F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I Pay Only $51.40 A Year For An Extended Warranty (NOT Clickbait)
Extreme Powerhouse

10-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

I Pay Only $51.40 A Year For An Extended Warranty (NOT Clickbait)

Never forget where you came from. Before getting my F80, I had a F30 335 X-Drive, 6-Speed manual with M-Sport package. So I figure, this may help some of you guys also on Extended Warranties.

I love the F30 and have to have I owe F30 Post a lot of credit for literally saving me almost $10K on repairs. Long story short, I had a DSC failure on my F30 which caused the rear brakes to seize up while I was driving on a major highway. As you can see in the pictures below it caused my M-Sport calipers to turn black from the heat, melted my center caps, melted the wheel weights, damaged my brake lines, melted the brake pads and warped the rotors.

In this picture you can see the rotors glowing. This was after I was able to merge onto the shoulder of the highway.

After researching this forum, I came across a post with Geico's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. It was a coverage I added onto the car when I first bought the car.

Extended warranties, a long debated topic on the forums. I put together this video and explained how I managed to get an extended warranty for ONLY $51.40 a YEAR. This isn't click bait either, I literally pay $51.40 a year.

Whether you plan on leasing your next car or plan on purchasing your next car, you'll be asked by the finance manager at the dealership about extended warranties.

I personally plan on keeping my 2018 Austin Yellow M3 for a LONG time. So I added GEICO's MBI Coverage (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). This added protection is going to cover all mechanical problems for 7 years and up to 100,000 miles.

Watch the video to see how exactly it works and why it's a great option.

Hopefully this video will save some of you guys some money in the future.

Read more about Geico's MBI

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured

Last edited by TheDailyDriven; 10-25-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Do you have link for this coverage?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Do you have link for this coverage?

Sure its, https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/

Ill put a link also in the original post.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 2013 335i xDrive

So the car has to be less than 15 months old? That is not going to help most people with cars a few years old. Will definitely check it out if I get a newer car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Im assuming you need to have primary coverage through Geico in order to get mechanical through Geico? Or can you purchase separately?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperson1 View Post
So the car has to be less than 15 months old? That is not going to help most people with cars a few years old. Will definitely check it out if I get a newer car though.

Yeah, its definitely worth looking into when getting a newer car. You can always buy a car that 13 months old and obtain the Geico's MBI along with not taking the large depreciation as compared to buying new.

Its only worth it, if you plan on keeping your car towards that 7 year mark.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperson1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Im assuming you need to have primary coverage through Geico in order to get mechanical through Geico? Or can you purchase separately?

Yeah would you need to get Primary coverage though Geico. I think they are one of the only companies that offer this. Unless someone can correct me on that. I yet to come across another company that offers this.

Sure there are other insurance companies that offer better rates but to have that peace of mind for that added years is worth it in my eyes. It definitely paid out on my end with the F30.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

That's cheap because your mechanical breakdown coverage is going to be covered by your manufacturers warranty in nearly every scenario that it would be covered under this product.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      10-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Interested in what your DSC failure was? Surprised it turned the caliper black.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
That's cheap because your mechanical breakdown coverage is going to be covered by your manufacturers warranty in nearly every scenario that it would be covered under this product.

Yeah, I did a review of my Insurance Policy and saw what I was paying for that and it blew my mind.

Granted it wont take effect until after your factory warranty is done which BMW offers 4 years / 50,000 miles. So for an additional 3 years and another 50K in miles, its really CHEAP. I think Geico banks on people that add this coverage and get rid or their cars before their factory warranty or people that just forget they have the coverage.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:

The DSC module had a fault that caused the rear brakes to not disengage once the brakes was applied. At first it would happen for a few seconds then got progressively worse. I was actually just heading to a shop to get it looked at when it happened on the highway.

So basically my rear brakes was being engaged when my foot was off the brake. I was traveling about 70 miles an hour with flowing traffic and it took a while to merge to the side of the brake down lane. So all that time caused my brakes and rotors to over heat. I guess the M-Sport caliper paint couldn't withstand that heat.

