F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seemingly poor milage or just my perception?
proTUNING Freaks

10-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Seemingly poor milage or just my perception?

2018 330 I xdrive. So it's a 2.0 turbo.
All done in eco mode except for maybe 5 minutes. Almost all on highway at 120kmh (except for those 5 minutes, where I did go much faster)
Supposed milage when I filled it showed 611km, which slowly gained as I drove for an hour, up to 641, and then finally went below 600 after the first hour.
Ended the tank with 23km remaining, fill up took 57.x L and it should've ended at 740km if I ran it dry.
I reset all counters at fill up.
Showed 7.5l/100km
The tank following when I started it, showed a range of 714.

Couple of questions. Was that good milage for the car?

Why the difference in supposed ranges with the 2 fill ups. Both were the same, squeezed every last drop in.

My eco mode "gained kms", went up as it should've, but during the times I went faster, it removed some of them. Sure that's understandable I suppose. But near the end of the tank, when it showed my gained range of about 90kms, as the remaining range went down, it also removed my gained kms. So when it had 70kms left to go, my gained kms showed the same. All the way down to when I filled at 23 remaining.... seems weird to take away from the gained range..... did I not gain it or????
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

The range is an estimate based on the last several km of driving. No one knows the exact algorithm but it is simply a guess based on amount in the tank and the mileage you have been getting based on recent driving history. Driving slower or leaving the mountains (predominantly downhill for a long time) will leave you with a phenomenal range which could then change radically based on the next set of driving conditions.

The only way to really know mileage is to run several tanks and divide distance by fuel used.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Smiles per gallon first of all 😀. I get 9 to 11 l/100km mixed. With a tune however. On a fully highway trip ai got it down to 7.4. These are not eco cars. The diesels are a bit better
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Ok, was just curious, I was literally only trying eco mode because I knew the whole tank would be used in the one one trip and wanted to see if it was much of a difference. What a boring ass trip it was lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
The range is an estimate based on the last several km of driving. No one knows the exact algorithm but it is simply a guess based on amount in the tank and the mileage you have been getting based on recent driving history. Driving slower or leaving the mountains (predominantly downhill for a long time) will leave you with a phenomenal range which could then change radically based on the next set of driving conditions.

The only way to really know mileage is to run several tanks and divide distance by fuel used.
Agree, working out the actual mileage for fuel used, is the only accurate way to gauge mpg.

As you say, the range is an estimate on current driving situation. As a rolling calculation, it will vary according to current fuel demands.

Take my own typical drive, of 12 miles each way, to my mother's home. I can gain 10 - 12 miles range going to her home, then lose the gains, plus the actual distance driven coming home. Gets me back to the expected range for driving 24 miles, plus back to the true mpg average. Simple reason... I change altitude between homes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The range function tries to predict the future, with no more accurate a result than a fortune teller. If you want to know what your mileage actually was since the last time you zero'd the trip meter keep scrolling through the dash readouts.
Appreciate 0