F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Are the proximity sensors disabled in Sport/Sport+ ?
proTUNING Freaks

11-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
FIDDYgg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i X-Drive

Are the proximity sensors disabled in Sport/Sport+ ?

As the title reads, are the parking sensors disabled in the sport modes? Often when I arrive at home with the car in Sport+ and park in my driveway nose first I will get no proximity warning as I approach my closed garage door.

I did notice that if I pull in to the driveway and put the vehicle in reverse, the sensors / warnings will come on and stay on if I return the transmission to Drive.

11-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It's on when you put it in reverse but not when you pull in while in drive regardless of mode. When you put it in D from R it stays on for a few feet moving forward before turning off. Does not matter what mode it will come on whenever you are in reverse even in sport plus. It's required by law to do that.
Appreciate 1
Kaisah71.50
      11-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Yeah for some reason the F30 don't have automatic front parking sensors. Have to press the button.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
FIDDYgg
Private
Canada
Rep

Oh okay, weird... Thanks guys, my previous vehicles all had the front sensors active below a certain speed threshold regardless of forward or reverse gear.
      11-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Yes I do wish the sensors were on at all times like when pulling in that it will pick up if you're getting too close or parallel parking where you don't use reverse. I've put the car in reverse to get them on sometimes before pulling forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

One reason they're not active unless you put the car in reverse or you manually engage the rear camera is so they won't sound off when in congested city traffic. From a technical standpoint they work in tandem with the rear camera, so you can't have the one without the other.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDDYgg View Post
As the title reads, are the parking sensors disabled in the sport modes? Often when I arrive at home with the car in Sport+ and park in my driveway nose first I will get no proximity warning as I approach my closed garage door.

I did notice that if I pull in to the driveway and put the vehicle in reverse, the sensors / warnings will come on and stay on if I return the transmission to Drive.

You have to press the button and it work on all drive mode. And only going reverse that it automatically turns on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
FIDDYgg
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
One reason they're not active unless you put the car in reverse or you manually engage the rear camera is so they won't sound off when in congested city traffic. From a technical standpoint they work in tandem with the rear camera, so you can't have the one without the other.
I suppose this makes sense, although I've witnessed countless drivers who would benefit from the sensors being on at ALL times (including stop and go traffic )

I'll never need them during regular driving, only when trying to park within a few inches of something I don't mind having the consistency of a warning system. I'll just have to get used to turning them on myself!
      11-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry but this is bollocks.

VW/Merc/Audi all have auto front sensors and in my experience with those cars they don't go off in traffic. Or in the drive through. They just come in when your slowly approach something very close. I rarely sat that close to someone's bumper in traffic..

BMW even have auto front sensors in X cars... so they can do it. Just not on F series cars. Not sure if the G series has it? But it's definitely not because of the traffic thing..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisah View Post
Quote:

VW/Merc/Audi all have auto front sensors and in my experience with those cars they don't go off in traffic. Or in the drive through. They just come in when your slowly approach something very close. I rarely sat that close to someone's bumper in traffic..

BMW even have auto front sensors in X cars... so they can do it. Just not on F series cars. Not sure if the G series has it? But it's definitely not because of the traffic thing..
My F23 has them; they are engaged automagically without the need to "push a button". You guys can code this stuff using BimmerCode or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
VW/Merc/Audi all have auto front sensors and in my experience with those cars they don't go off in traffic.
There's only one way to know if those on an F30 would go off in traffic, that being if you coded your rear camera/PDC to be able to be activated at any speed, and to remain on until one turned them off. I did. If left on they will go off in city traffic, annoyingly so.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #12
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Mine stay on in sport. And they will warn you in traffic, if you are willing or brave enough to pull up close to the rust bucket in front of you.

The BMW is the first car I had with front sensors that warn you to a low parking lot curb when you pull into a parking space. It hasn't failed to do so yet, and I haven't scraped the underside on a curb yet either. (Knock on wood) I say, so far a good front PDC system.

Other cars warn of a bumper or a wall, but never a low curb.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #13
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

VW system does, and it's super annoying. Even rain sets off the DAP VW system. It's like the aliexpress system, but you want the real system from a real company like BMW. You are lucky you have the choice here, just tap the button.

