F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transmission overheated - Bootmod3?
GetBMWParts

11-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Transmission overheated - Bootmod3?

Hi,

My 2013 328i recently started to throw a random error, it has now ocurred 3 times with several days apart.

(Gearbox: ZHP 8HP45 auto)

The car has got Bootmod3 stage 1 i was running the gearbox tune stage 1 from Bootmod3 aswell. But since i discovered some shift points were a bit off i decided to switch back to stock gearbox tune. about a month later i get the error message for the first time

"Transmission overheated, stop as soon as possible and contact BMW service"

i stopped and waited, took a couple of minutes then the error dissappeared, only to come back a few days later.

The oil and filter was changed in august by a local BMW service mechanic that i personally know so i was there for the whole procedure and it was done exactly as stated in the official service instructions.

i checked for faults with my computer, but there are none stored.

the car seems to shift fine and i don't notice any jerking or slipping. This is my daily and i use it to get to work and home, no extreme amounts of aggressive driving or racing

should i be worried?

will try to log the trans temp with bootmod3 if possible

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

It might be helpful to specify what parts/oil were used for your fluid change on the trans. Also, the steps he took to perform the change. While you may trust him, it is possible he made a mistake.

Also, IIRC...the "stock" trans tune is actually that of the N55. It doesn't actually make a backup of YOUR stock trans. So shift points, adaptations etc may perform differently with the different power band of the n20.

I made the mistake of flashing the trans with BM3. While flashed, it was mostly fine. Some odd downshifts occasionally but no big deal. I decided to return it to "stock" flash and immediately noticed the car did not like it. Started getting severe jerky shifts, bogging etc. Drove like this for about 100 miles to ensure it didn't just need to adapt a bit. Flashed back to the bm3 flash and it's been fine. So I'm kind of stuck with the bm3 tune for now.
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Why u running the trans tune.. are you hitting torque limits?
Overheated trannies = more frequent trans oil changes else unit damage
heat is a major enemy of the trans oil
trans oil changes = lots of time and $$$
I would reset adaptations and go back to stock if possible on the trans tune
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Flash doesn't just increase torque limits, it increases clamping force, shift points and shift speed.

These trans should be serviced about every 70k miles. Lets say the flash reduces that to 50k. Thats MAYBE one more oil/filter change in the lifetime of the vehicle. So about $100 more over the course of it's existence (or $500 if you don't want to DIY).
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      11-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
Flash doesn't just increase torque limits, it increases clamping force, shift points and shift speed.

These trans should be serviced about every 70k miles. Lets say the flash reduces that to 50k. Thats MAYBE one more oil/filter change in the lifetime of the vehicle. So about $100 more over the course of it's existence (or $500 if you don't want to DIY).
Lol $500 would be a hell of a deal for the trans service. That is around what Bosch quoted me for aftermarket fluid service. Oem Fluid/pan/filter/labor was around $800.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Quote:

I made the mistake of flashing the trans with BM3. While flashed, it was mostly fine. Some odd downshifts occasionally but no big deal. I decided to return it to "stock" flash and immediately noticed the car did not like it. Started getting severe jerky shifts, bogging etc. Drove like this for about 100 miles to ensure it didn't just need to adapt a bit. Flashed back to the bm3 flash and it's been fine. So I'm kind of stuck with the bm3 tune for now.
This is messed up. Did you send a note to PTF and see what they say? I clearly made a mistake of tuning the trans flash as well. I want to go back but I guess there is no going back??

EDIT: The above info is not correct. I contacted PTF and they said the following:

Thanks for reaching out.

Our transmission tune is also compatible with your N26.

Stock Factory Tune is automatically created for the vehicle upon activating the license, so by flashing back to stock it will flash to your actual stock trans settings. This is a standard procedure when taking your vehicle in for maintenance/service, and you should not have any issues, just make sure the vehicle is flashed back to stock.

Last edited by GreenF30N26; 11-22-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

No, they copy pasted the info from DCT side.

The trans tune is only use to remove tq limits, it does not increase shift speed or any of that.

Only a true transmission flash like xhp does that.
      11-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
It might be helpful to specify what parts/oil were used for your fluid change on the trans. Also, the steps he took to perform the change. While you may trust him, it is possible he made a mistake.

Also, IIRC...the "stock" trans tune is actually that of the N55. It doesn't actually make a backup of YOUR stock trans. So shift points, adaptations etc may perform differently with the different power band of the n20.

They fixed this recently so try flashing stock again and you'll get the correct file for the n20. I had the same issue as you and flash stock again a couple weeks ago and it feels like the n20 tune again. Shift points and downshifts are on point and no more laziness.
      11-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I have now run some tests trying to trigger the fault, and it appears that the car throws the error when start/stop activates and the engine stops. While testing this I was logging the trans oil temp and transmission overall temp and not once did the temp go above 72-73 degrees Celsius, not even when the fault was triggered. I've contacted PTF and supplied them with all info. Dzenan is saying this is maybe caused by the software in the EGS computer being outdated and it needs to be updated.

I have no idea how to do this though!

Edit: ok, so now I have reset the transmission computer using ISTA and then I discovered that the VO-coding file was corrupted so I reprogrammed it from a backup file using BimmerCode, and now I am nolonger able to reproduce the fault, fingers crossed!

