Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Wireless charging tray - will not stay charging!

10-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Wireless charging tray - will not stay charging!

I have had my new 330e for a week and I just can't get the wireless charging tray to stay charging my S10.

Pop the phone in, carefully positioned, and the light starts blue, then after 5-10 mins it goes orange and stops charging. A quick reposition and it starts again, then stops after a few minutes.

The phone gets VERY hot each time, which it does not do on any other wireless charging pad I use at work, home or in hotels etc. The case is a Spigen, which is wireless charging compliant, so I think the BMW tray must either be very poorly designed or faulty.

I've found a few threads on other forums where people have had the same issue, which in the main has been resolved by a replacement charging tray, but BMW seem loathed to admit there's a major issue, and some dealers are palming people away saying its the devices or the cases.

Anyone else having this issue? Wireless charging in the car was a big positive for me as I'm in and out all day, and so its very disappointing that its so flaky.........
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

My Iphone XS Max charges well despite being in a case. No problem with it stopping charging, so maybe you do have a faulty wireless charging tray?

However, I have noticed that the phone and tray become hot to such an extend that my left leg becomes hot resting against the centre console when the phone is charging. Was going to mention it to the dealer, as I don't believe it should become so warm.
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Have this on my G01 X3 incredibly annoying. Never specifying tech pack again.
      11-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Knight34
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post
I have had my new 330e for a week and I just can't get the wireless charging tray to stay charging my S10.

Pop the phone in, carefully positioned, and the light starts blue, then after 5-10 mins it goes orange and stops charging. A quick reposition and it starts again, then stops after a few minutes.

The phone gets VERY hot each time, which it does not do on any other wireless charging pad I use at work, home or in hotels etc. The case is a Spigen, which is wireless charging compliant, so I think the BMW tray must either be very poorly designed or faulty.

I've found a few threads on other forums where people have had the same issue, which in the main has been resolved by a replacement charging tray, but BMW seem loathed to admit there's a major issue, and some dealers are palming people away saying its the devices or the cases..

Anyone else having this issue? Wireless charging in the car was a big positive for me as I'm in and out all day, and so its very disappointing that its so flaky.........
I have the same problem. I dropped it off to be looked at today so no response yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:03 AM   #5
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep

Ok so I'm about to book my car in to get my wireless tray checked out, as it won't stay charging.

Of those of you who have had the issue looked at, how many have had it work reliably afterwards?

Are you able to drop a phone neatly out of juice onto it and it charge quickly, as when mine does work, it is PAINFULLY slow to charge, unlike my ones at home?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight34 View Post
I have the same problem. I dropped it off to be looked at today so no response yet.
Oh no, looks like you have a bit of list ongoing there

Mine (charging pad) is still no better, bizarrely I;d just accepted it and gone back to a cable but I shoudl ask:-

Has anyone successfully had this resolved fix by the dealer?

Thanks
Chris
      11-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Tbh mine seems fine is it slow but wireless chargers generally are, not charged my phone since I got the car a week ago except using the in car wireless (iPhone 11 pro max)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #8
Knight34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight34 View Post
Oh no, looks like you have a bit of list ongoing there

Mine (charging pad) is still no better, bizarrely I;d just accepted it and gone back to a cable but I shoudl ask:-

Has anyone successfully had this resolved fix by the dealer?

Thanks
Chris
I actually don't know what the outcome of my visit was yet as I collected the car from the sales team at the weekend when the service team were off and they had no details of what was done. I've not been on a long drive yet to test it but last I heard the service team were saying they couldn't change anything under warranty unless they could replicate the fault, which they couldn't. Well, they wouldn't be able to unless they took the car for an hour's drive to get the pad hot enough. I think what I'll do is call in on the way back after a long drive when it's failed and demonstrate it then.

The list issue - the other issue was a passenger side electric wing mirror fail. The part had corroded (!) and was replaced. All good now.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
Knight34
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post
Ok so I'm about to book my car in to get my wireless tray checked out, as it won't stay charging.

Of those of you who have had the issue looked at, how many have had it work reliably afterwards?

Are you able to drop a phone neatly out of juice onto it and it charge quickly, as when mine does work, it is PAINFULLY slow to charge, unlike my ones at home?
Even when it works it's always slow, although I don't know about painfully slow. I think that's the nature of the beast, they just are slower.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

When I checked out the Supra at my local Toyota. I brought my phone in with me.

I popped it in and out about 20 times. Ooo matron. Every single damn time the BLUE charging light came on. Every time. It stayed lit while I messed with the whole interior.

I got back outside, placed the same phone (obviously) onto my G01 X3 wireless pad. Straight to ORANGE!!!!

The BMW implementation of this is an absolute joke. Worst option I've ever had in a Bimmer. It actually distracts me driving as I'm on the lookout for the Orange light of doom.

I guess that's why it's optioned in the Tech lack with HUD to balance out the distraction!!!

I just use my cable on a long trip, phone is 100% every time.

Sigh, unlike BMW to get this so wrong.
      11-19-2019, 03:12 AM   #11
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep

Took my Samsung S10 phone out of its thin Spigen case today to see what happened and it stayed charging without any problem.......

Clearly the charging pad design is very poor and not powerful enough to work with 'wireless charger friendly' cases......sigh.

Another 'almost good' feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

had the same problem with my S10e, the wireless charging is useless in this car, I don't use it anymore
Appreciate 0