F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine oil notification. "unable to determine status"??
Extreme Powerhouse

11-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i M-Sport

Engine oil notification. "unable to determine status"??

I have a 2017 330i, b46 engine.

Car was running fine with JB+, MST intake, burger baffle oil can, FTP chargepipe, and Remus axle back quad exhaust.

It's at 40k now, just added ER catless downpipe and BM3 stage 1.

and now... I'm getting this message from Idrive which I cannot delete.

...what do I do???

when I run the check oil level it shows it at max.

anyone can help me out? is it because I never changed my spark plugs? is that idrive message something I should be worrying about?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDDYF30 View Post

Car was running fine with JB+, MST intake, burger baffle oil can, FTP chargepipe, and Remus axle back quad exhaust.

...what do I do???

anyone can help me out? is it because I never changed my spark plugs? is that idrive message something I should be worrying about?
Probably the sensor but I sure as hell would be worried about it fast if you do not want to essentially have your car totaled out (and I do not mean covered by Insurance or Warranty either).
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 02:31 AM   #3
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

...what do I do???

Probably the sensor but I sure as hell would be worried about it fast if you do not want to essentially have your car totaled out (and I do not mean covered by Insurance or Warranty either).
darnnn... can I drive like 15 miles on eco pro at-a-time for this holiday weekend? or should I just uber it for now? the shop I go to will open Monday.

Really hope it's just the sensor. I just had an oil change less than 2 weeks ago... was thinking about them spark plugs though

My bmw app shows says to schedule an appointment for an oil change, since 40k or November 2020 is coming up... Doesn't make sense because my car is over 40k (just had oil change and all notification removed) and it's November 2019. This is so confusing...

I'll remove JB+ for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...what do I do???

darnnn... can I drive like 15 miles on eco pro at-a-time for this holiday weekend? or should I just uber it for now? the shop I go to will open Monday.

Really hope it's just the sensor. I just had an oil change l less than 2 weeks ago... was thinking about them spark plugs though

My bmw app shows says to schedule an appointment for an oil change since 40k or November 2020 is coming up Doesn't make sense cuz my car is over 40k and it's November 2019. This is so confusing...

I'll remove JB+ for now.
Your CBS was most likely reset for 12 months to November 2020.

That you just had your oil changed is another warning that they might have screwed something up that could be very bad.

But lots of luck proving it.

If engine goes now, it's on you as you continued to drive car after you received warning. And that's certainly recorded and time stamped in the electronics now.

So you judge your level of risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:41 AM   #5
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...what do I do???

Really hope it's just the sensor. I just had an oil change l less than 2 weeks ago... was thinking about them spark plugs though

My bmw app shows says to schedule an appointment for an oil change since 40k or November 2020 is coming up Doesn't make sense cuz my car is over 40k and it's November 2019. This is so confusing...

I'll remove JB+ for now.

That you just had your oil changed is another warning that they might have screwed something up that could be very bad.

If engine goes now, it's on you as you continued to drive car after you received warning.

I guess that warning is really bad then. I'll leave it in the garage for now and hopefully it can make it 20 miles to the shop for a full diagnose.

thanks for the heads up.

Can't believe one oil change and a downpipe and bm3 stage 1 can cause all this...

should I just flash to stock for now then? maybe to make the trip to the shop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...what do I do???

I'll remove JB+ for now.

If engine goes now, it's on you as you continued to drive car after you received warning.

I guess that warning is really bad then. I'll leave it in the garage for now and hopefully it can make it 20 miles to the shop for a full diagnose.

thanks for the heads up.

Can't believe one oil change and a downpipe and bm3 stage 1 can cause all this...

Why?

Plenty of stories about blown engines after some minimum wage workers at quick lube places forget to put in oil filter, cap or other error and car loses all oil.

And of course all flashes should be off car when taking to Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #7
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...what do I do???

I'll remove JB+ for now.

thanks for the heads up.

Why?

Plenty of stories about blown engines after some minimum wage workers at quick lube places forget to put in oil filter, cap or other error and car loses all oil.

It would be so embarrassing for this shop if that is the case...it's a highly reputable shop, recommended through bimmerpost . Maybe they weren't used to seeing a 4 banger?? who knows

I think I'll take off JB+ and flash back to stock for now then. I'm like literally scared to drive the car now ... but dont have money to tow it to a shop...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:04 AM   #8
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...what do I do???

