forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Apple carplay

10-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Brunov0811
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Apple carplay

Since the latest iPhone update is anyone having issues with your phones connecting for car play? I connect to the IDrive no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Occasionally my iPhone won’t connect through CarPlay and I have to restart the phone. After the restart it always connects with no issues. I noticed it mostly happens after my wife has driven the car and connected her phone, and then I take the car and it usually fails to connect back to my phone. Although given restarting my phone always fixes the issue, leads me to believe the problem is with iOS/phone, not with the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:04 AM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunov0811 View Post
Since the latest iPhone update is anyone having issues with your phones connecting for car play? I connect to the IDrive no problem.
Generally no airplay issues - but every time I say that I jinx it!

- Very occasional drop outs, then service resumes
- Sometimes it picks up from last trip and connects automatically
- Sometimes I have to use the menus to select airplay before I can play music - via the Media button is probably fastest
- Sometimes it just doesn't connect at the start of a trip, but once fixed, see first bullet

Rebooting either/both phone and iDrive will generally fix it. Sometimes all thats needed is to reset the wifi/bluetooth connection to the car. I put the phone in airplane mode and then back to normal. This is often enough to fix it and much less hassle than the rebooting.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

To X7 owners who have CarPlay configured for both yourself and your spouse (or multiple iPhones), how has it been working? I know we can set the connection priority when multiple iPhones are in the X7 but how well does iDrive handle the following situations?
  • The husband's iPhone is set to the top priority and connects to CarPlay. When his wife uses the X7 without him in the car, does CarPlay automatically connect from her iPhone or does she have to manually select her phone from iDrive?
  • What happens the next time he drives the X7? Does CarPlay automatically connect?
  • When they both get in the X7 at the same time, does his iPhone connect and her iPhone is ignored? Is that automatic and happens every time?
  • If she gets in first does her iPhone connect but his iPhone takes over the connection when he gets into the X7?
  • Are there any other quarks when CarPlay is set up for two or more iPhones in the family?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
To X7 owners who have CarPlay configured for both yourself and your spouse (or multiple iPhones), how has it been working? I know we can set the connection priority when multiple iPhones are in the X7 but how well does iDrive handle the following situations?
  • The husband's iPhone is set to the top priority and connects to CarPlay. When his wife uses the X7 without him in the car, does CarPlay automatically connect from her iPhone or does she have to manually select her phone from iDrive?
  • What happens the next time he drives the X7? Does CarPlay automatically connect?
  • When they both get in the X7 at the same time, does his iPhone connect and her iPhone is ignored? Is that automatic and happens every time?
  • If she gets in first does her iPhone connect but his iPhone takes over the connection when he gets into the X7?
  • Are there any other quarks when CarPlay is set up for two or more iPhones in the family?
Last week when we both got in the X7 at the same time, her iPhone connected even though mine was priority 1. I could not correct it unless I manually set mine. I ended up removing her phone, rebooting iDrive and adding it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
My iPhone X went from being a massive frustration to being rock-solid and just as reliable as it is in my 4 Series, however…

1. It was only after I deleted my wife’s iPhone X out of iDrive permanently.

2. I deleted my iPhone X from iDrive and removed both my X7 and my 4 from CarPlay in iPhone settings and then reinstalled my iPhone on both vehicles.

So, for me, to get my iPhone to work flawlessly on my X7 I needed to do a virgin install and delete my wife from the process. A shame since CarPlay would have benefitted her as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
My iPhone X went from being a massive frustration to being rock-solid and just as reliable as it is in my 4 Series, however…

2. I deleted my iPhone X from iDrive and removed both my X7 and my 4 from CarPlay in iPhone settings and then reinstalled my iPhone on both vehicles.

So, for me, to get my iPhone to work flawlessly on my X7 I needed to do a virgin install and delete my wife from the process. A shame since CarPlay would have benefitted her as well.

Did you really just say you deleted your wife and installed a virgin???
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

What I find frustrating is that despite having two separate driver profiles (for me and my wife), you can't have iphones assigned to those profiles, or have separate priority iPhone for each profile. So my iPhone is always the priority one, even if my wife is driving - not ideal if we're both in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Did you really just say you deleted your wife and installed a virgin???
Yes, and as an added bonus now I no longer have xDrive problems either. My xDrive came back, my xDrive is better than ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:

Do you have two driver profiles tied to each of the keys? This might help having independent settings for you and your wife
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarecki View Post
What I find frustrating is that despite having two separate driver profiles (for me and my wife), you can't have iphones assigned to those profiles, or have separate priority iPhone for each profile. So my iPhone is always the priority one, even if my wife is driving - not ideal if we're both in the car.
It is irritating that the software developers haven't yet solved this issue. It would appear to be straightforward to connect the iPhone (CarPlay) of the currently selected profile and ignore any other iPhones in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

When I use Carplay and leave the vehicle, it leaves Carplay running in the background on my iPhone. Is there a setting to turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
When I use Carplay and leave the vehicle, it leaves Carplay running in the background on my iPhone. Is there a setting to turn it off?
This shouldn't be happening. It has never happened to me. Are you sure you aren't hitting the play button on the lock screen? That happens to me
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #14
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
This shouldn't be happening. It has never happened to me. Are you sure you aren't hitting the play button on the lock screen? That happens to me
I believe it is shutting down but takes a little time. I'll keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0