there are insurance implications in the event of an accident.
For my part, living in Wiltshire where snow isn’t usually an issue I’ll just stay and work from home. As a self employed guy I can’t justify £1200 for two or three days a year. All weather replacements might be worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Quote:

Sounds like a good idea if snow and ice are an issue. My Brother in law in Germany along with most others has a set of winter wheels and tyres stored at the local tyre fitters and changed every March end and end of October. I don’t think it’s a legal obligation to have winter tyres in Germany but there are insurance implications in the event of an accident.
For my part, living in Wiltshire where snow isn’t usually an issue I’ll just stay and work from home. As a self employed guy I can’t justify £1200 for two or three days a year. All weather replacements might be worth considering.
Yes has to make sense for ones own circumstances. My wife is Polish and we drive there for Christmas most years, and my family is in Scotland, so knowing that we can be mobile all through winter is important.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Yes has to make sense for ones own circumstances. My wife is Polish and we drive there for Christmas most years, and my family is in Scotland, so knowing that we can be mobile all through winter is important.
We must have done the same run (as far as Köln)over the last few years at Xmas!
My wife is from Frankfurt so we do the Calais/Liege/köln then South to Frankfurt as you carry on East.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:49 AM   #5
DaveChan64
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d m sport XDrive

Hi

Reviewing options to have tyres suitable for winter months South of England.
I cant find any all weather tyres to fit. (225/40 R19,255/35 R19) run flats. I suspect all season are not manufactured in theses sizes?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Yes I am now considering tyres, what do these cars come with?
Was hoping to get all season tyres to put on. Mine are going be 19" with runflats however.
Are runflats good for the 330e?. Do most people have winter tyres? Lots of questions....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
DaveChan64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
Yes I am now considering tyres, what do these cars come with?
Was hoping to get all season tyres to put on. Mine are going be 19" with runflats however.
Are runflats good for the 330e?. Do most people have winter tyres? Lots of questions....
Hi Rang BMWs, they only suggest summer or winter tyres, not all season. Maybe because in Germany I believe , legally must have winter tyres. I have tried to find run flat all weather for my car, with no luck. Your size could be same as mine.... no idea about whether runflats are good with 330e.. I have been using winter tyres for about 10 years but when I found Michelin cross climate, I just used them all year.... I am now investigating cost for a set of winter wheel/ tyres
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChan64 View Post
Hi Rang BMWs, they only suggest summer or winter tyres, not all season. Maybe because in Germany I believe , legally must have winter tyres. I have tried to find run flat all weather for my car, with no luck. Your size could be same as mine.... no idea about whether runflats are good with 330e.. I have been using winter tyres for about 10 years but when I found Michelin cross climate, I just used them all year.... I am now investigating cost for a set of winter wheel/ tyres
Hi there, i come from Dunstable so i know you get a bit more snow than some in S England!?
So BMW dont recommend all season because its not legal in Germany.
Are there any All seasons in our size that are not run flats?
I dont know much about tyres so just trying to plan for when my car arrives. I am not sure whether run flats are necessary or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

All season tyres are "legal" as winter tyres as they have the appropriate ratings, which you'll see as the M+S or mountain symbol on the sidewall.

I've just removed my winter tyres this weekend and was very pleased with them. Best winter tyre I've had for dry and non winters days. I would have gone for an all season tyre but wanted a star rated runflat tyre.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
DaveChan64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
Hi there, i come from Dunstable so i know you get a bit more snow than some in S England!?
So BMW dont recommend all season because its not legal in Germany.
Are there any All seasons in our size that are not run flats?
I dont know much about tyres so just trying to plan for when my car arrives. I am not sure whether run flats are necessary or not.
Hi
When asking BMW on all season tyres , they state we have summer or winter tyres.... not sure if there are all season tyres ( non runflats) in the car size. I want to keep run flats for safety.
Appreciate 0