F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CA smog test xdrive
ARMA SPEED

10-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

CA smog test xdrive

Bought my 15 335i xdrive from Texas and when I brought it back to CA, had to be smogged. I thought I needed to find a smog test place set up for awd cars. Turned out not to be the case. The smog guy didn't put the car on any "dyno" or even stick that metal thing in the exhaust. He just turned on the car and checked if there were any check engine lights on. Has anyone else experienced this?

If this is really what they do, a catted downpipe is looking much more enticing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Most smog states and I would assume CA to do this check for OBD readiness along with the MIL. OBD readiness is the tricky part, not really the MIL>
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      10-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
Bought my 15 335i xdrive from Texas and when I brought it back to CA, had to be smogged. I thought I needed to find a smog test place set up for awd cars. Turned out not to be the case. The smog guy didn't put the car on any "dyno" or even stick that metal thing in the exhaust. He just turned on the car and checked if there were any check engine lights on. Has anyone else experienced this?

If this is really what they do, a catted downpipe is looking much more enticing.
In california, late model OBD2 cars are not smogged like cars from the 90s. Before advanced computers and emissions readiness monitors built into the ECU, they put the "sniffer" in the exhaust to measure NOx, hydrocarbons, CO, etc. I still have to do this every year or two with my 3000gt.

For your BMW, they will just plug into the OBD2 port and check readiness monitors. This will be things like O2 sensors, catalyst working properly, etc. Having said that, checking for readiness is NOT the same as just not having a CEL. Having a CEL is usually an automatic fail, but just because you have no CEL, does not mean all of your emission monitors are in "READY" state. Getting a catted DP and/or hiding the CEL with a tune will not put you in ready state. There are only 1 or two catted DPs that "guarantee" no CEL, and i have not seen many confirmations if any that these also show READY.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

In california, late model OBD2 cars are not smogged like cars from the 90s. Before advanced computers and emissions readiness monitors built into the ECU, they put the "sniffer" in the exhaust to measure NOx, hydrocarbons, CO, etc. I still have to do this every year or two with my 3000gt.

For your BMW, they will just plug into the OBD2 port and check readiness monitors. This will be things like O2 sensors, catalyst working properly, etc. Having said that, checking for readiness is NOT the same as just not having a CEL. Having a CEL is usually an automatic fail, but just because you have no CEL, does not mean all of your emission monitors are in "READY" state. Getting a catted DP and/or hiding the CEL with a tune will not put you in ready state. There are only 1 or two catted DPs that "guarantee" no CEL, and i have not seen many confirmations if any that these also show READY.
Wow thanks for the detailed response! Anyone else in CA comment on catted downpipe and passing a smog test?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
RSicks
Typical Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Wow thanks for the detailed response! Anyone else in CA comment on catted downpipe and passing a smog test?
As long as you can gain readiness and do not have a CEL in CA, you are golden on the OBDII test. I believe you can have 1 not ready, but it cannot be the catalytic converter. However, it depends on the shop if you pass the visual.

I passed the OBDII, but left on my ER charge pipe on my old N54 and it did not pass the visual at the first shop. Hid the ER logos that they put all over their silicone and went to a second shop and it passed.

Most shops aren't looking to fail you in CA, but they have to have their own backs if it is blatant. They have no idea if you are from CARB and trying to catch them slipping
pkiledj46.00
      10-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSicks View Post
Quote:
As long as you can gain readiness and do not have a CEL in CA, you are golden on the OBDII test. I believe you can have 1 not ready, but it cannot be the catalytic converter. However, it depends on the shop if you pass the visual.

I passed the OBDII, but left on my ER charge pipe on my old N54 and it did not pass the visual at the first shop. Hid the ER logos that they put all over their silicone and went to a second shop and it passed.

Most shops aren't looking to fail you in CA, but they have to have their own backs if it is blatant. They have no idea if you are from CARB and trying to catch them slipping
Wait, I could fail a smog test because of a...charge pipe?? Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the charge pipe a visual thing or is there an emissions "ready" sensor on it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Wait, I could fail a smog test because of a...charge pipe?? Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the charge pipe a visual thing or is there an emissions "ready" sensor on it?
There is a visual inspection associated with the smog test, even on older cars this was the case. Technically any modification is supposed to have a CARB (California air resources board) sticker to be smog legal. This is an expensive process, so most manufacturers do not go through it. This is why most manufacturers in the aftermarket will not sell or ship parts of California (just look at their websites).

So yes, you could technically fail for a charge pipe.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      10-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I have a Scangauge II. When I used it on my tuned Golf R it showed no CELs but did show a Not Ready condition. On my Stage 2 335i with a catted Fabspeed it shows no CELs and a Ready condition. I'll be due for a smog test next time, 5 years here, so I guess we'll see if that Ready reading holds true.
      10-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
I have a Scangauge II. When I used it on my tuned Golf R it showed no CELs but did show a Not Ready condition. On my Stage 2 335i with a catted Fabspeed it shows no CELs and a Ready condition. I'll be due for a smog test next time, 5 years here, so I guess we'll see if that Ready reading holds true.
BM3 stage 2?

Did the tune get rid of the CEL or was there never a CEL after installing the fabspeed catted downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

AA Tune. Never mentioned needing CEL clearing to the tuner. They may do that to all Stage 2 tunes, but I really don't know. I did return to the stock tune for the annual service appointment and didn't get a CEL in the 50 or so miles I drove.