Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance chosen by Toyota USA to tune their TRD Supra

11-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation Mission Performance chosen by Toyota USA to tune their TRD Supra

Alex (owner, programmer, and flash architect etc at MP) often has projects that he can't talk about....I guess this was one of them. Impressive he was tapped on the shoulder to work on the B58 equipped Supra

https://pressroom.toyota.com/500-hor...o-supras-past/
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 11-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: added toyota link
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Being selected by Toyota/TRD to tune their Supra...to me that's quite the vote of confidence / nice work MP
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Slammed with center exhaust outlet. If this has 500 HP from factory with factory warranty that will be sic. If you can add this to any Supra after delivery that will be sic or a port install upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Being selected by Toyota/TRD to tune their Supra...to me that's quite the vote of confidence / nice work MP
I couldn't agree more...here is the quote from the Toyota press release.

"Precision Turbo & Engine modified a stock turbocharger to produce 18-percent more airflow for the B58 engine. A custom intake and 3-inch center exit exhaust permit the engine to breathe more freely while Mission Performance calibrated the engine management system. Now tuned, the engine produces over 500 horsepower."
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Slammed with center exhaust outlet. If this has 500 HP from factory with factory warranty that will be sic. If you can add this to any Supra after delivery that will be sic or a port install upgrade.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
And yet they won't offer a warranty on their tune...
      11-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes_m340 View Post
And who does?
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Quote:
And who does?
Dinan.

https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/
      11-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #9
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Quote:
And who does?
See warranty tab for an example.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...340i%20xDrive/
      11-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
"And yet they won't offer a warranty on their tune"..."See warranty tab for an example""Dinan"
Let's do some friendly fact checking - so everyone can draw their own conclusions. Here is some purely objective information.

Dinan does not presently make a flash tune for any B58 - they simply offer a piggyback box for the first gen B58. So yes what you have shared here is a good example of the Dinan warranty but to avoid any confusion let's be clear it is a warranty on a product that is not a flash and not presently being marketed for our cars.

Here is a list of the major aftermarket flash tuners for the B58 platform, most do not presently have a tune available for the latest gen B58 engine that is found in the M340, but they will soon enough. I've added a yes/no by each one regarding whether or not they offer a "warranty" option on your car.
  • MG flasher NO
  • Mission Performance NO
  • BM3 NO
  • MHD NO
  • DME NO
  • Active Autowerke NO
  • Carbahn YES*
*as I understand it for $750.00 they will match your factory warranty

And here is a list of some companies that offer "piggybacks" for the first gen B58 and are not flash tunes and therefore not applicable to this conversation
  • Dinan
  • BMS (JB+, Jb4)
  • Superchips

Last edited by RTPenland; 11-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: accidentally listed MHD twice
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
"And yet they won't offer a warranty on their tune"..."See warranty tab for an example""Dinan"
Let's do some friendly fact checking - so everyone can draw their own conclusions. Here is some purely objective information.

Dinan does not presently make a flash tune for any B58 - they simply offer a piggyback box for the first gen B58. So yes what you have shared here is a good example of the Dinan warranty but to avoid any confusion let's be clear it is a warranty on a product that is not a flash and not presently being marketed for our cars.

Here is a list of the major aftermarket flash tuners for the B58 platform, most do not presently have a tune available for the latest gen B58 engine that is found in the M340, but they will soon enough. I've added a yes/no by each one regarding whether or not they offer a "warranty" option on your car.
  • MG flasher NO
  • Mission Performance NO
  • BM3 NO
  • MHD NO
  • DME NO
  • Active Autowerke NO
  • Carbahn YES*
*as I understand it for $750.00 they will match your factory warranty

And here is a list of some companies that offer "piggybacks" for the first gen B58 and are not flash tunes and therefore not applicable to this conversation
  • Dinan
  • BMS (JB+, Jb4)
  • Superchips
Love this post. I hadn't heard the CarBahn information before, that's definitely a consideration for me now. Dinan confirmed they have a tune and CAI in development for our B58, I can live with that.
      11-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Love this post. I hadn't heard the CarBahn information before, that's definitely a consideration for me now. Dinan confirmed they have a tune and CAI in development for our B58, I can live with that.
Glad you love it, I aim to please. Few things:
  • Dinan's flash tune for any B58 platform has been "in development" for almost 2+ years now so I wouldn't hold my breath
  • Dinan currently has a CAI solution for the 340 and while it is pretty and shiny in carbon at $600 it's quite pricey and it nets no additional gains compared to other solutions - in fact many will argue a CAI or open element does little or nothing on our cars (that's for you to decide)
  • CarBahn is a Steve Dinan company (that's good) - remember the old Dinan, the one we all knew and loved over the years, was sold 6 years ago to Driven Performance Brand Group, and is now part of their corporate portfolio which includes the likes of Dinan, APR, Flowmaster, B&M, Hurst etc

My money still goes to MP simply because they have delivered rock solid solutions over the years that just do not skip a beat on the street or the track despite heavy abuse. And that is based on my first hand experience with my car and other MP equipped cars. I am not surprised that Toyota/TRD USA leaned on Alex to help - he is simply that good.

