Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Scheduled charging without departure time

11-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Scheduled charging without departure time

Hi,

I'm receiving my 330e in February (too long wait!) but i'm already reading all manuals.

I understand reading the manual that in order to have a defined charging time (to benefit from the lowest tariffs) you must set a departure time. Is that the case? Can't I simply setup an initial charging time? I leave at different times almost every day and i simply want my 330e to charge at the cheapest time slot.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
Hi,

I'm receiving my 330e in February (too long wait!) but i'm already reading all manuals.

I understand reading the manual that in order to have a defined charging time (to benefit from the lowest tariffs) you must set a departure time. Is that the case? Can't I simply setup an initial charging time? I leave at different times almost every day and i simply want my 330e to charge at the cheapest time slot.

Thanks!
In this case you set the charge time for Monday to Sunday at (for example) 0000 - 0430 or what ever your low tariff time is. As long as your car is plugged in it will charge at these times
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
rf3000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
In this case you set the charge time for Monday to Sunday at (for example) 0000 - 0430 or what ever your low tariff time is. As long as your car is plugged in it will charge at these times
Thank you Jkwon, so there is no need to set a departure time in order to charge at a desired time window. That’s what I expected but I did not understand that at the owners manual, so thanks a lot for the clarification
Appreciate 1
Jkwon27.00
      11-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Jkwon, so there is no need to set a departure time in order to charge at a desired time window. That’s what I expected but I did not understand that at the owners manual, so thanks a lot for the clarification
You can set different things all within the iPhone app, it's very easy to control
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, not sure this is how it works, at least not on mine. You can either set immediate charge or timed charge (e.g. to get off peak electricity). If you select the latter it forces you to set a departure time, you then have the option of activating climate control to make the car warm/cold for your departure time.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Jkwon, so there is no need to set a departure time in order to charge at a desired time window. That's what I expected but I did not understand that at the owners manual, so thanks a lot for the clarification
Hmm, not sure this is how it works, at least not on mine. You can either set immediate charge or timed charge (e.g. to get off peak electricity). If you select the latter it forces you to set a departure time, you then have the option of activating climate control to make the car warm/cold for your departure time.
I was mistaken you're quite correct! When I looked at the app I assumed it was just a case of setting the charge time. Still, just set departure time for the same time every day and it's done, it will charge over night
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
rf3000
Private
Rep

Thank you tricky6 and Jkwon! So my understanding with the owner manual was that you must set a departure time. Is there any issue if you do not leave at the departure time? Does it really charge at the defined window no matter of the departure time set?

Quote:
I was mistaken you're quite correct! When I looked at the app I assumed it was just a case of setting the charge time. Still, just set departure time for the same time every day and it's done, it will charge over night
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you tricky6 and Jkwon! So my understanding with the owner manual was that you must set a departure time. Is there any issue if you do not leave at the departure time? Does it really charge at the defined window no matter of the departure time set?

Quote:
Yes it starts charging when the slot starts. I've only ever set a departure time after the off peak finishes. It does which makes you wonder why it forces a departure time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #9
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Anyone have an idea how long the “Climatise now” function on the Connected Drive App works for when car has charger cable attached?
The last couple of zero C mornings I’ve just warmed the car up for about 15 mins without timer before setting off. Curious to know if it auto turns off after a given time. Can’t find any info.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
Ipoipo
Rep
Drives: G20 e

My understanding of the charging is that you must set a departing time so that the charging doesn't start too early wasting battery.
Imagine you want to leave at 1pm and your charging period is from 1am to 7 am, then the car calculates that for the KW/H that you need for a full charge its ok to start charging at 4 am until 7 am, instead of starting at 1 am and finishing at 4 am. This avoids charging too early and wasting battery while standing by.

What in my car I can't make work its the Charging power in AMPs. No matter what AMPs I choose, it always charge at 16AMPs. I want to charge at 10 AMPs to save the battery and not to rise the electricity bill by paying more KW. Does anyone knows how to limit the charging power ok? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoipo View Post
My understanding of the charging is that you must set a departing time so that the charging doesn't start too early wasting battery.
Imagine you want to leave at 1pm and your charging period is from 1am to 7 am, then the car calculates that for the KW/H that you need for a full charge its ok to start charging at 4 am until 7 am, instead of starting at 1 am and finishing at 4 am. This avoids charging too early and wasting battery while standing by.

What in my car I can't make work its the Charging power in AMPs. No matter what AMPs I choose, it always charge at 16AMPs. I want to charge at 10 AMPs to save the battery and not to rise the electricity bill by paying more KW. Does anyone knows how to limit the charging power ok? thanks
So it doesn't work like that. You have a 12kw battery. Either you charge it quickly at 16A or slowly at 10A. As long as the unit charge/hour is the same it'll cost you the same. The battery doesn't lose any appreciable charge if left, as long as you don't use the climate function. I've left mine for a day or two at times and it's still 100% when I get back.

You can only change the AMP load using the 3-pin charger, I think. To cope with power supplies that can't handle a high load. If you've got a dedicated charger it just uses all the power.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
rf3000
Private
Rep

I understand that what ipoipo needs is to charge it with less power (at 10A not at 16A). Your maximum power is 16A*230/230V, which gives you those 3.7kwh but if you want to charge at 10A*230V you will be getting 2.3kwh, so you need 4 hours to fully charge your battery instead of 3 but you do not require more power contracted.

Quote:
So it doesn't work like that. You have a 12kw battery. Either you charge it quickly at 16A or slowly at 10A. As long as the unit charge/hour is the same it'll cost you the same. The battery doesn't lose any appreciable charge if left, as long as you don't use the climate function. I've left mine for a day or two at times and it's still 100% when I get back.

You can only change the AMP load using the 3-pin charger, I think. To cope with power supplies that can't handle a high load. If you've got a dedicated charger it just uses all the power.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #13
Ipoipo
Rep
Drives: G20 e

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I´ll try that. Sound like it could be it. The thing is that with the 3 pin charger You shoudn´t charge at 16A, maybe that's why.

Quote:
I understand that what ipoipo needs is to charge it with less power (at 10A not at 16A). Your maximum power is 16A*230/230V, which gives you those 3.7kwh but if you want to charge at 10A*230V you will be getting 2.3kwh, so you need 4 hours to fully charge your battery instead of 3 but you do not require more power contracted.
Thats exactly what I want. Not to increase the power of my house.
Appreciate 0