F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Considering a 2014 328i xdrive
Studio RSR

11-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
guardians1000000
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30 328i xdrive

Considering a 2014 328i xdrive

Hi everyone im sorry if this question has been asked before as I looked and couldn't find anything. I am on the edge to purchase a used 2014 328i xdrive with 66000 kilometers on it Here in Ontario. Driven by an older lady and well maintained and taken care of. Car looks and feels practically brand new. My only concern is this timing chain issue with these engines. As i did plan on tuning it to stage 1 and it will be mostly used for highway driving. My question to you all is should i just stay away from the n20 engine at this point or is this issue a very low risk type problem. the last thing i want to do is buy the car and always have to worry about it.

Now I did talk to a local BMW dealer sales rep and he told me they can check the chain for me before i purchase the car and that as long as i have all my service records they will take care of the chain issue regardless of warranty if there is ever a problem with it. He said its a lifetime thing. but im not so sure thats accurate information because i did call BMW Canada and they said its covered under extended warranty.

Last question is also if i do plan on getting this car and BMW decided to replace the chain for me when i bring it in for inspection, does it fully fix the issue of the engine having a major engine failure problem? also is this engine a strong and reliable engine to tune without the chain problem or are there more issue i should be concerned with.

Sorry for the long rant. and i appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
MPSdriver
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

I vote to stay away, but then again I'm biased

I drive an EU-spec 2013 328xi. Well actually I've been hardly driving it because it's been in and out of the dealer for the past six months now and it's currently residing there

Car drove fine up to 117k km, like a charm actually. It's a company car so it has been serviced on time and I didn't drive it hard at all, the occasional spirited drive home after she'd warmed up.
  • At 117k km the transmission (manual) failed, it wouldn't go into reverse any longer. So the entire transmission had to be replaced with BMW covering 50% of the parts cost.
  • At 119k km the Xdrive transfer case broke. It had to be replaced with BMW covering 50% of the parts cost.
  • At 124k km I got the well-known high pitched whining chainsaw noise. The dealer diagnosed it as faulty timing chaing and oil pump drive chain. Before I got the opportunity to get the car fixed it threw a CEL (orange). The dealer diagnosed it as an oil leak on the exhaust side of the turbocharger. I had both chains and the turbo replaced with BMW covering none of the costs.
  • At 127k km... three days after I got the car back it throws a CEL (red) for low oil pressure. The car gets towed to the dealer. Dealer states that the CEL is unrelated to previous repairs. They've found metal shavings in the oil. In order to diagnose further they need to open up the engine and want my permission... currently assessing what to do next.

So... you might luck out on a 2014 328xi, but I wouldn't purchase this car/drivetrain combo, definitely not without some serious extended warranty!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardians1000000 View Post
Hi everyone im sorry if this question has been asked before as I looked and couldn't find anything. I am on the edge to purchase a used 2014 328i xdrive with 66000 kilometers on it Here in Ontario. Driven by an older lady and well maintained and taken care of. Car looks and feels practically brand new. My only concern is this timing chain issue with these engines. As i did plan on tuning it to stage 1 and it will be mostly used for highway driving. My question to you all is should i just stay away from the n20 engine at this point or is this issue a very low risk type problem. the last thing i want to do is buy the car and always have to worry about it.

Now I did talk to a local BMW dealer sales rep and he told me they can check the chain for me before i purchase the car and that as long as i have all my service records they will take care of the chain issue regardless of warranty if there is ever a problem with it. He said its a lifetime thing. but im not so sure thats accurate information because i did call BMW Canada and they said its covered under extended warranty.

Last question is also if i do plan on getting this car and BMW decided to replace the chain for me when i bring it in for inspection, does it fully fix the issue of the engine having a major engine failure problem? also is this engine a strong and reliable engine to tune without the chain problem or are there more issue i should be concerned with.

Sorry for the long rant. and i appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer, thank you.
Good that the dealer will do a pre purchase inspection, however, I’m not too familiar with Canada’s policy regarding the timing chain warranty. There are members here with over 100k miles with the original chain/guides (built before 03/2015 when they were revised) and some have failed just outside of the warranty period for US markets. From my experience I’m on my 3rd N2x:

Owned a new 2013 328i (N26) and around 30k miles I had the symptoms. Was going to have it checked out but traded the car in for a 09 335i.

Purchased a 2015 CPO 320i earlier this year (03/2015 production) so it had the updated chain/guides. Great car until someone smashed into me, totaled the car.

Mid October purchased a replacement, a 2015 428 GC (01/2015 production). Knowing it most likely had the chain/guide issues (before I assumed 01/2015 and on production were ok) i purchased a extended warranty through CarMax but was still within the BMW warranty. Even though the N20 had no symptoms they still performed the warranty work earlier this week.

Aside from the TC/guides, I’m confident about the n20/n26’s. Spark plugs should be changed out every 50k miles (that’s what I read) and the oil should be changed out at most every 8k miles. Does this particular car have the options you want?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
guardians1000000
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Good that the dealer will do a pre purchase inspection, however, I’m not too familiar with Canada’s policy regarding the timing chain warranty. There are members here with over 100k miles with the original chain/guides (built before 03/2015 when they were revised) and some have failed just outside of the warranty period for US markets. From my experience I’m on my 3rd N2x:

Owned a new 2013 328i (N26) and around 30k miles I had the symptoms. Was going to have it checked out but traded the car in for a 09 335i.

Purchased a 2015 CPO 320i earlier this year (03/2015 production) so it had the updated chain/guides. Great car until someone smashed into me, totaled the car.

Mid October purchased a replacement, a 2015 428 GC (01/2015 production). Knowing it most likely had the chain/guide issues (before I assumed 01/2015 and on production were ok) i purchased a extended warranty through CarMax but was still within the BMW warranty. Even though the N20 had no symptoms they still performed the warranty work earlier this week.

Aside from the TC/guides, I’m confident about the n20/n26’s. Spark plugs should be changed out every 50k miles (that’s what I read) and the oil should be changed out at most every 8k miles. Does this particular car have the options that you want?
Yes it has everything in it. I just dont think its worth the worry at this point. the other cars i was looking at was a benz cla 250 and a VW golf 1.8t
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Yes it has everything in it. I just dont think its worth the worry at this point. the other cars i was looking at was a benz cla 250 and a VW golf 1.8t
I’ve driven a cla 250 before and that interior is so cramped IMHO. Looks like you have made your decision.

GL. Pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

So the dealer told you the chain is covered. Then BMW Canada told you the chain is covered. So why are you not sure?
Appreciate 0