E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > tax question

08-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
tax question

i live in ontario but transfered to a job with the government working across the bridge in quebec. i understand that at the source my pay (about 17% of my salary) will be held by Revenue Quebec for provincial or federal something; but i'm told that next year when i do my taxes i'll get a big refund. does anybody have the experience of living in ontario but working in quebec?

"CANADA" was the best category i could think of asking my question and getting a response, sorry

Last edited by NoKids; 08-26-2008 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

It's been a while since I had to do this, but basically, I think your employer will withhold taxes based on Quebec tax rates, which are significantly higher than Ontario taxes. When you file your return, you will probably have overpaid and will therefore get a refund, but that depends on the rest of your tax situation. In Quebec, you have to file a separate provincial tax return instead of the one big return. I think, as an Ontario resident, you fill out the standard Ontario tax return and some additional paperwork, but you are taxed as an Ontario resident because that's where you live.

Compared to getting across the bridge every day, it's probably a relatively minor annoyance
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yeah, been a long while for myself as well as I don't do taxes anymore...only did that for about 2 months. But as I recall, its basically what w2 said - you'd be taxed twice, once for source (Quebec - because they want their money if you worked in their province), and then again in Ontario because of your residency (our tax system as I recall is based on residency - if you lived in Quebec this would go away). However, it would be unfair for you to pay tax on the same income twice, so the tax laws permit you to claim a credit for foreign taxes paid...called a foreign tax credit.

I'm guessing Quebec is "foreign" - but one way or another you'll get to claim a credit and so you were told correctly that you'll have a large refund. Nasty part is you lose out on the time value of that money that the gov't keeps for you till you file - that money is not earning you interest my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
thanks guys.

yes going over that bridge is hell. the roads are f***ed up, yesterday i drove over a part of the highway that was under construction, no signs say to slow down and so i went over this man made speed bump on the highway at 100 km/hr. my car almost exploded.