That aside we all choose our own lanes for our own reasons - good luck on your HP quest and if it's warranty that you are after, looking forward to your CarBahn review...it's probably going to be your only option (and that's not a bad thing)

Last edited by RTPenland; 11-10-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Glad you love it, I aim to please. Few things:
  • Dinan's flash tune for any B58 platform has been "in development" for almost 2+ years now so I wouldn't hold my breath
  • Dinan currently has a CAI solution for the 340 and while it is pretty and shiny in carbon at $600 it's quite pricey and it nets no additional gains compared to other solutions - in fact many will argue a CAI or open element does little or nothing on our cars (that's for you to decide)
  • CarBahn is a Steve Dinan company (that's good) - remember the old Dinan, the one we all knew and loved over the years, was sold 6 years ago to Driven Performance Brand Group, and is now part of their corporate portfolio which includes the likes of Dinan, APR, Flowmaster, B&M, Hurst etc

My money still goes to MP simply because they have delivered rock solid solutions over the years that just do not skip a beat on the street or the track despite heavy abuse. And that is based on my first hand experience with my car and other MP equipped cars. I am not surprised that Toyota/TRD USA leaned on Alex to help - he is simply that good.

That aside we all choose our own lanes for our own reasons - good luck on your HP quest and if it's warranty that you are after, looking forward to your CarBahn review...it's probably going to be your only option (and that's not a bad thing)
I'd disagree regarding the tune being in development for 2 years. My conversation with Dinan earlier this year said they were waiting to get a test car before they could begin.

I'd also disagree on the CAI remark, there IS NOT a CAI available for our car from Dinan. In terms of power gains, I'd expect a similar 10-15 whp gain like in the past. I'm not sure I've ever expected much more from a CAI. The reason the closed box is important for our cars is because of the location relative to the turbo.
      11-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd disagree regarding the tune being in development for 2 years. My conversation with Dinan earlier this year said they were waiting to get a test car before they could begin.

I'd also disagree on the CAI remark, there IS NOT a CAI available for our car from Dinan. In terms of power gains, I'd expect a similar 10-15 whp gain like in the past. I'm not sure I've ever expected much more from a CAI. The reason the closed box is important for our cars is because of the location relative to the turbo.
I referred to "any" B58 platform and mentioned the CAI intake for the 340 vs the M340 as an example. But maybe I could have been more clear.

I am referring to Dinan's efforts in general with any B58 platform not the B58 specifically in the M340. Meaning if you were to have called Dinan approx two years ago and asked about a Flash you would have received the same response. In fact as far as I know Dinan has zero flash tunes available for any BMW platform right now it's just piggyback solutions.

Same for the CAI there is one available for the 340 just not the M340 just yet - and in the case of former it is a beautiful looking piece that retains the bottom of the factory airbox but replaces the top with a Dinan piece and allows for the use of an open element filter inside the box....you can probably expect much the same design for the M340. In design theory it is exactly the same as the piece AFE makes. Whether any of these solutions generate any meaningful net gains in hp/tq is open to debate. Increased sound yes...meaningful performance gains not so sure (but I don't really care either way and if that's how someone wants to spend their money I think that's great). Keep in mind MP only runs factory air boxes with factory filters in all their cars for all their tunes...I found that interesting.

ps- I'm a Dinan fan from 25+ years ago so no hate on Dinan just sharing what I know

ps- any mods on your car currently?

Last edited by RTPenland; 11-11-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I referred to "any" B58 platform and mentioned the CAI intake for the 340 vs the M340 as an example. But maybe I could have been more clear.

I am referring to Dinan's efforts in general with any B58 platform not the B58 specifically in the M340. Meaning if you were to have called Dinan approx two years ago and asked about a Flash you would have received the same response. In fact as far as I know Dinan has zero flash tunes available for any BMW platform right now it's just piggyback solutions.

Same for the CAI there is one available for the 340 just not the M340 just yet - and in the case of former it is a beautiful looking piece that retains the bottom of the factory airbox but replaces the top with a Dinan piece and allows for the use of an open element filter inside the box....you can probably expect much the same design for the M340. In design theory it is exactly the same as the piece AFE makes. Whether any of these solutions generate any meaningful net gains in hp/tq is open to debate. Increased sound yes...meaningful performance gains not so sure (but I don't really care either way and if that's how someone wants to spend their money I think that's great). Keep in mind MP only runs factory air boxes with factory filters in all their cars for all their tunes...I found that interesting.

ps- I'm a Dinan fan from 25+ years ago so no hate on Dinan just sharing what I know

ps- any mods on your car currently?
All good, and I genuinely appreciate the open dialogue. No mods yet, and I say that knowing I have a K&N drop in with the baffle removed.

11-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All good, and I genuinely appreciate the open dialogue. No mods yet, and I say that knowing I have a K&N drop in with the baffle removed.

That's super cool - maybe start a new thread on that so it doesn't get lost in this one - thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's super cool - maybe start a new thread on that so it doesn't get lost in this one - thanks for sharing
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Won't the TRD Supra have a warranty if sold at the dealership?
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a great question. If they sell that as a package you get from the dealership, I don't see why they couldn't offer the standalone products with a warranty.
      11-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a great question. If they sell that as a package you get from the dealership, I don't see why they couldn't offer the standalone products with a warranty.
Like the MPPSK it should have its own warranty through Toyota TRD.
Appreciate 0