Yes, I know tapping a button is hard in this day and age.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #14
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:

VW system does, and it's super annoying. Even rain sets off the DAP VW system. It's like the aliexpress system, but you want the real system from a real company like BMW. You are lucky you have the choice here, just tap the button.

Yes, I know tapping a button is hard in this day and age.
I drove a mk7 golf r for 3 years and never once had the sensors come on by accident :
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #15
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
VW/Merc/Audi all have auto front sensors and in my experience with those cars they don't go off in traffic.
There's only one way to know if those on an F30 would go off in traffic, that being if you coded your rear camera/PDC to be able to be activated at any speed, and to remain on until one turned them off. I did. If left on they will go off in city traffic, annoyingly so.
That would because they are activated when the camera is on though. They aren't on constantly in VWs etc or even the X series cars. The car somehow knows when you're trying to park as opposed to being in traffic etc. Trust me, drive a VW and you'll see. Or jump in a X3/5.

I'd you manually override and turn them on then of course then will go off as soon as you get near to something. That's different to how automatic PDC works. Even under the BMW marquee.

Not trying to cause an argument here but the system works flawlessly in other cars within the BMW range as well as other marquees. Surely they could have turned this ok in the Fxx: minor annoyance but takes some getting used to when you're used to it being auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That would because they are activated when the camera is on though. They aren't on constantly in VWs etc or even the X series cars. The car somehow knows when you're trying to park as opposed to being in traffic etc. Trust me, drive a VW and you'll see. Or jump in a X3/5.

I'd you manually override and turn them on then of course then will go off as soon as you get near to something. That's different to how automatic PDC works. Even under the BMW marquee.

Not trying to cause an argument here but the system works flawlessly in other cars within the BMW range as well as other marquees. Surely they could have turned this ok in the Fxx: minor annoyance but takes some getting used to when you're used to it being auto.
Not sure if this is enabled in G20? Must be one of those pay to play type scenarios like sync air conditioning. Could be fixed with a simple software update or maybe just coding it to turn on auto PDC.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

The front PDC sensors on the F3x ARE active all the time and WILL signal you if you get too close to an object in the front!
I intentionally get close to some bushes when maneuvering to park at my place, as this automatically activates Surround view and the vehicle remains in surround view when you then put in reverse. Otherwise putting in reverse activates the rear view camera only and I need to manually go to Surround view if I want that. Or I need to press the park button before I put in reverse.

What I don's know however is whether this exact logic and activation applied pre-LCI.
      11-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The front PDC sensors on the F3x ARE active all the time and WILL signal you if you get too close to an object in the front!
I intentionally get close to some bushes when maneuvering to park at my place, as this automatically activates Surround view and the vehicle remains in surround view when you then put in reverse. Otherwise putting in reverse activates the rear view camera only and I need to manually go to Surround view if I want that. Or I need to press the park button before I put in reverse.

What I don's know however is whether this exact logic and activation applied pre-LCI.
Maybe it works with surround view. I just have the regular reversing camera and have an LCI car. I think reverse cameras were mandatory beginning in 2017 so maybe they decided to make the sensors automatic then.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #19
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:

Pretty sure this isn't the case on my 2015. I pull head first into a parking garage and get close to the railing and it never once turned on by itself. Always have to activate it manually.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #20
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Mine is a LCI 2017 and can confirm front PDC doesn't activate. I've been about 2 inches from a wall before without any chimes. Perhaps this is only with surround view? I just have the regular reverse cam
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #21
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No they are not, you have to actively turn on PDC on a 2017.

In my garage I have limited space, my tool box is larger and weighs more than the F3x, but when I get close, nope. I'm about 11 cm from it right now, just hating the day I actually tap it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #22
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drove a mk7 golf r for 3 years and never once had the sensors come on by accident :

Lucky you. Grap the vw forums asap then. New 2017+ have sporadic sensor confusions galore, and sunroof leaks, and blown engines, and awd failures. I'm sure I'm missing a lot here.

VW is a mess these days. Thanks for playing!
Appreciate 0