I'll remove JB+ for now.

thanks for the heads up.

Why?

It would be so embarrassing for this shop if that is the case...it's a highly reputable shop, recommended through bimmerpost . Maybe they weren't used to seeing a 4 banger?? who knows

I think I'll take off JB+ and flash back to stock for now then. I'm like literally scared to drive the car now ... but dont have money to tow it to a shop...
okay.

scheduled appointment with dealer for Friday. man I hope they go easy with my after market stuff...I live in Cali...

Hope they don't mind too much about the Remus axle back, MST intake, chargepipe, baffle oil can, annnnnddd the catless downpipe...

just need my car diagnosed... oh man I'm getting nervous...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

Catless dp honestly should be switched if you have time....
It's a 2017? Doesn't bmw 3 years or some of towing or road side assistance ???

If not do you have towing through your insurance? Or any of your friends? If they are AAA members as long as they were with you "in" the car they will tow the vehicle for free. Done this before for my buddies Jeep .

I agree with the others that I would not drive the car if it can't determine engine oil lol.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Found a pic of it!

Found a pic of the road side assistance stuff !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Says 4 years from original in service date and six years if bought cpo should be close ????
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:

Really hope it's just the sensor. I just had an oil change less than 2 weeks ago... was thinking about them spark plugs though
Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts but who changed the oil? Dealer or independent shop?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post
Says 4 years from original in service date and six years if bought cpo should be close ????
Thanks! I realized my insurance has road side assistance, so I'll be calling them up Friday morning.

I'm just kinda worried since I did drive like 20 miles with the warning on last night to get home.

I'm going to see if I can get towed to a shop to get get my factory downpipe back in and get it towed to a dealer.

Thanks for the lookout. and Happy Thanksgiving
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:

Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts but who changed the oil? Dealer or independent shop?
the shop did, my warranty ended.

strange how it was done 2 weeks ago though with liquidmoly and my car was running great

message showed up just yesterday after ER catless DP and BM3 S1 install
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:

strange how it was done 2 weeks ago though with liquidmoly and my car was running great

Any chance that whoever installed the DP accidentally did something to the oil level sensor wiring?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Quote:

Any chance that whoever installed the DP accidentally did something to the oil level sensor wiring?
hmmm... maybe
I'll ask.

But when I run the check oil engine level, it reads out just under max level. Doesn't that mean the oil level sensor is working?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #17
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Also, it's a bit strange BMW connected app now shows a reminder to change my engine oil for upcoming 40k miles or 11/20 starting yesterday.

but my car says I need to service for engine oil in 20k miles...

Can something gone wrong with the tune? when removing cold start from BM3. Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
hmmm... maybe
I'll ask.

But when I run the check oil engine level, it reads out just under max level. Doesn't that mean the oil level sensor is working?
I agree, the sensor must be working. I found one somewhat similar discussion and that implies this message is indeed related just to the service interval being corrupted instead of having anything to do with engine oil level.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=731188
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:

...what do I do???

The issue that I had was not able to measure the oil level or in active something I found that a rat ate the oil sensor wiring.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #20
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
Quote:

...what do I do???

The issue that I had was not able to measure the oil level or in active something I found that a rat ate the oil sensor wiring.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I guess my engine (B46/B48 engine) is still under Beta for PTF in Cali. PTF diagnosed and fixed the computer error.

Now, my Idrive and BMW connected app is showing the correct engine oil change mile/date reminder. That strange "unable to determine status" has been removed.

Car is running perfect now! (took off JB+ I guess anyone who wants to buy it off me just PM me, don't need it no more... used it for like maybe 10k miles)

Can't wait for stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #21
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:

I guess my engine (B46/B48 engine) is still under Beta for PTF in Cali. PTF diagnosed and fixed the computer error.

Now, my Idrive and BMW connected app is showing the correct engine oil change mile/date reminder. That strange "unable to determine status" has been removed.

Car is running perfect now! (took off JB+ I guess anyone who wants to buy it off me just PM me, don't need it no more... used it for like maybe 10k miles)

Can't wait for stage 2.
Stop scaring us....pew thank good that was sorted out
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #22
CEDDYF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
Quote:

...what do I do???

Can't wait for stage 2.
lol bro... my bad, I was starting to get scared too.

But cheers, on to the next mod
Appreciate 0