F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 330e
GetBMWParts

11-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi guys

Just got myself a 2016 330e to replace my daily driver which was an Alfa 159.

My commute to work is 10miles each way with a charger at my office.

I don't have off street parking at home but I am able to use an extension cord and plug it in anyway.

It was a mission trying to find the one I wanted. All the ones I saw didn't have electrical adjustable seats.

This one has them BUT no heated seats. Was gutted. However the dealer knocked off £500. And then I figured out the climatisation and realised why it didn't come with heated seats.

It's Mineral Grey.
Heads up display.
Reversing cam
20" some sort of BMW wheels with brand new rubber.
Pro Nav
Electric Memory seats.
LED Lights
Assisted main beam

Currently gives me about 15miles from a full charge.

The first mod I did was to change the front grill from the standard silver to the gloss black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AntF32446.50
      11-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #2
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Nice. Those wheels are growing on me, although think I'm going to opt for the M4 rims.
Amazing how much difference the piano black grilles make. The F30 just looks so much older with the standard finish.

You happy with the performance? Was tempted by a 330e myself, but no off street parking either and had visions of getting sued after some poor schmuck goes flying on the cable!
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-21-2019, 04:46 AM   #3
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Nice. Those wheels are growing on me, although think I'm going to opt for the M4 rims.
Amazing how much difference the piano black grilles make. The F30 just looks so much older with the standard finish.

You happy with the performance? Was tempted by a 330e myself, but no off street parking either and had visions of getting sued after some poor schmuck goes flying on the cable!
Thanks buddy. It does look gorgeous.

Performance wise I was surprised. My other car is an E93 M3. So was thinking this is gonna move like a truck in comparison.
But I was immensely surprised with the pick up.

The battery charge shows as 14 or 15miles from a full charge.
This drops instantly as soon as I turn the heating on. Which makes sense as it's using the auxiliary heating and not the warmth from the engine.

I drive normally. Keep up with traffic etc. My journey is all A/B roads so speed doesn't exceed 40mph. This gets me to work with about 3-4miles to spare where I can plug it in.

Like I said, I don't have off street parking, so my biggest headache is finding a spot outside my house. If I do find a spot and surprisingly for the week I've had it, I've managed to mark outside my house, run a cable from the house and plug it in. Lol.

I'm sort of near the end of the terrace, so not many pedestrians head that way. In fact maybe no one.
But I did get myself a cable protector which will stop anyone from tripping over it.

Then again, it's only plugged in for 3.5hrs.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Enjoy it. I had a 2016 330e but I had continuous battery issues and ended up selling it back to BMW. I replaced it with a 530e that has been rock solid.

I think my problems were unique and you will likely not have any problems with yours. One of the reasons I went to a 5 series was I really disliked the Dakota interior on the 330e and BMW didn't offer a Nappa or Merino alternative. On my 530e I got the Nappa leather upholstery and it is a world of difference.

My advice is to drive it like you hate it. Otherwise, why buy a BMW. What I do is do local driving in pure electric mode to protect the environment (my concern) but when on an open road, I drive in regular auto mode and give the car some exercise.
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Enjoy it. I had a 2016 330e but I had continuous battery issues and ended up selling it back to BMW. I replaced it with a 530e that has been rock solid.

I think my problems were unique and you will likely not have any problems with yours. One of the reasons I went to a 5 series was I really disliked the Dakota interior on the 330e and BMW didn't offer a Nappa or Merino alternative. On my 530e I got the Nappa leather upholstery and it is a world of difference.

My advice is to drive it like you hate it. Otherwise, why buy a BMW. What I do is do local driving in pure electric mode to protect the environment (my concern) but when on an open road, I drive in regular auto mode and give the car some exercise.
Thanks matey.

I also wanted a 530e. But slightly outa my price range for now. Maybe next year.

My colleague picked up a 530e on a 2017 reg. absolutely stunning! Especially the digital speedo. Wow!!
Also has the touch enabled Idrive.

I drive it nice and easy all the time. to balance out the time when I pull out the M3.

1 week of granny driving the 330e is equivalent to 30min of hammering the M3 in regards to protecting the environment. Lol.

If you don't mind me asking what range were you getting from the battery? Or was that the issues you were having with the battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashm3_uk View Post
Thanks matey.

I also wanted a 530e. But slightly outa my price range for now. Maybe next year.

My colleague picked up a 530e on a 2017 reg. absolutely stunning! Especially the digital speedo. Wow!!
Also has the touch enabled Idrive.

I drive it nice and easy all the time. to balance out the time when I pull out the M3.

1 week of granny driving the 330e is equivalent to 30min of hammering the M3 in regards to protecting the environment. Lol.

If you don't mind me asking what range were you getting from the battery? Or was that the issues you were having with the battery?
Mine usually shows a range of 18- 20 miles, and I usually get around 20-22. Your range will improve as you learn to hypermile. It all depends on the type of drive you have and the terrain.

So far mine has been the most trouble free car I've owned, and I like the fact I only go to the gas station once every three months or so.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

When you drive it like you hate it, the mileage drops like a Dodge Ram. And it's hard to recover, especially if you calculate the overall like I do in fuely.com.

This tank, I'm at near 113 mpg because I haven't went into sport mode yet. On the open road, I burn the battery down, go into save mode, recharge, and repeat. There I average only about 41 mpg. Which dropped my overall since new to 70 mpg.

In auto, my ICE will start on the steep hill in my area. You have to know your drive to prevent that. Sometimes I can go a week before my engine ever starts.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #8
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Congrats, nice car! Bootmod3 next, soon you'll be neck and neck with your M3.
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-23-2019, 03:15 AM   #9
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Congrats, nice car! Bootmod3 next, soon you'll be neck and neck with your M3.
No idea what the BootMod is....
google, here I come. lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #10
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tuning/remap, supports both your 330e and your M3

I'm at 340hk/600nm on my 330e.

protuningfreaks.com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #11
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Tuning/remap, supports both your 330e and your M3

I'm at 340hk/600nm on my 330e.

protuningfreaks.com
Wooow!!! That's awesome.

I was thinking of getting the M Performance interior as my 2nd mod (1st being the kidney grills I did the same day of getting it).

But I think I'll do the remap!

Cheers bud!

I may be back with some questions... lol.
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50
      11-23-2019, 04:16 AM   #12
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Regarding tuning/remap do some research on the options, local BMW forum here has pictures of broken pistons of a remapped 330e and rumors that there are many more out there.
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #13
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Regarding tuning/remap do some research on the options, local BMW forum here has pictures of broken pistons of a remapped 330e and rumors that there are many more out there.
It's the same engine as in 320i (B48), so it's a relatively well tested platform at this point. But yes - choosing something reputable and also not tuning it to 1000hp without expecting anything to fall off is of course good advice
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      11-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #14
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
It's the same engine as in 320i (B48), so it's a relatively well tested platform at this point. But yes - choosing something reputable and also not tuning it to 1000hp without expecting anything to fall off is of course good advice
Yes that is what I meant - do not choose the chip tuning product based on what its marketing material says, do some research if there has been issues with some product more than others.
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50
      11-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Thanks bro.
As I have an M3, not to fussed about the tuning of the 330e, yet. Lol

I think I'm going to attempt the SLI activation first.
I don't have the kafas2 camera. (Well at least I don't think i have) so will try the emulator route.

Just got my esys cable, attempting to install the software now.
Appreciate 0