BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) IDrive intermittently failing

10-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

IDrive intermittently failing

Intersted if anyone had had similar problem - having set up a sat nav route and driving along the iDrive suddenly fails to a blank screen.
A short while later the BMW IDrive connect logo appears and the system restarts with a "Starting Satellite Navigation" followed by the option to stop or continue guidance.

Opting for continue guidance it continues to give instructions as expected - but sometimes after a while the system fails again and the above is repeated.
Can be a real problem as it failed as I was trying to navigate out of the NEC at Birmingham at the time of one failure during the evening rush hour.

If radio or media player is in use at the time this fails as well. Screen just goes blank as if the power to the unit had been disconnected.

Also notice that on occasions the "Starting Sat Nav" takes a longer than normal time for the system to kick in
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

As no replies I can only assume no other owners have had the same problem - however car has been into dealers to have the issue checked out.

Service advisor didn't seem surprised by the failure and suggested it could just be a case of reprogramming the iDrive which is exactly what's been carried out.

Will see how it goes now - no more failures I hope?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
mDrive1
Rep
Drives: X1

This happened to me 3 or 4 times, but when the mobile phone was connected to the USB port under the armrest. The whole system has been restarted. Nothing happens when it is not connected.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

My 2016 idrive has not rebooted mid drive like that but I have experienced multiple hard freezes during utilization or boot of the navigation system. The entire idrive system has been replaced once due to these hardware faults already. The second time they reinstalled the entire OS, since then it's happened again a few times but I've found if I press and hold the power button for the radio for about 15 seconds it reboots the idrive system which most of the time resolves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
paulosportz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY16 F48 BMW X1

Mine restarted constantly until i figured out it was due to the usb connection to my mobile. Stopped connecting my fone and never been a problem since
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
Seajoi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMWx1

i have connected nothing and it fails intermittently
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 04:42 AM   #7
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Hi as I've previously posted this believe it or not is a common issue it seems as your BM age's. Software in any computer need update's so why should your car system be any different. I've always been of the opinion that cars today are so reliant on their electrical systems and generally work well from new but as the systems age 5 - 10 years down the line then glitch's happen. Very annoying and generally costly they are.
Appreciate 0