BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Gunge or Plug

10-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Gunge or Plug

In the event of a puncture should I use the gunge as provided or am I better getting an aftermarket plug kit?
      10-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

I've had my tyres repaired with a plug kit, problem free, however I'd recommend going to a mechanic instead of doing it yourself. First it can be dangerous if not done properly (tyre can explode at higher speeds), second you won't be able to take the tyre off the rim without a proper machine anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
I've had my tyres repaired with a plug kit, problem free, however I'd recommend going to a mechanic instead of doing it yourself. First it can be dangerous if not done properly (tyre can explode at higher speeds), second you won't be able to take the tyre off the rim without a proper machine anyways.
I was envisaging an emergency roadside repair in my post. I would of course follow up with a professional repair or replacement if deemed necessary.
      10-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Use the gunge only in a true emergency. Your tire guy will have to go scoop it out of the tire and rim before fixing it, and he/she will thank you for not using it It throws off the wheel balance badly, so that's another reason to avoid using it.

I would never try using a plug at roadside. To do that successfully means rasping the edges of the puncture, applying a solvent, and pulling the treated plug strings through properly. You don't want any dirt or debris in there...
Appreciate 1
nonot15.00
      10-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
I was envisaging an emergency roadside repair in my post. I would of course follow up with a professional repair or replacement if deemed necessary.
Oh, well if it is really just a small puncture, you can just drive slowly towards the next repair shop and periodically inflate the tyre with a portable compressor. I would advise always carrying one of these in the trunk, it is a lifesaver.

If it is more than a puncture, spare tyre/rft/tow truck are the only reasonable options.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Oh, well if it is really just a small puncture, you can just drive slowly towards the next repair shop and periodically inflate the tyre with a portable compressor. I would advise always carrying one of these in the trunk, it is a lifesaver.

If it is more than a puncture, spare tyre/rft/tow truck are the only reasonable options.
Not me. That is why they put a tyre monitor system in the car. You risk damage to all wheel dive system running different circumference wheels.