Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What, exactly, is "Adaptive Driving Mode"?

10-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
What, exactly, is "Adaptive Driving Mode"?

Hi,

I have been driving my M340 Xdrive for several months and I really enjoy doing so -- this handles soooo much better than my F30 did. Rode Back of the Dragon here in western Virginia and this car performed very well!!

Have driven Eco and Sport, setting up individual profiles in each, BUT can't find anything out about Adaptive Driving Mode. All I found in the manual was the name of the button.

So what does this driving mode do? What is it "adapting" -- acceleration, handling, braking and under what conditions?

Sorry for the dumb question, but am just trying to figure this out

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

I have been driving my M340 Xdrive for several months and I really enjoy doing so -- this handles soooo much better than my F30 did. Rode Back of the Dragon here in western Virginia and this car performed very well!!

Have driven Eco and Sport, setting up individual profiles in each, BUT can't find anything out about Adaptive Driving Mode. All I found in the manual was the name of the button.

So what does this driving mode do? What is it "adapting" -- acceleration, handling, braking and under what conditions?

Sorry for the dumb question, but am just trying to figure this out

Thanks
I haven't used it myself - but it is supposed to change the way the car responds based on how you're driving it and your GPS location (apparently only with active guidance enabled on the built in Navigation system). So if you have the adaptive suspension, on highways it should theoretically put the suspension into comfort mode, backroads - sport mode. It also depends on how you're driving, so I assume if you floor it, it changes the engine mode to sport for example.

There isn't anything special about it though, it would just be able to change the adaptive suspension, the engine mode, the steering. Essentially the same things you can configure manually with Sport Individual.

If you do a quick google search you can find more specifics, here is what I found with a quick search (from another BMW forum):

Quote:
In Adaptive mode, the following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor) *If equipped
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      10-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
I describe Adaptive mode as "overlapping the 'modes' without driver intervention". It is adapting to the driving style, adjusting on the fly, with the added benefit of predictive input from the SatNav data.

Does allow for an automatic switching from Comfort to Sport mode, according to the driver's current style. Drive a bit harder... change of inputs...

Quote:
The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.
Many using Adaptive mode in the G30/31 say it is a more comfortable drive, than Comfort mode. The 'firming up' as you press on, keeps the chassis more settled and therefore remains comfortable.

From BMW data on the subject:

Quote:
"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style.

With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      12-01-2023, 12:33 AM   #4
vedant
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Many using Adaptive mode in the G30/31 say it is a more comfortable drive, than Comfort mode.
Pardon my resurrecting of this thread...

I've been driving around in Adaptive mode this past week and would agree. Comfort mode is just not as comfort-oriented as I'd like while Sport can just feel too eager to hold gears and aggressively down-shift. Sometimes feels like I'm in a dual-clutch on downshifts, and not in a good way... Adaptive somehow feels like it knows what I want out of the car in that moment. Maybe it's a psychological thing but it's working well for me...
      12-01-2023, 05:37 AM   #5
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

As the originator of this thread, I thought an update might be in order.

For some time, I used EcoPro driving around town and when I was on highway; I went to Sport on entering highway, at track and when I wanted to have some fun

I played with Adaptive and eventually replaced EcoPro use with Adaptive-- have even coded it as start up mode. I have also found its acceleration more responsive than EcoPro and about the same in terms fuel economy -- hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 08:20 AM   #6
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

As so few of us use BMW navigation, you may be the only one using Adaptive Mode at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #7
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Same here: my startup mode is ADAPTIVE. Hardly ever switch from that; on the rare occasion that I do, I set it to Sports Individual for some play time. I don’t drive in COMFORT at all but it’s good to know that ADAPTIVE drives more comfortably. As others have stated here — and on multiple other threads — it uses way more information and input beyond Nav/GPS data - making it practical for daily drive.
Appreciate 0