I tried disabling fuses, holding down the traction control to disable DCS and had no luck. The F30 had about 39K miles when it happened and was just out of my factory warranty cause of time.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_austiny3llow View Post
Quote:

The DSC module had a fault that caused the rear brakes to not disengage once the brakes was applied. At first it would happen for a few seconds then got progressively worse. I was actually just heading to a shop to get it looked at when it happened on the highway.

So basically my rear brakes was being engaged when my foot was off the brake. I was traveling about 70 miles an hour with flowing traffic and it took a while to merge to the side of the brake down lane. So all that time caused my brakes and rotors to over heat. I guess the M-Sport caliper paint couldn't withstand that heat.

I tried disabling fuses, holding down the traction control to disable DCS and had no luck. The F30 had about 39K miles when it happened and was just out of my factory warranty cause of time.
I had it and if iirc, the premium rose each year. It did not stay at the lower rate for the term.

The other negative is Geico has the 2nd highest occurrence (behind Progressive) of raising YOUR rates for accidents that you WERE NOT at fault for.
Appreciate 1
_Mbition105.50
      10-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I had it and if iirc, the premium rose each year. It did not stay at the lower rate for the term.

The other negative is Geico has the 2nd highest occurrence (behind Progressive) of raising YOUR rates for accidents that you WERE NOT at fault for.
Pinteresting

Quote:
Yeah, its definitely worth looking into when getting a newer car. You can always buy a car that 13 months old and obtain the Geico's MBI along with not taking the large depreciation as compared to buying new.

Its only worth it, if you plan on keeping your car towards that 7 year mark.
WTF IS MBI QTF, QRZ?

Probably an after policy rectal examination. Yes, I am hard on acronyms, but hey your story is incomplete. VERY INCOMPLETE.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Pinteresting

WTF IS MBI QTF, QRZ?

Probably an after policy rectal examination. Yes, I am hard on acronyms, but hey your story is incomplete. VERY INCOMPLETE.

The first thing is to slow down and read. I clearly stated in the first post on what MBI is 👉👉(Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). Not sure what you are referring to with QTF and QRZ.

If it's incomplete then, feel free to let me know what I'm missing chief and you can keep your rectal examination to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The first thing is to slow down and read. I clearly stated in the first post on what MBI is 👉👉(Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). Not sure what you are referring to with QTF and QRZ.

If it's incomplete then, feel free to let me know what I'm missing chief and you can keep your rectal examination to yourself.
It's your rectal examination, and thanks for clarification. See my post above about the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #16
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
I have the Geico MBI. Even though the car is still under warranty, it already paid for itself when I had my stone-chipped windshield replaced. With the MBI, the deductible was only $50.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Pinteresting

WTF IS MBI QTF, QRZ?

Hey man, why is deviantspeed talking about a rectal examination? sorry you had to go through that!
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #18
NightHawk_55
Rep
Drives: F80 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey man, why is deviantspeed talking about a rectal examination? sorry you had to go through that!
Not sure what deviantspeed was talking about. Read through all the posts and didn't see a problem. Looks like a case of trolling

My wife is picking up a new 340I next month and we are going to contact Geico about the MBI. It might save us a decent amount of money since she usually keeps her cars 8 plus years and only racks up 7K in miles a year.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #19
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk_55 View Post
Not sure what deviantspeed was talking about. Read through all the posts and didn't see a problem. Looks like a case of trolling

My wife is picking up a new 340I next month and we are going to contact Geico about the MBI. It might save us a decent amount of money since she usually keeps her cars 8 plus years and only racks up 7K in miles a year.
Acronyms are what's for dinner.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

AAA offers this too without an age limit . They call it a vehicle assurance program or something along those lines. Mercury insurance is another but I've never heard of them!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #21
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post
AAA offers this too without an age limit . They call it a vehicle assurance program or something along those lines. Mercury insurance is another but I've never heard of them!

Thanks for letting me know. I may have to look into that for my family members that don't carry Geico.

Appreciate 0