F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Retrofitting missing options
proTUNING Freaks

11-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
jholder
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 || 99 MCoupe

Retrofitting missing options

This is sort of a broad question so I figured this is the best place to put it.
I've finally decided to pick up a new vehicle, and have been focusing on a '16 340i. After doing some research, there are very specific options (paint, interior, packages) that I've been looking for. However I haven't had much luck finding the "one". There are several that come very close, but just don't seem to have everything. I'm looking for a 16, 340i, EB2, saddle brown interior with M-Sport, track package, technology package, and the adaptive LED headlights.

Most of the cars I've seen come really close but either the interior color is wrong (black), or everything else is right, but missing the track package. (Though one in particular does have but the larger brakes and variable steering).

So my question is, it looks like an interior swap would run around 2k'ish depending on circumstances, but in the case of the car missing the track package, I'm not sure of the costs for upgrading the brakes, or even if the VSS is possible to be added after the fact.

So the real question is, what would be involved in the upgrading the brakes, and is VSS even possible to retrofit.

I suppose a more generalized question is.. in your opinion, better/easier to change the interior, vs brakes and steering? Is there anything missing from Track package besides those 2 items? any upgraded cooling? The car I've got my eye on does have the adaptive suspension already.

Hope this isn't too generic. Thanks!

Last edited by jholder; 11-17-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
I've finally decided to pick up a new vehicle, and have been focusing on a '16 340i. After doing some research, there are very specific options (paint, interior, packages) that I've been looking for. However I haven't had much luck finding the "one". There are several that come very close, but just don't seem to have everything. I'm looking for a 16, 340i, EB2, saddle brown interior with M-Sport, track package, technology package, and the adaptive LED headlights.

Most of the cars I've seen come really close but either the interior color is wrong (black), or everything else is right, but missing the track package. (Though one in particular does have but the larger brakes and variable steering).

So my question is, it looks like an interior swap would run around 2k'ish depending on circumstances, but in the case of the car missing the track package, I'm not sure of the costs for upgrading the brakes, or even if the VSS is possible to be added after the fact.

So the real question is, what would be involved in the upgrading the brakes, and is VSS even possible to retrofit.

I suppose a more generalized question is.. in your opinion, better/easier to change the interior, vs brakes and steering? Is there anything missing from Track package besides those 2 items? any upgraded cooling? The car I've got my eye on does have the adaptive suspension already.

Don't quote me on this, but I do believe that the M Sport package on these cars comes with some cooling components... I believe there is an extra fan or two? I know that the M240i came equipped with those and after reading around, the M-Sport package in your car does seem to add that in.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I am can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

Going by experience i would say it would be easiest and possibly more cost effective to swap the interior than add something like the M-Sport pack.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

If the interior is wrong on the everything else right car, (and it sounds like you are tired of waiting or need a car), I'd go with that. Someone will be willing to trade their saddle for your black, might take some time to find the right donor for swap, or source from wrecked car. For a DIY person this is an easy swap (black to saddle). Dash trim highlight has to match since it extends to the door panels, rear shade option needs to match, as do the heating options. If donor is not a 340, verify it has premium package and HK.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

Agree. Interior is largely on bolt up upgrade. As long as you're not adding anything other than the options already there it's pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Even the interior swap might be hassle as you really need to get the swap to have the same, so electric seats, heated, lumbar etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Anything can be retrofitted....but it's much MUCH MUCH more expensive than getting it OEM from factory.

VSS would not be worth it. Brakes would probably be $2500 installed.

Interior swaps seldom happen as logistics are a nightmare (as well as shipping cost) and the unknown condition of what you are getting vs what you are giving up. I've seen some brown interiors go for roughly $2000 + freight which isn't cheap. Then there is the install depending on if you can do it yourself or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I suggest to find the car with M Sport and technology package and create room for compromises regarding interior color.

VSS is a nice option but it's not a must have.

Brakes can be easily upgraded and there are many aftermarket suspension options.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
KDW4him
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
I've finally decided to pick up a new vehicle, and have been focusing on a '16 340i. After doing some research, there are very specific options (paint, interior, packages) that I've been looking for. However I haven't had much luck finding the "one". There are several that come very close,
How long have you been looking? I went 5 months and did just a little compromise to find what I wanted.

BMW, you might find better but you can't pay more
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #10
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It took me over 12 months and even then I had to forsake a red interior and heads up display which I really wanted.
Appreciate 0