F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dreaded 75K service
proTUNING Freaks

11-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Dreaded 75K service

Hey guys--

Just a quick PSA

The other day I had my:
  • water pump/thermostat
  • Coolant hoses
  • Accessory Belts
  • OHFG (both)

changed out.

I must say, all of these were hurt beyond belief--if you are a higher mileage car, I would check all of these, as the hoses get VERY brittle (like crumb cake in your mouth crumbly), the water pump/thermo gets very touchy at that mileage; and thus reduces power-I must say, power is back now! The belts, oh man-click click click sound and it was a little shaky (due to the oil leak from the gaskets). Last thing you want is your engine eating your belt before all the options for the HPFP come out!

There are ways to check how your water pump is functioning through checking the shadow codes in your car. Also, there is a correlation if your oil is not heating up quick, a reduction in power etc.

Just a PSA to check your car's vital organs

-Mike

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 5
      11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Ugh
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

+1

Did you by chance change the belt tensioner as well or had that already been done?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
+1

Did you by chance change the belt tensioner as well or had that already been done?
Did that too!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3606.00
      11-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

If you didn't/haven't done Valve Cover Gasket or Oil Pan Gasket get ready for those soon too ! Just changed the lightly leaking VCG on my 2015 60k N55 and I believe there's a slight leak at oil pan gasket too, but not rushing to that since I can't DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
Hey guys--

Just a quick PSA

The other day I had my:
  • water pump/thermostat
  • Coolant hoses
  • Accessory Belts
  • OHFG (both)

changed out.

I must say, all of these were hurt beyond belief--if you are a higher mileage car, I would check all of these, as the hoses get VERY brittle (like crumb cake in your mouth crumbly), the water pump/thermo gets very touchy at that mileage; and thus reduces power-I must say, power is back now! The belts, oh man-click click click sound and it was a little shaky (due to the oil leak from the gaskets). Last thing you want is your engine eating your belt before all the options for the HPFP come out!

There are ways to check how your water pump is functioning through checking the shadow codes in your car. Also, there is a correlation if your oil is not heating up quick, a reduction in power etc.

-Mike
Thanks for sharing! What year, model, engine, mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Thanks for sharing! What year, model, engine, mileage?
2013, N55 PWG stage 2 tuned, 335xi, just hit 76K

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Hey guys--

Just a quick PSA

The other day I had my:
  • water pump/thermostat
  • Coolant hoses
  • Accessory Belts
  • OHFG (both)

changed out.

-Mike
Who did you have do the work?
      11-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys--

Just a quick PSA

The other day I had my:
  • water pump/thermostat
  • Coolant hoses
  • Accessory Belts
  • OHFG (both)

changed out.

-Mike
Who did you have do the work?
This place called tuning works by me.

They did it in one day, all day. They're legit!

Parts and labor came out to $2100.00

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

This is so true! I’m at 80K and my upper radiator hose going to the expansion tank just broke and sprayed coolant everywhere. The car was out of commission until I got a new one.

Don’t wait until they break, be proactive because when it happens on the road it sux!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys--

Just a quick PSA

The other day I had my:
  • water pump/thermostat
  • Coolant hoses
  • Accessory Belts
  • OHFG (both)

changed out.

-Mike
Please let me know how to do this. Also can you give a break down of parts to labor cost? I'm pretty sure I can diy most of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:51 AM   #12
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Is it weird that I'm at 123k+ and haven't touched or had an issue with my water pump/thermostat yet? (Knock on wood). Basically same spec except RWD...N55 PWG auto. I did do the serpentine belt/tensioner/idler pulley, VCG, and both OFHGs. I think I'm due for plugs again.

On a separate note, battery still seems to be fine as well. I wonder if being a California car has anything to do with it.
      11-25-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

sounds like a temp/part of the world thing.

my hoses, water pump are ok in the UK.

though I've had the transmission,diff and antifreeze done!

85k miles 2014 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Posts like these scare me. My 435i has been nothing but reliable for the past 20-25k mi I've owned it. But then again, I expected reliability to be much worse before buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Please let me know how to do this. Also can you give a break down of parts to labor cost? I'm pretty sure I can diy most of this.
it was 1100 for all the parts and 1091 for the labor.
Water pump and thermostat was about $850 of that labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Is it weird that I'm at 123k+ and haven't touched or had an issue with my water pump/thermostat yet? (Knock on wood). Basically same spec except RWD...N55 PWG auto. I did do the serpentine belt/tensioner/idler pulley, VCG, and both OFHGs. I think I'm due for plugs again.

On a separate note, battery still seems to be fine as well. I wonder if being a California car has anything to do with it.
Could be! I just wanted to stay ontop of things because I'm driving to baltimore this saturday and just in case they did go...didnt want them to happen there! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Posts like these scare me. My 435i has been nothing but reliable for the past 20-25k mi I've owned it. But then again, I expected reliability to be much worse before buying the car.
Things stay reliable when you stay on top of them! I didnt have to change any of these things, I just thought it was a good time to do it!

Appreciate 0