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
flash stock again a couple weeks ago and it feels like the n20 tune again. Shift points and downshifts are on point and no more laziness.
So are the majority of people here preferring the stock trans or the bm3 trans flash?

Whichever is easier on the car while running the tune - thats the trans I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

i just went out for a long ride, pushed the car pretty hard in sport mode.

The transmission oil temp peaked at 93°C and the transmission temp peaked at 75°C

and am still not able to get the car to throw the fault code, so i am hoping it is fixed now.

we will see after next week of commuting

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post

What??? So now the trans flash is a bad idea??

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I don't have problems with mine. Actually I flash back to stock before my scheduled service and when I flash back to BM3 TF, the shifting got alot better. I guess they updated. But I don't see a version # on the flash.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #14
spirit3d88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

Buy XHP flashtool I have it in my 28i and it is 1,000 times better than BM3 transmission, since it is a reprogramming for the customized gearbox.

Each driving mode has a form of change and the change points are different, in comfort you can hardly notice the changes of how soft they are, in normal sport, it is much faster than comfort but without becoming annoying and SPORT + in Stage 3 .... you just have to try it to be able to talk, it is brutal what has improved the car. BM3 + XHP Stage 3 = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #15
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit3d88 View Post
Buy XHP flashtool I have it in my 28i and it is 1,000 times better than BM3 transmission, since it is a reprogramming for the customized gearbox.

Each driving mode has a form of change and the change points are different, in comfort you can hardly notice the changes of how soft they are, in normal sport, it is much faster than comfort but without becoming annoying and SPORT + in Stage 3 .... you just have to try it to be able to talk, it is brutal what has improved the car. BM3 + XHP Stage 3 = Perfection
BMW original transmission map/ programming is already excellent. The shift points on sport and sport+ are on point, it downshift at the right moment when you need it. I don't think it need changing.

To me BM3 just made the transmission crispy and as people said remove torque limiter( I don't know what this is because I'm on a 4 cyclinder). There is no delays on upshift and downshift on manual mode.

I bet xHP flashtool is really good, probably with a n55 or B58 or even an M3/M4 but for a N20/26, I'll save my money.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^i was thinking the same thing

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
spirit3d88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
BMW original transmission map/ programming is already excellent. The shift points on sport and sport+ are on point, it downshift at the right moment when you need it. I don't think it need changing.

To me BM3 just made the transmission crispy and as people said remove torque limiter( I don't know what this is because I'm on a 4 cyclinder). There is no delays on upshift and downshift on manual mode.

I bet xHP flashtool is really good, probably with a n55 or B58 or even an M3/M4 but for a N20/26, I'll save my money.
XHP flashtool, lets keep the original change points if you want, it is simply to activate a box for that to happen, that is the option of each person.

I give my opinion.

The option given by BM3, is simply the programming of the M235i gearbox, is nothing else, and is also associated with 35i change points, not those of the 28i.

Here I leave you a part of a conversation I had with Halim where he told me the problem I had with the transmission that had to accelerate more than 87% of the pedal so that it reduced from 6th gear to 5th gear and the car just drowned and always tried to be in higher gears.

Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #18
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
No, they copy pasted the info from DCT side.

The trans tune is only use to remove tq limits, it does not increase shift speed or any of that.

Only a true transmission flash like xhp does that.

While I concede that clamping force likely doesn't apply to our transmission, the other two points absolutely do. There is a stark difference before/after. On the n20, you would notice nothing if only tq limits were being increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green33 View Post
This is messed up. Did you send a note to PTF and see what they say? I clearly made a mistake of tuning the trans flash as well. I want to go back but I guess there is no going back??

EDIT: The above info is not correct. I contacted PTF and they said the following:

Thanks for reaching out.

Our transmission tune is also compatible with your N26.

Stock Factory Tune is automatically created for the vehicle upon activating the license, so by flashing back to stock it will flash to your actual stock trans settings. This is a standard procedure when taking your vehicle in for maintenance/service, and you should not have any issues, just make sure the vehicle is flashed back to stock.
Well, as you can see by spirit3d88 post...there is conflicting information. In the past, I have had someone from PTF (not halim of dzenan) claim one thing to be later corrected by Dzenan. So either the person who responded from PTF is incorrect, or they fixed this as andino stated. Personally, I still experienced issues when flashing back to "stock" map.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
What??? So now the trans flash is a bad idea??
No, it is not. All things considered, it doesn't change what the transmission does all that much. All it does it make the shifts a bit snappier, not nearly enough to do any harm to the transmission.
      12-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #20
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

To start with I don't know if there is an updated Transflash from BM3.

I flash back to stock as I have a dealer appointment, when I flash back my BM3 and transflash, it seem a lot better than the previous original I did back in May. I don't if PTF did an update... can someone verify this. Or is it just placebo because I went back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #21
spirit3d88
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, he made an update for the N20, because the previous file was the OEM of the N55.

It is easy to test, if the car in Sport + and manual mode at about 2,600 rpms you change gears to a 60% pedal and there are farts in the exhaust, the file is from the N55.

If the farts of the change makes them at approximately 4,000rpms it is the file of the N20.

It is the best check.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:54 AM   #22
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

nice test

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.